What's new

Plume or mold

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I believe if you read the entire 10+ page Habanos forum thread that even though they have identified the plume samples as either mold or some sort of bacteria they are not denying that some bacterial or mold growth can change the makeup of the tobacco making it more appealing to some palates. The standard definition of plume is the crystallization of oils that have migrated to the outside of the wrapper during a proper aging process. The forum has not found these crystals. The forum has found that some strains of bacteria form shiny, crystalline like structures that could possibly be identified as plume and the chemical changes made by the bacteria could be pleasant.

So, no "plume" has not been identified in cigars. Is there a biological process that occurs during aging that forms crystalline type structures on the wrapper of a cigar that may make the flavors in the tobacco more appealing to some palates. yes. Is it an slow, prolonged extension of the fermenting process, possibly?
I have seen this many time over the 25 + years that I have been smoking Vintage cigars especially with 70's and 80's cigars in Cello!!!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have heard about plume for decades.
never seen anything that did not look like mold or mildew.
glad there is some evidence that it is all mold.
what say you, fellow FOG ??
@Cigary43
I've been relegated to only reading posts but since this was brought to me I'm only too happy to respond. 50 plus years of cigars had allowed me to view Plume....3 times. I literally was shocked to discover this anamoly 10 years ago and put it in a single container to continue to watch it. Weeks later there was no mold growth....months go by...no mold at all. It was like owning a unicorn and wanting to display it but reason took hold. 8 months layer I smoked it...it was a Cohiba Espy and it was a religious experience to which I've never duplicated again.

Plume is real....seen it as I said 3 times....1st time was in 1995 with a CC...Partagas Lusitania....2nd time with an NC I can't remember....and the last one with the Espy...2008. If you ever experience Plume.....its like sex for the first time.....a smoking hot experience for sure.

Now, back to my reading posts as I promised to certain folks.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been relegated to only reading posts but since this was brought to me I'm only too happy to respond. 50 plus years of cigars had allowed me to view Plume....3 times. I literally was shocked to discover this anamoly 10 years ago and put it in a single container to continue to watch it. Weeks later there was no mold growth....months go by...no mold at all. It was like owning a unicorn and wanting to display it but reason took hold. 8 months layer I smoked it...it was a Cohiba Espy and it was a religious experience to which I've never duplicated again.

Plume is real....seen it as I said 3 times....1st time was in 1995 with a CC...Partagas Lusitania....2nd time with an NC I can't remember....and the last one with the Espy...2008. If you ever experience Plume.....its like sex for the first time.....a smoking hot experience for sure.

Now, back to my reading posts as I promised to certain folks.
What did it look like? Was it white freckles? Was it fuzzy? Or was it like tiny shiny crystals? Fascinating

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The bounty for a cigar with Plume is $250 US or $350 Australian, store credit. Clams must be cheaper in Australia

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Send them your prized stick with priceless plume youve been saving for decades and they say it was a mushroom strain and they smoke it for ya. Sounds like a good deal to me. JK

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What did it look like? Was it white freckles? Was it fuzzy? Or was it like tiny shiny crystals? Fascinating
It was about as white as angel dust...not the drug. It was almost like a cigar beignet..... powdered but not clumped...it covered the cigar from head to foot and while I put it under a magnifying glass....it was no doubt....Plume. I have a photo of it somewhere and if I find I'll return and post it......back to reading.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was about as white as angel dust...not the drug. It was almost like a cigar beignet..... powdered but not clumped...it covered the cigar from head to foot and while I put it under a magnifying glass....it was no doubt....Plume. I have a photo of it somewhere and if I find I'll return and post it......back to reading.
You can read my thread on here about Gurkha :)

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Plume is extremely rare and once you see a cigar with plume its like oh thats what it looks like .....shoot I have been smoking moldy cigars lol