What's new

Post your Shaving Brushes.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I only have to shave about twice a week, I grow facial hair like a 16 year old girl. The shave cream I bought kinda burns my face It burned immediately upon application....any recommendations on shave creams or soap without a bunch of acids in them? Or is than an essential ingredient ? I have sensitive skin and its relatively dry to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I'd stick with unscented soaps and cremes if you have pretty sensitive skin to begin with. Cold River Soap Works makes an amazing sensitive skin soap. A little on the higher end but it's my go to soap maker. Finish it off with a nice sensitive skin balm after your shave and you'll be set! Also can't go wrong with art of shaving sensitive unscented stuff.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Id definitely suggest either a good synthetic or a nice badger brush, If im not mistaking, that's a boar thats died to look like a badger brush correct?
It is, I dunno why I bought boar I thought I bought badger. Was not paying attention, should have bought the one I wanted.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
It is, I dunno why I bought boar I thought I bought badger. Was not paying attention, should have bought the one I wanted.

That's a pretty decent brush for the money. I have heard decent things about them. I think the loft may be a tad high for a 24mm silvertip. Normally a good ratio for a silvertip knot would be a 2:1 ratio for loft to knot diameter. The highest id personally go on a 24mm silvertip would be 50mm. The 2 band badger I made myself i have at a 50mm loft, and I couldnt see it being any higher. It would definitely get to be too floppy for my taste.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
That's a pretty decent brush for the money. I have heard decent things about them. I think the loft may be a tad high for a 24mm silvertip. Normally a good ratio for a silvertip knot would be a 2:1 ratio for loft to knot diameter. The highest id personally go on a 24mm silvertip would be 50mm. The 2 band badger I made myself i have at a 50mm loft, and I couldnt see it being any higher. It would definitely get to be too floppy for my taste.
Is the badger or synthetic softer than the boar?

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Is the badger or synthetic softer than the boar?

To my personal senses I would say synthetic a good badger would be tied for the softest, than boar. But I haven't broken in a good boar yet so I cant give the best advice. I would personally go for a badger to be honest. The first couple brushes I had were synthetic and once I finally made my first personal 2band badger, it wasn't even the same. You will be surprised at how soft the badger gets once wet, the first couple uses of my 2band it felt like gel tips.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'd stick with unscented soaps and cremes if you have pretty sensitive skin to begin with. Cold River Soap Works makes an amazing sensitive skin soap. A little on the higher end but it's my go to soap maker. Finish it off with a nice sensitive skin balm after your shave and you'll be set! Also can't go wrong with art of shaving sensitive unscented stuff.
@Anthony_Joseph

Stirling Soap "Naked & Smooth" soap.
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/naked-smooth-shave/

Mike's Natural Soaps Unscented soap. (scroll down to find it)
http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/Mikes_Natural_Soaps/Tallow_shave_tin.html

Last edited:

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So I'm waiting for more details, but I got an email this morning from one of my personal shopper's at Dunhill (maker of the pipes, cigars, leathergoods, etc.) that I thought you all would appreciate.
I get updates for anything new that's in rose gold or ostrich leather and she sent me this this afternoon... I've always had an interest in learning to shave, rather than using my electric shaver and this might convert me.
The rose gold shaving kit is only $1,090 - which is about $1,090 more than I need to spend on something I don't need... but its bad ass enough to convince me to give it a try (note the pictured rose gold lighter is only $490)

image003.jpg

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't have a close-up of just the brush handy but here's a shot that includes it:

Click for larger version

It's a Rooney "Super Silvertip" Model 1, size 2. Our water is heavy with iron, so during the years that have passed since this photo was taken, the bristles have taken on a decidedly fox-like appearance and the handle has quite the reddish patina.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well I decided that I wanted a new shaving brush (note the word want verse need) and I wanted it to be custom made by Rudy Vey. I contacted Rudy yesterday about making me a brush with a flat Shavemac 2 band Silvertip 24mm knot and set in a beehive White Zebra striped handle with a little less than 1:2 ratio loft. I received an email today from Rudy that the handle was made, on the way to engraving, then glue up and shipping on Monday. Incredible! If you are looking for a bespoke custom made brush at a reasonable price given the outstanding craftsmanship I highly recommend Rudy Vey. Easy to deal with and excellent communications. Here is a photo he sent me of the finished handle with the knot set in but unglued.
IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg