What's new

Portable Ashtray

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A fine BOTL was willing to part with a Oneoff ashtray in a trade recently. I just received it today. Fortunately he had the original box with the information sheet. For what it's worth, and if it's helpful, this is what it says:

"It is made of a thin stainless steel sheet, and has a steel spring on which there is a cigar rest made of Zama, a metal alloy."

I tried reading the sheet thickness on a cheap Harbor Freight caliper, but it's so thin it didn't even register.

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I've never heard of such an animal.

According to Wikipedia "Zama alloy is a name for an alloy made of zinc, aluminium, copper and magnesium "

Apparently Zama is an alternative to lead in casting/extrusion applications.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A fine BOTL was willing to part with a Oneoff ashtray in a trade recently. I just received it today. Fortunately he had the original box with the information sheet. For what it's worth, and if it's helpful, this is what it says:

"It is made of a thin stainless steel sheet, and has a steel spring on which there is a cigar rest made of Zama, a metal alloy."

I tried reading the sheet thickness on a cheap Harbor Freight caliper, but it's so thin it didn't even register.

.006 is what it went

The .016 I bought definetley won't work, much to rigid. I have some more material on order, should be here today.

Gone, I'll get the case scanned, then email it to you. :stretchgr

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
.006 is what it went

The .016 I bought definetley won't work, much to rigid. I have some more material on order, should be here today.

Gone, I'll get the case scanned, then email it to you. :stretchgr
Another thing occured to me today while looking at the cigar rest.. I remember you saying that it looked over engineered or something. I think the reason for this is it adds a good bit of weight to the assembled ashtray, adding to it's stability. Your cigar rest looked pretty beef too, so you probably accomplished the same thing. I guess that's why they used Zama, a lead substitute instead of aluminum, the extra weight.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Another thing occured to me today while looking at the cigar rest.. I remember you saying that it looked over engineered or something. I think the reason for this is it adds a good bit of weight to the assembled ashtray, adding to it's stability. Your cigar rest looked pretty beef too, so you probably accomplished the same thing. I guess that's why they used Zama, a lead substitute instead of aluminum, the extra weight.

Yeah, there is a fair amount of machine work that goes into the oneoff. Now that I have the one Chris sent me, they are nice-just not c note nice. The cradle the cigar rests in actually slides on the wire frame, so when the flat portion is put in the case-the cradle folds so it slides right in on top of the sheet metal. The ones going to the boys here, won't be as fancy-but will be as functional and definetley have more of a man cave personality.

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm really enjoying this one, and agreed definitely not with $100, but well worth the trade.

I can't wait to see some pictures of your finished work.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just scanned the cover and the original, that Chris so kindly loaned me. These will both be sent to GoneDave later this a.m.

Finally found the right material to fashion the cradle frame from. A little work on the lathe, a bit of tig welding and the cradle will be there. Think you guys are gonna like the way these turn out. The tray- I finally found that .005 brass works very well. It takes the bend, and goes back to it's original shape-no memory. It's also quite easy to work with. The cradle frame is made from 1/16 alloy steel drill blank rod. The cradle will be mild steel tubing, tig welded to a rotating base-turned on the lathe and center drilled for weight purposes.

Hang in there boys, slowly but surely. The weather got real nice, and I was a bit sidetracked-if you know what I mean. :waving:

FORE

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just scanned the cover and the original, that Chris so kindly loaned me. These will both be sent to GoneDave later this a.m.

Finally found the right material to fashion the cradle frame from. A little work on the lathe, a bit of tig welding and the cradle will be there. Think you guys are gonna like the way these turn out. The tray- I finally found that .005 brass works very well. It takes the bend, and goes back to it's original shape-no memory. It's also quite easy to work with. The cradle frame is made from 1/16 alloy steel drill blank rod. The cradle will be mild steel tubing, tig welded to a rotating base-turned on the lathe and center drilled for weight purposes.

Hang in there boys, slowly but surely. The weather got real nice, and I was a bit sidetracked-if you know what I mean. :waving:

FORE

:guitar:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nice going Bruce... How was golf? hehe

Been hittin it alot, here lately. Won a 2 man-mens club tourn. on the 5th (NCGA 4 ball qualifier), to qualify for the sectionals in august.
Bummer:crying: , gonna have to go back down to Monterey (Poppy Hills) to represent the club.:applause:

Best part is, the MC pays for all the golf.

I'll tell you boys, you ever get a chance to play down there-don't pass it up. Don't have to blow yer wad on Pebble either, to play a very nice course. Spygall, Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills are all very nice tracts. :glassesgr

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0

FORE
A lot of hard work going into these. I am amazed by the aibilities of the borthers on this site. Thanks for perservereing.

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Somehow I missed this thread previously. Those mock-ups look fantastic. Really looking forward to seeing the final result. Conceptually, I think it is a real winner.

While pulling it out of a pocket in a leather case is appealing, I'd be more interested in it fitting in my cigar caddy. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just an update fella's

Spent most of the afternoon yesterday in the shop, watching Adam Scott win the Nelson and turning metal on the lathe. Very close here, have about another hr. on the lathe and some tig welding to do-viola'. I'll send DC's and post up some pic's of what will be landing in yer mailbox's. :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just an update fella's

Spent most of the afternoon yesterday in the shop, watching Adam Scott win the Nelson and turning metal on the lathe. Very close here, have about another hr. on the lathe and some tig welding to do-viola'. I'll send DC's and post up some pic's of what will be landing in yer mailbox's. :smokingbo
I hope to get a proto type to try out soon, so maybe after a final piece arrives I can verify fitment and send those out too..:guitar:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Just an update fella's

I can't wait to see the pics. :blob: :blob: :blob: :applause: :applause: :applause: :blob: :blob: :blob: