What's new

preparing glass jars?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
If you don't like the local price/selection for canning jars, check out cooking.com
I buy all mine from there, and you can usually find a 10-15% off code with free shipping on any size order on retailmenot.com
Personally, I prefer the half-pint "wide mouth" jars. Perfect for 2oz of baccy, wider than they are tall and stack securely so there's no chance of tipping when you're rooting around the cellar. Also easier to load the pipe directly from the jar when you have the "wide mouth" style vs. the regular.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
If you don't like the local price/selection for canning jars, check out cooking.com
I buy all mine from there, and you can usually find a 10-15% off code with free shipping on any size order on retailmenot.com
Personally, I prefer the half-pint "wide mouth" jars. Perfect for 2oz of baccy, wider than they are tall and stack securely so there's no chance of tipping when you're rooting around the cellar. Also easier to load the pipe directly from the jar when you have the "wide mouth" style vs. the regular.
And I'd also recommend a wide-mouth funnel to make sure your tobacco gets in the jar. I took the one from my canning equipment last time I jarred some tobacco and it worked like a charm. Now I need to buy another one for my canning

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I got a 12 pack of mason jars today. After running to 2 different stores and God knows how much money later.....and a big shoutout to @cgraunke for guidance with all of my endevaours today!!

Threw them bad boys in the dishwasher to get rid of some nasty smell and now sitting down watching some hockey and jarring (if that's even a word) all my baccy.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Just picked up 2 four packs of the eight oz jars. Going to use them for the small bulk samples I buy. When I decide on a bigger buy I'll buy bigger jars.

Thanks for the help everyone!! Now to find a place for my soon to be "cellar" in this apartment.
Many will tell you to skip the bigger jars and just use multiple smaller ones. If you find a blend you like enough to go deep on, if you can do 4 half-pints vs. one larger container, then you're only ever opening one at a time while the other three do some aging. By the time you're done you might be opening a jar with a year on it instead of still fishing around in the same lot you've been in for the past year.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Here's some comparisons of the standard half-pints vs "wide mouth" that I mentioned earlier. (same volume, 8fl.oz.)

The "wide mouth" are great for stacking, either independently or in their flat, and give you a bit more working room when you've got fat fingers like me. (thumbs like big toes, I swear)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I don't have the cellar some of tall have, but I keep my mason jars stacked on one another, and they seem to be stable enough. Might use my old 26 qt coolidor for my baccy storage though. I'm like javelin and just stuff what I can in there without any prep other than making sure the rim is clean of any debris

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you have a wal-mart around, I scored a 12 pack for $8.47 of the 8oz mason jars. I ran around all day for jars and should've just went right to wally's world instead. I spent more time returning the other damn jars. I did see some half pint ones as well which @cgraunke was telling me about in 4 packs. I had them in my cart but put them back because they didn't seem "big enough." They got the wide mouth and would fit my fat fingers, but I chose the others which I have now. You could probably get away filling to the top with 6 or 7oz. All of them will be different though depending on the style and cuts of the baccy.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
If you have a wal-mart around, I scored a 12 pack for $8.47 of the 8oz mason jars. I ran around all day for jars and should've just went right to wally's world instead. I spent more time returning the other damn jars. I did see some half pint ones as well which @cgraunke was telling me about in 4 packs. I had them in my cart but put them back because they didn't seem "big enough." They got the wide mouth and would fit my fat fingers, but I chose the others which I have now. You could probably get away filling to the top with 6 or 7oz. All of them will be different though depending on the style and cuts of the baccy.
Most loose cut will be maxed out about 2oz tobacco per 8fl.oz (half-pint) jar.

Trust me, you didn't want those four packs you had if you needed to stack yours. Those slide all over the place.
(but they DO look cool, just not very space conscious)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ahh damn I bought em cuz they look cool. Just tried stacking and didn't work out so well. Maybe I'll return the other 4 pack. Those half pints above look nothing like what I just bought..

On another note, that's a great idea using the cooler! I have a small one (first coolidor) that I think I'll use. Light is not getting into that thing!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Most loose cut will be maxed out about 2oz tobacco per 8fl.oz (half-pint) jar.

Trust me, you didn't want those four packs you had if you needed to stack yours. Those slide all over the place.
(but they DO look cool, just not very space conscious)
Yeah, I got some 1 oz samplers from the newbie pipe trade so I kind of figured 2 oz max. Depending on the cut of the baccy it seems like some was a little more or less than others. But it's pretty much on point. I'll probably go back soon for more jars. After a special Cigars International Pipe Guild Blend that I forgot I had, I'm left with 1 jar. So, I'm set for a while with pipe baccy. Although, I already have little list ready for next purchases.

And thanks again for your help. Thank God for taptalk as I'm running around walmart and PMing back and forth. The faces of the people who saw my wagon full of glass was priceless.