What's new

Problemsolverjc's Blind Review Thread

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
C-1 review

Size- I'd say its a corona. I could be wrong though.

Color-very dark brown almost black with lighter brown spots.

Prelight smells- like barnyard and aged tobacco.

Prelight draw- sweetness and bread. Already this stick is leaving a sweetness on my lips.

Lit and toasted with cedar at 10:48am

Strength- mild
Body- medium

1st 3rd

Right off the start this is leaving my mouth really dry. The draw is perfect and producing tons of smoke. The smoke on the foot is minimal.

The draw flavors are a sweet tobacco, oakiness and leather.

Burn is razor sharp even in the wind.

The retrohail is all potpourri. Reminds me of my grandmother's house.

The finish is dry and tastes like peanuts.

Ash is grey and powdery falling off every inch or so.

2nd 3rd

The second third the Draw flavors shifted. All of a sudden it became a strong earth and leather core with only a hint of sweet tobacco. Losing the oakiness all together.

The smoke input jumped up. I felt like I was blowing clouds of smoke.

The finish picked up a saltyness. And lost most of the nutty flavor.

Final 3rd

(Sorry the pic is actually in the middle of the final 3rd my Son woke up and I forgot to take a pic sooner.)

The flavors in the final third were the same as the second all the way.

I let it die with about an inch and a quarter left as the smoke was getting too hot for me to enjoy. It was 11:50 when I let it go out.

Overall I'd give this smoke a solid 6 out of 10. It was pretty mid range on flavor and mild on strength. Nothing special but not bad. I smoked it on an empty stomach and I feel fine. It would be a good everyday stick of the price is right.

This reminded me of a La Gloria Cubana. I am probably wrong though haha.
C1 was the Arturo Fuente Privada #1 Maduro... Medium strength, 6 3/4 x 44, in a Maudro Conn wrapper...

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
D3

Eye balled: ring gauge 48; length about 5 3/4
Smooth wrapper, brown paper bag color, small veins and slight seams visible, very nice triple cap
Arrived with a boveda 69% (thoughtful), dry boxed for 48hrs.

Right out of the bag the cigar is fairly fragrant--more so on the foot--with aged tobacco, summer barnyard and foot like funk (like on certain aged cheeses) smells really good
Well packed, the squeeze test gives just a hint of give.
Snip the first cap off with the Palio very easily. Cold draw: dry tobacco reminiscent of a cold cigarette draw. Restrictive draw but not overly so.

Full stomach, 50 degrees, slight wind but I'm in the smoking shed, and a big glass of h2o
9:17am
Light indoors with a soft-flame (bic) Toasted the foot and lit right up

1/3:
Classic Cuban taste: smooth butterscotch, creamy leather. Showing great promise with a sweet fermented grass taste.
I'm reminded of the fresh Tatuaje black label CG.
1 inch of ash and the flavors are beginning to ramp up!
Honey with hints of apricot and stone peaches?
Retrohale is smooth with almost no pepper.
Ash is grey, salt and pepper, holds strong well past 1.5inches
Burn is great. Draw is a bit tight--far from plugged--but a bit restrictive

2/3:
Flavors increasing in strength.
Salty with almost a sweet red pepper taste
Smoke production has doubled out the foot when resting.
The butterscotch and cream are present, but have moved toward the succulent side (like a honeyed ham--with cloves and peach cobbler)
Smoke out of the mouth is a bit thin, not smoke ring material.
Retrohale is picking up pepper for the first time--yum yum

Final Third:
The cigar hits it's stride in the 2/3 and comes to a crescendo now
Really good flavors of heavy butterscotch, toasted cream and aged leather, with a wet grass sweetness
The flavors have really matured into a complex yet cohesive blend.
Now much more full bodied flavors remind me of a more traditional Nicaraguan cigar: Earth, fall leaves, rich dry tobacco, but the sweet butterscotch is definitely still there. Popcorn and the smell of roasting green coffee beans: grassy toasted wheat taste.
Draw has opened up nicely, zero burn issues/relights, top notch construction.

Complex for sure. This thing showed the importance of differentiating the three thirds: All from the same book, but definitely different chapters. It was fun experiencing the progression from start to finish. I'm glad I payed attention to this cigar--no distractions: botl, alcohol, or coffee--allowing me to appreciate the nuances so much more. I really like this ring gauge and it'll be interesting to try the blend in a torro and lancero to see how it changes.

Vitamin N is making its self known (I'm glad I ate before hand) but is far from intense.

This has been my most enjoyable CC--probably because I gave it the attention it deserved--(assuming it is a CC :))
A solid 8.5 out of 10. Never had a Cohiba, but that's my guess, lol
Thanks again JC for putting this together.
Pics comming via Tappatalk

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes, too much fun bro
Lol, the best cc I've ever had was HG! I do enjoy that blend with the label on. Cant wait to guess the next one wrong too!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Yes, too much fun bro
Lol, the best cc I've ever had was HG! I do enjoy that blend with the label on. Cant wait to guess the next one wrong too!
LOL... there is no shame in guessing wrong (but I will not be guessing). It really is the fun of this entire project. We all get so caught up with labels, brands, and the limited releases that it has an impact on what we think we like.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I received review sticks from Jim yesterday:

I must say, I'm a little intrigued. The box opened to a smell that reminded me of mint chocolate.
My first thought was that there was a Drew Java Mint in there, but there aren't any infused gars, right?
Regardless, I'm excited to jump in and hopefully can get one of these done this weekend!
Thanks again, Jim, for keeping this going!

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
C-2

At first glance:

Nice double cap. Solid construction. Firm. Tight seams. Visible veins.

Prelight: it smells like barnyard.
Prelight draw: no flavor on the draw. But it did leave a spiciness on my lips. Draw is perfect.

Strength: mild to medium
Body (flavor): full

Size: robusto? (I'm bad at vitola guessing)

Burn time: 1hr 20min

Cigar:
Normally I do my review in thirds but this cigar was the same from start to finish. And for me. That was a great thing.

The stick had an amazing buttery taste on the draw along with a smooth tobacco, and slight cedar. Very good. My mouth was watering. I had to force myself to smoke slowly. It was that good. The finish was a sweet oily coffee and left a hint of spice on the lips. The retrohail was very smooth with only a hint of pepper.I really hope this isn't a cuban or HTF cause I want these in my humi lol. The closest thing I have had to this is the Tatuaje La Casita but this is much better than that and was missing that signature flavor that most Tatuajes have . Maybe its an aged one? I honestly don't know. But I can't wait to find out.

Nom. Nom. Nom.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
D1
4X42 (eyeballed)
smoking time 1hr 5min
smoked with glass of water

Nice medium brown wrapper with decent tooth--double cap (pretty sure)
Cold draw is fairly open with flavors of dried tobacco with a little pepper spice.

1/3
Strong flavors right off the bat--tingly spice at back of throat--with a sweet leaf aftertaste
Pepper bomb, earthy tobacco, lingering sweetness.
10 min. in the flavors begin to meld into a creamy earth sweetness--pepper subsiding
Very impressive start.

2/3
Pepper is back in control with leather backbone with a spicy sweet leaf on the lips

3/3
Sweet earthy leather with a non cedar wood present
pepper has taken a back seat again though definitely still present on the spicy retro-hale--very interesting how it comes and goes throughout the smoke

I want to eat the smoke, it is so rich and flavorful. Maybe I'm just ready for dinner :)
Pretty smooth considering the intensity of flavors

Pete and Mr. Garcia: Another job well done
Strength: medium
Body: Full
Score: 9/10

I'll be looking for some more of this great short smoke. Thanks again PS JC
Pics coming via TapaTalk

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Very nice review Kevin!

It is the new Sam Leccia White in a Corona 4x46 ... one of the most interesting parts of this cigar is that includes seco from Pennsylvania. I have another one of these sticks that is currently getting a little age in the humidor. I'm wondering if that initial spice kick will settle down a little.

Thanks again for playing along!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Cigar B4 - from problemsolverjc
Size: 5.625"x46
Review Level: Extremely Novice!
Location: Tobacco Grove indoor smoking lounge - Maple Grove, MN
Date: 18Nov2013 17:35-19:20 (1:45 total burn time)
Pairing: Water

Appearance: medium to dark brown wrapper, somewhat iridescent, prominent veins & seams
Feel: average, not too firm, not spongy, some soft spots
Cut: house double blade guillotine, clean, no splits or unraveling

Pre-light draw: perfect draw, some resistance but didn't have to work for it, a rich, nutty (hazelnut?) , almost fruity flavor

Light: house triple torch table lighter, easy full even light

First Puffs: yield the same nutty fruity flavors, a little more earthy, not a sweet fruit but more savory like a raisin nut bread, a little dry on the tongue, not too much spice, steady smoke from the head and foot, not the amount you might find in many DE smokes, but it's there, smoke from the draw is thick and gray

First 1/3: same flavors continue, first ash dropped at 3/4", constant light smoke off the foot, sharp burn line, hard to explain but almost a taste of tequila on the finish (or some liqueur?)

Second 1/3: started to develop a little more spice, ash dropped again right at the 1/3 mark, draw considerably looser after the ash drop, still nutty but more toasted nuts, not sweet like an almond but more like maybe coffee bean or the toasted hazelnut that was seen on the pre-light, definitely more nutty and the spice dropped off completely and was only there heavily around the 1/3 mark, maybe a little vanilla, much less smoke being produced, a slow burn spot developed but I decided to wait it out and see if it corrected itself, started to go out and completely died right about the 1/2 way point, cleared out all the ash, the relight took care of the uneven burn spot as well, noticeable loss of complexity after this

Final 1/3: back to the thick heavy smoke output, fairly white somewhat flaky outer ash, gray/black inside ash, cigar has become nondescript to me, ash is still holding from relight, starts to pick up a little more nut and some spice but very mild spice, nowhere near the flavor of the first 1/3 but still similar, smoke has become very thick like smoke ring thick, just not there on the flavor

Conclusion: In the end, I may have started trying too hard, maybe smoking too hot, or maybe I'd just burnt out my taste buds. I enjoyed the first third, struggled with the second and just got bored with the third. Take that as you will, remember I'm quite green and never smoked anything (not even cigarettes) six months ago.

Score: 7.5/10 (perhaps 8.5-9 on the first half, and would likely try one again to compare)

Last edited: