What's new

preparing glass jars?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey guys,

So i've read that you have to boil your Ball jars, sanitize the lids, so on and so forth. But when you stick your paws in there 2 weeks from now to pack a bowl, didn't all that work go down the tubes?

Secondly, what is your method of preparing jars for your loose tobacco? I just ordered a pretty nice self made sampler on line and just want to be prepared for when it arrives.

Thanks!!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I wash and sterilize my hats in the dishwasher. If I'm planning on keeping a jar for a long time, I'll soak the lid in hot water to help soften the seal. Once I put the tobacco in, I dry the lid really well and then crank the ring on tight. It will seal well and should be good for years. Just make sure there is no tobacco bits on the rim of the jar. You want a clean glass-to-lid connection all the way around. No need to boil the jars.

If it's not for long term cellaring then I just make sure everything is clean.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wash yur paws before you stick 'em in the jar.:angelic:
Well... I am screwed lol!
Thanks guys. Was "hats" a typo or you just being a wise guy? :) :)

Dave- so you do the boil/dishwasher sanitizing step?
I didn't get "canning" jars. I got glass jars for Hobby Lobby that are dishwasher safe. I threw them in the the dishwasher when they were new. Will through them in again when putting a different tobacco into a jar.

The whole boiling thing I thought was a bit overkill unless you are planning on putting food in there for long periods of time. I open mine up from time to time to snag a bit of tobacco, so that kind of prep (boiling) would seemingly be overkill as the first time you open it, all your work to provide a sanitary environment will be for not.

Are you planning on using the tobacco in the jars now and again? Or are you intending to store and age? If your going to use it to simply store tobacco to use, you don't need to do more than ensure they are clean and dry. Dry being of utmost importance.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Good stuff to use the dishwasher prior to putting in the baccy. Someone mentioned Dollar Tree for some storage containers too. I'm on the hunt for some, but I'd really like plastic over glass because I'm limited on space. Glass and I really don't get along too well. Last resort I'll have to settle for that. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too and see what others do.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Mason jars just seal well for long term storage and don't absorb any scent from the tobacco, if there's any air exchange even with a mason jar that's not sealed well ( tobacco on the jar rim) your tobacco will dry out eventually

You can get a flat of masons for 10-12$ at the grocery, or some big one to store baggied samples in

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just remember that plastic can scratch, allowing bacteria to hide and ruin your tobacco. Plus, it can break down over time. There is a reason we use glass jars for long term food storage,. Just buy the Ball canning mason jars and, unless you're in the habit of dropping them from up high onto concrete floors, you should be safe :)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hmmm... I just fill the jars with tobacco. No washing. Hope I haven't been jarring my tobacco incorrectly. Now I have to check my older jars to make sure nothing's growing inside.
Because I home brew and I can/preserve food, I get a little (over) zealous about sterilizing and sealing. I took a canning class last year and the woman said I didn't have to take all the precautions that I do. LOL

If it's been working for you, keep going

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just remember that plastic can scratch, allowing bacteria to hide and ruin your tobacco. Plus, it can break down over time. There is a reason we use glass jars for long term food storage,. Just buy the Ball canning mason jars and, unless you're in the habit of dropping them from up high onto concrete floors, you should be safe :)
That's what I've been seeing a lot of lately. And in somewhat of "bulk" packs. I'd love to age some, but with the bomb @K Williams sent my way I have all the baccy in the baggies. I'd like to get them out of that and into jars or something of better storage. I have to check wal-mart tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on. It seems like the ball mason jars might just have to do.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
When you get those jars new take a wiff of them they stink. Put the jars in the dishwasher and wash them and wash the lids and the screw tops. If I'm storing it back for long-term believe the jar in the microwave for 60 seconds put the tobacco in and then seal the lid and it vacuum seals

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
When you get those jars new take a wiff of them they stink. Put the jars in the dishwasher and wash them and wash the lids and the screw tops. If I'm storing it back for long-term believe the jar in the microwave for 60 seconds put the tobacco in and then seal the lid and it vacuum seals
I saw that posted somewhere else here on the forum just before as someone else might've mentioned it. Or maybe you did? I don't remember who it was now. I just want the short term storage for now. I'd like to age them a little bit also. But first, I need to stop procrastinating and get myself the jars.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
That's what I've been seeing a lot of lately. And in somewhat of "bulk" packs. I'd love to age some, but with the bomb @K Williams sent my way I have all the baccy in the baggies. I'd like to get them out of that and into jars or something of better storage. I have to check wal-mart tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on. It seems like the ball mason jars might just have to do.
If they're several samples in small baggies, sort them by type (English, aromatics, and Virginia) and and keep them in three large containers. I keep my samples in large glass containers

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I saw that posted somewhere else here on the forum just before as someone else might've mentioned it. Or maybe you did? I don't remember who it was now. I just want the short term storage for now. I'd like to age them a little bit also. But first, I need to stop procrastinating and get myself the jars.
Eliminate the heating step from the above then. You will be fine- that is until the group of asshats send you your MAW

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If they're several samples in small baggies, sort them by type (English, aromatics, and Virginia) and and keep them in three large containers. I keep my samples in large glass containers
Yes, there's several. He nuked my mailbox. Plus I have other baccy's that I purchased on a trip to Cigars Int'l in PA which I want to jar also. I have to get a count of what I have and then take it from there.