What's new

Products Tax/Consumer Use notice...

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I wouldn't doubt Ohio is more active as they probably get a cut of the taxes from the states they provide the info to. It's a way for them to recoup lost taxes...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yeah I know this has happened to other BOTLs before from Dan, can't remember what state they lived in though. But businesses are supposed to collect taxes and in Ohio, if they are not collecting taxes on sales they have to show proof of where those sales went as to why they are being exempt from the sales tax. Dan is just following protocol and the laws in that state. So as much as it sucks, I don't see why any blame should be put on him. Do you really expect him to hide it and do something illegal?

Kind of same situation here in WA when the Tatuaje SODO's were released. The B&M couldn't legally ship the cigars out of state so I helped out. There is paperwork and audit trails if the state really wants to dig in so he didn't want to do anything illegal.

Sorry you got dinged by CO brother... that really does suck.
Here is my expanded take on the matter. If I were one of 100 online widget websites, and for some reason only MY customers were getting taxed/audited on the widgets I sold out of state, you could bet I would be doing whatever I could to avoid losing future customers and potential lost income because I'm obviously operating at somewhat disadvantage.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Can someone please give specific examples of what Dan should be doing, instead of what he's doing now? I really would like to know what people think he's doing wrong. Yes it sucks that people are getting taxed on their out of state orders, but no one has yet to say what he should be doing instead.

veeref... I really am not taking Dan's side here over yours as I would be pissed if I were in your shoes too. He should let it be known to his customers that he does in fact report all sales and that this is a possibility. But that doesn't help you now.

But how do you know he's the only company doing this? And I would be shocked to know you are the first person living in Colorado that has ordered from him. I don't know of anyone else in Colorado that had this happen to them and I bet there's a fair share of people living in Colorado that are on the forums, so you would think we would've heard about it. I think a dude named benday here on BOTL lives in CO, used Dan and never said anything.

I think most businesses follow the law for the most part and it is just dumb luck that the state enforces these tax laws and actually goes after people and that you got caught this time...

Palmettoguy

42-28'48'' N
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Its also interesting to note the taxable value reported to OH/CO by the retailer was half of the purchase price (just saying).

Here's what I would pay if I missed a payment on a $125 bundle of Drew Estate Ba1t F1sh for example.

$50/tax
$250/penalty
$300 on top of the $125 I paid for the cigars. $425 for a bundle of Ba1t F1sh. No thank you.
Reading this thread made me dig into my states tobacco use tax laws.
The tax rate on tobacco products is 5% of the manufacturer’s price. The manufacturer’s price is the established price at which the manufacturer sells to a wholesaler.
Here's what I would pay if I missed 12 months of payment on that same $125 bundle:
$3.13/tax
$1.88/penalty (5% of tax owed per month x 12 months)
$5.01 Total due to the tax man....

I can't believe how jacked up your state is...Taxes I can understand, but that 500% fine is insane.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Can someone please give specific examples of what Dan should be doing, instead of what he's doing now? I really would like to know what people think he's doing wrong. Yes it sucks that people are getting taxed on their out of state orders, but no one has yet to say what he should be doing instead.
If he wants to comply with the law of the state he's doing business in, then I don't see that he can do anything different. If I were in his shoes I'd do what was in my best interest as a business owner. While I don't think he's responsible for how the state of Ohio uses that information, I do think he owes it to his out of state customers to let them know that this has happened. And while it may not happen to them, it'll be up to the buyer to decide if they wish to purchase or not. At least they won't be surprised by an exaggerated penalty. I personally would think twice about ordering...at least until I can figure out my state's tobacco tax laws.

Dan

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
He could move out of a state that doesn't observe a reasonable expectation of privacy on consumer purchasing habits. ;) Like others mentioned, I don't need Ohio releasing to Colorado what cigars I'm buying and how much. As an aside, I did propose some 'outside the box' thinking to help avoid the penalty. It involved me providing to the state of CO a return receipt showing me not owning the cigars anymore and I could actually even return the cigars since the box is still sealed. That idea wasn't received very warmly.

veeref... I really am not taking Dan's side here over yours as I would be pissed if I were in your shoes too. He should let it be known to his customers that he does in fact report all sales and that this is a possibility. But that doesn't help you now.
In his fairness, he does have a blanket CYA page under his shipping tab.

But how do you know he's the only company doing this? And I would be shocked to know you are the first person living in Colorado that has ordered from him. I don't know of anyone else in Colorado that had this happen to them and I bet there's a fair share of people living in Colorado that are on the forums, so you would think we would've heard about it. I think a dude named benday here on BOTL lives in CO, used Dan and never said anything.
I'm know I'm not the first person ordering from him in CO. This isn't even my first time ordering from him. It is, however, the first time in the 5 years I've ordered stuff online from maybe 6 or 7 different states that this has happened. I also happen to order stuff online at least half a dozen times during the year. I do also go to several B&Ms in my area and have talked to many guys about ordering stuff online. None of them has ever mentioned a tax penalty. A small sampling, yes, but I think still somewhat valid.

Because of my experience, I still stand behind my decision to cease purchasing stuff from him. The idea of my state knowing my online purchasing habits and having to voluntarily give them money within 30 days of receiving cigars doesn't agree with my sensibilities.

I think most businesses follow the law for the most part and it is just dumb luck that the state enforces these tax laws and actually goes after people and that you got caught this time...
I agree with you in respect to the dumb luck in my invoice getting pulled.

Let me add this since I didn't mention what I purchased and my previous mention of it was purposefully subtle. The box of Monsters I purchased was $130. The taxable amount on the letter I posted says $65, which is half of what I paid. Why is that? To help me out tax wise? How would I have known to only pay tax on half of what I bought?

I'm going to start calling all the online vendors I've used and start asking them what sort of information they may or may not voluntarily give out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I agree with you here bro..I'm surprised that hasnt happened yet considering this is the most liberal state in the union and they tax us to death on everything here!!!
C'mon man...the Mass libs are amateurs compared to my homies out here in the Golden State. Two words...Nancy Pelosi. Top that!:facerub:

California would collect a tax like this if they could afford to. Problem is, they don't have enough money to hire people to write the collection letters and lick the stamps.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Let me add this since I didn't mention what I purchased and my previous mention of it was purposefully subtle. The box of Monsters I purchased was $130. The taxable amount on the letter I posted says $65, which is half of what I paid. Why is that? To help me out tax wise? How would I have known to only pay tax on half of what I bought?
I think it may have to do with the tax law. They're only taxed on the price paid to the manufacturer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I read the MO tobacco tax and maybe it's different for OH or CO or whatever state.

Dan

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Was just asked by my tax person if I made any internet purchases last year that needs to be reported to the Wisconsin Dept of Revenue. According to her, Wisconsin is getting more diligent at collected taxes from online vendors. Next we will have to sign a affidavit that states you've revealed all internet purchases on your tax form! :grinFU:

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
A few thoughts....

This is insane. 500%? Sorry, that is just nuts.

Anyone from Cali look into this? I can't seem to find what Cali residents need to pay. And what's the penalty if they don't.

Dan seems like a good guy and I don't think anyone should expect him to lie to the government about business stuff. I do think however it should be clearly stated on his site, if it is already its not clear or I'm blind having missed it many times.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So is there any cigar friendly states we should purchase from that won't rat us out to our home state! Florida, Pennsylvania?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So is there any cigar friendly states we should purchase from that won't rat us out to our home state! Florida, Pennsylvania?
Those are probably your best bet, since they don't have any cigar taxes. But, it's really a chance you take no matter where you order from, unless it's over seas. Definitely won't be buying from OH again though.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
On a side note, has anybody tried purchasing cigars with one of those name brand credit cards that you can buy at the grocery store, then put money on, like a gift card? It occurred to me, that you could use one of those and a different name, perhaps?