What's new

Pulled over while carrying?

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
OK...I've been pulled over by police twice while I was carrying and got 2 VERY different reactions from the officer so I wanted to know if anyone else has had any wierd moments with the cops due to carrying a weapon.

1st instance - On my motorcycle...I see the lights and pull over. I wait for the officer to come up and ask me for my info...I hand him my license, registration, and insurance, as well as my CCW permit. He sees my permit and asks if I am carrying. I say yes. As soon as I said that he takes a step back with his hand on his weapon and asks me where it is. I tell him and has me get off the bike...hands on my head...step backwards towards him...the whole nine, like I'm a criminal. He disarms me and unloads the weapon and places it on the hood of his car. Blah, blah, blah...he tells me to slow down and hands me my gun and says, Don't load it until I'm gone...

2nd instance - In my car...I see the lights and pull over. I wait for the officer to come up and ask me for my info...I hand him my license, registration, and insurance, as well as my CCW permit. He sees my permit and asks if I am carrying. I say yes. He asks where it is and I tell him...He says ok. I ask him if he would like to take it for the duration of the stop (remembering the first stop)...he says Nope, just please keep your hands in view. Blah, blah, blah...he tells me to slow down (notice a trend here...lol) and he leaves.

I just thought the drastic difference in reations was strange...1st officer was VERY on edge and treated me like a criminal, while the 2nd officer was very calm and polite. I dont understand why the 1st guy was so touchy...I mean I gave him my CCW permit right off the bat to let him know...it's not as if I was hiding the fact that I was carrying.

So...anyone else have any fun stories?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I can understand a cop getting nervous and asking to take the gun during the stop, but not having you back up with your hands on your head like you explain... I would be a little pissed.

But can you blame the guy or any other cop for being nervous? Lots of examples of cops being killed now days... 4 cops were shot and killed in a coffee shop last year close enough to where me and Hot_Sauce (Kirk) live. The guy was in and out of prison for a few things and just wanted to get even by killing some cops.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have had 2 LEO encounters.

The 1st time, some idiot hit me on the highway. The 2nd time I was in a car where the driver hit a deer.

I immediately notified both times that I had a CHL license and was armed. Both times they didn't even ask to see my license. They said they don't have to worry about people like me. They said they worry more about people who don't notify.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven't had any police interactions while carrying thankfully.
But I have read about many police encounters over on the PAFOA forums, especially in the open carry section.
The reaction from police varies from, yeah ok you have a gun no big deal.
To 7 cruisers suddenly surrounding a guy walking his dog and drawing down on him with no provocation, just because he has a gun harmlessly holstered on his hip.

I am sure if open carry were allowed in NY (fat fookin chance) I would have be having alot more conversations with the police.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would always notify and while I might get annoyed if they overreacted as the first cop did to some extent, I'm willing to let out a lot of leash on the issue as I can fully understand them being nervous. They put their lives out there every time they go out on the street. I can be pretty patient (for a completely impatient guy) on those issues.

That being said, anyone handing over a CCW permit and announcing is probably the absolute least of their worries.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
In Ohio when they run your plate (which they do before coming to talk to you) their screen flashes red, stating you're a CCW holder.

If you're carrying you have to tell them by law. If you're not you don't have to say anything, but knowing that they know you MAY be it's better to tell them if you are or not up front. Remove any doubt and put them at ease if you can.

I've been stopped twice while not carrying and both times it went like this: "Officer, before we go any further I just thought I should mention I am a CCW holder although I have no weapon on me or in my vehicle today"...they were both very appreciative and let me off w/ warnings. (SLOW DOWN) :)

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Ive been pulled twice also. First, being from the Detroit area, I always put both of my hands outside of the window as thy approach. I do this as a courtesy and to allow less concern to the officer. The first time I immediately acknowledged my weapon. I received a thank you and the question of its location. Nothing after that but a speeding ticket. Officer had no concern that I was a threat.

Second time I did not have my weapon and I did not acknowledged anything about it (ran a no turn on red sign). When the officer returned to my vehicle he held back and asked if I had my side arm with me. I answered with a respectable no sir. He said have a nice day and be careful nex time
No ticket.

So, so far so good.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I have had a total of three so far.

1st time: Was walking through Wal-mart concealed with a jacket and a shirt. I paid and headed for the door. Had an employee stop me at the door and informed me that a police officer was on the way but he could not hold me. So if I wanted to leave I could. He didn't say why I needed to stay. As I was getting ready to leave thinking he was crazy the cop pulls up in front of the door. Steps out and ask how I was doing (small talk so on). He asks for my ID and I hand him my DL, Military, and Carry. Looks it over and says have a nice day.

2nd time. Driving got pulled over for speeding. Same thing DL, Military, and Carry. Ask If I have a weapon on me. I say yes. He tells me to slow down and have a good day.

3rd time. Was on the motorcycle and had a random ID check. DL, Military, and Carry. Made me get off the bike with hands on my head and walk to him. Removed the weapon finished the search. Said sorry for the whole mess, it was their protocol and said have a good day. I locked and loaded in front of him. Holstered and rode off.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
My opinion is:
Stop #1 = Good Officer safety practiced by that officer.:thumbsup:
The Officer should explain exactly what he is doing and why he is doing this

Stop #2 = Poor Officer safety practiced by that officer.:wtf:

My questions are:
Were the stops warranted, were you speeding?
Was it the same agency on both stops?
Did the Officer on the first stop seem younger than the second?
Were there multiple Officers (backup) at the stops?

My suggestions are:
If you are the subject of a traffic stop and you are armed:
Do not make any furtive movements to get paperwork etc.
Place both hands where the approaching Officer can see them, advise the Officer of a weapon in the vehicle/on your person and location of it.
Wait and obey the Officers commands.

All Officers are taught Officer safety in the academy however as years go on techniques taught will vary as better methods are developed.
Seasoned officers sometimes tend to get lax on there Officer safety which sometimes turn out to be fatal errors.

Today I heard on the radio that the number of Officers killed on duty is on the rise. You must understand the hazards of a traffic stop to realize the Officer was not treating you like a criminal, only practicing good safety techniques until the unknowns are known.

Lastly be thankful you were not cited cause it costs $$$ especially when your insurance company increases your rates.:yes:

Last edited:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i can understand any officer being careful. but as has been stated, it is not the ccw owner that is a threat to the officer. and i feel reasonably sure that exactly 0 of the cases where leo's were shot were perpetrated by legal carriers?????

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I've often heard that if you are a CCW holder, the cops usually view that with much more respect.

The only time I've been pulled over, was after a gig one night. Apparently, I made an illegal turn on red. He stopped me, asked for my weapon, and then gave me a field sobriety test :grin:

When that was done, he gave my weapon back, and told me to be safe going home.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
My opinion is:
Stop #1 = Good Officer safety practiced by that officer.:thumbsup:
Stop #2 = Poor Officer safety practiced by that officer.:wtf:
You are entiled to your opinion and please no offense meant....

But a Law abiding citizen with a CCW who notifies the officer a weapon is present is no threat.

By your same logic, everytime a cop comes to your house they should ask to see all your guns and disarm you.

While I have a personal issue with being disarmed, I can understand an dappreciate the officers need to disarm in Stop #1. I completely disagree with the method.

In stop # 2, having him keep hands in plain sight is practical.

Remember, in most states, you do not even have to notify or tell the officer if you are armed.

Hell, with all the people dressing up as cops and stopping people, maybe I should have them disarm as well until thier identity is verified....

The whole thing is just paranoia. If one wanted to they could do more harm with a screwdriver while the cop was leaning in to ask "Do you know why I stopped you".......

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The first cop was a rookie or used to a very urban/high-incidence area. Most MPLS cops would probably do what cop #1 did ... those guys have rough jobs, lol.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
You are entiled to your opinion and please no offense meant....

But a Law abiding citizen with a CCW who notifies the officer a weapon is present is no threat.

By your same logic, everytime a cop comes to your house they should ask to see all your guns and disarm you.

While I have a personal issue with being disarmed, I can understand an dappreciate the officers need to disarm in Stop #1. I completely disagree with the method.

In stop # 2, having him keep hands in plain sight is practical.

Remember, in most states, you do not even have to notify or tell the officer if you are armed.

Hell, with all the people dressing up as cops and stopping people, maybe I should have them disarm as well until thier identity is verified....

The whole thing is just paranoia. If one wanted to they could do more harm with a screwdriver while the cop was leaning in to ask "Do you know why I stopped you".......
That (in red above) is a HUGE assumption, especially when a life is possibly at stake.

Just because a guy has a permit does not mean that...
He is not agitated
He is not drunk or high
He has no priors
...and the list goes on.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
That (in red above) is a HUGE assumption, especially when a life is possibly at stake.

He is not agitated
He is not drunk or high
He has no priors
...and the list goes on.

History has proven otherwise. There has not been one instance of a lawful CCW holder (I think there were a few who had the permit revoked) pulling a gun on law enforcement. There are many other things to worry about....and an armed CCW holder is not one of them...

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
slave and gokian, i can tell you exactly what the differences were: both times they over-reacted, you were on your motorcycle. they sterotype us for sure.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
History has proven otherwise. There has not been one instance of a lawful CCW holder (I think there were a few who had the permit revoked) pulling a gun on law enforcement. There are many other things to worry about....and an armed CCW holder is not one of them...
Again, if I were an officer pulling someone over, knowing that they had a gun, but not knowing anything else about that person or their frame of mind; I'd rather play it safe than sorry despite those statistics!

Just my 2 cents :)

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Again, if I were an officer pulling someone over, knowing that they had a gun, but not knowing anything else about that person or their frame of mind; I'd rather play it safe than sorry despite those statistics!

Just my 2 cents :)
I agree 100%, I have no issue with them placing my gun outside the car. There is too much crap around for them not to be overly cautious.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0

He is not agitated
He is not drunk or high
He has no priors
...and the list goes on.

I would question the bolded part, depending on what you are talking about. "Priors" would most likely remove the possibility of having said permit, no?