What's new

Poll: Have you ever had a Beetle Problem?

Poll: Have you ever had a Beetle problem?

• Yes... and I still live in fear.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • No... still have a perfectly in tact stash.

Votes: 124 86.1%

• Total voters

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Define problem. I have had a few sticks,, usually trades, but quarantine procedures made them a non issue

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Nope knock on wood, Mold twice once from a ISOM site and once from leaving a small desktop where the sun hit it on a summers day a bit to long. At least it was a smaller one. :)

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
yep, I had them hatch accidentally when my humidor of aged cuban Monte #2's humidity got too high. Fortunately they only burred into a few, and only burred into the foot of the cigars that they hit. I brought the humidity down and they crawled out of the cigars and died in the humidor. Never had a problem since. I smoked all the ones they got into and they still smoked perfectly.

I have only had them hatch out of cuban cigars.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It does seem like most people that have said they had a problem are from FL or TX. I don't let my house get above about 72 so I hope I am okay but as my collection grows I get more and more scared.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Define problem. I have had a few sticks,, usually trades, but quarantine procedures made them a non issue
Same here. I got a box in the mail, put the sticks in the humi, and never thought about it. For some reason I reached in the next day to grab one of the sticks I was bombed, an Oliva MB2. I feel like the Cigar Gods handed me that cigar, because it was out of me routine to grab a stick before it had acclimated to my humi. Normally would have been at least 30 days before that cigar woudld have been in my hand. Anyway, i noticed a small amount of "dust in the bottom of the cello once I had taken the cigar out, and figured it was from a bettle, the sure enough, ther it was, a hole right in the side of my smoke. There was not a hole in the cello, so i assume it was in that cigar from the factory. Either way, i was scared and promptly went through the task of freezing my stash, and like abopve probably not needed, bu t I did it. Never seen on since. I di just switch from a Wine cooler to a cabinete, and moved to a house with no AC, so we'll see what happens.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've always wondered about beetles. I received my first humi about two years ago and have only heard stories about them. Where I live the average year round temperature is 68 degrees and we may have ten days the whole year where it will break 80. When the heat goes up, the humidity will go down almost all of the time. If there's a heat wave I put my humis in the closet under the winter blankets to stay cool. I think I would have a childish fit if my sticks were eaten by pests! At what temp do they start to hatch? Does it have to be humid as well?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started out with a crappy humidor that I didn't keep that well with a bunch of crappy bundled cigar boom left-overs. I left them alone for about two months and when I opened them up, they were shredded and there were still tiny beetles crawling around inside. Bleeeeeeh! :bigeyes:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hate to admit this because it makes me feel so dirty. Last year I got hit but caught it in time. I have my humidors in my bedroom and last fall when the weather was changing it got too hot in my bedroom and my temps soared to between 78 and 80 degrees for about a week. I only lost 5 cigars but I learned.

In the winter my humidors go into my bedroom and in the spring and summer they go down in my cooler basement. You really have to watch those temps!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky and not had any beetle problems so far. I had all my smokes in a wine cooler though most of last year, but now also have a cabinet to store boxes in. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the cabinet this summer to make sure temps are getting too high.

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me in 1998-1999 with a CC. The little critter tore up my stick, then died. I should dig up the photo I took of it. Ticked me off, but it didn't seem to ruin anything else. Looked like it just burrowed right from the center out.

I read that if your temp/humi get up there, these babies hatch. So that means we're smoking beetle eggs regularly?

Update (found the print and took a cell phone shot of it):

Last edited:

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Yes, early on I was uninformed with regards to segregating incoming sticks from the humi and I picked up a Leon Jimenes from this Head Shop and stuck it in the humi and came back in a week or so and found the results.

Luckily, I was able to catch it in time, freeze the sticks and only lost like five or six sticks.

Lesson Learned...Have a resting humi for new sticks regardless of source!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Happened to me in 1998-1999 with a CC. The little critter tore up my stick, then died. I should dig up the photo I took of it. Ticked me off, but it didn't seem to ruin anything else. Looked like it just burrowed right from the center out.

I read that if your temp/humi get up there, these babies hatch. So that means we're smoking beetle eggs regularly?
Yeah, pretty much.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Yup, I had them hatch in some CC Monte #2's. They ravaged the end of a few but then they died and I dumped them out of the humidor. The cigars still smoked like a dream, nothing lost to them. And if there were any inside the cigar well then they probably tasted good when the fire hit their ass!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have read a bunch of post on this and never heard anyone clarify about this.

For the people how have had a problem did you ever have that issue with a box/singles that you have had for a while(ie longer than 60 days)?