What's new

Possible fakes....what do you think?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So, how many people have heard this before? My brother has a buddy who has family still living in Cuba. He just got back from Cuba after a holiday trip. He gave my brother and I some cigars.

I know that this is a common story and usually ends in fakes. My brother had mentioned to him at some point that I was into cigars and supposedly his buddies dad has always enjoyed cigars, so maybe there is hope that these are legit.

I have smoked many different habanos but have never committed to Cohibas mainly due to price. So my experience is fairly limited with this brand. I have yet to smoke one but they smell very nice and the construction seems solid.

So without further delay here are some pictures. Let me know what you think in regards to the bands and construction. I know the ultimate test may be to smoke one but I just want some opinions based on sight. I have done my research and they appear pretty solid, the band looks pretty good to me. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Attachments

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Depends if he got them from an authorized store while there. Smoke em. If you enjoy them it doesn't matter. Also if you can take a better pic of the band, a cross shot of the triple cap and the foot

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Like the other guys... I'm not the best to ask. But when comparing it to the one CoRo I have...

• Mine has a distinct triple cap
  • The bottom part of the label is more orange than yellow
  • There is a little black line between the third row of boxes and the gold fram around "Cohiba"

Either way.... smoke it!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Looks like a double cap, but it's hard to tell by the pics. Smoke em though. If they'e real they're real, if they're fake they're. Enjoy em.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Depends if he got them from an authorized store while there. Smoke em. If you enjoy them it doesn't matter. Also if you can take a better pic of the band, a cross shot of the triple cap and the foot

I agree, smoke one you'll probably never know if he got them from and authorized vendor... Honesty at this point it's not like you're going to take them back right? Smoke it if you like then you just got a nice cigar. I think it looks real to me but like JFire said would like to see the triple cap shot better, can't quite make it out to see the layers.

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. On cA, you will likely get a bunch of self proclaimed experts, having been smoking cigars for a year, who will use the opportunity to give bad information.

As for the OP. I can't tell you if they are fake or not based on a picture. However, I can tell you that the ole "I have family in Cuba" thing has been around forever, and not ONCE have the cigars been legit.

If you or your friend was looking to purchase, I would simply suggest: no

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe farm rolled, maybe home rolled, maybe legit, but they are Cuban if they came from Cuba (I don't think they import NC's?).

Enjoy the smokes....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The band is not correct so yes they are fake. But like other have said they could possible be made with Cuban tobacco. I suggest to dissect one and find out what it is made with. I have seen these things made with nice long filler and also ones made with what appears to be something swept off a floor.

This is a correct Cohiba band. See three rows of squares are completely visible above the Cohiba and the "Habana Cuba" site lower and the yellow area is wider on the correct band then your band. The cigar you have appears to be a Siglo V size.
Hope this helps.

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seriously guys, bands don't matter. Some fakes have legit bands, and some legit bands look so terrible as to make you think they could be fake..

the only way to know is to know the vendor, or know what the cigar SHOULD taste like.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks guys for all your help. I did notice the row of blocks being cut off. And I thought the writing of Habana, Cuba is thin.

I definitely wasn't looking for a source, he just offered to get some for my brother. And then he gave them to me. I have about a dozen so I may dissect one to see what the insides look like. Then I figure I will smoke one.

I loved telling the story because of all the years I have been cruising boards and websites, this story is so classic and always leads to fakes. It took all I had to not laugh when my brother excitedly told me about his score. Since he is not into cigars, I just thanked him for his generosity and thought. Then stored them in a separate humidor.

I will take a few more pics if anyone is still interested, I think I will take one apart and smoke one this weekend and then give a little update.

Thanks again for looking, I thought it was a funny story!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
seriously guys, bands don't matter. Some fakes have legit bands, and some legit bands look so terrible as to make you think they could be fake..

the only way to know is to know the vendor, or know what the cigar SHOULD taste like.
I will never buy Cubans from you.