What's new

Purging

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
In all my years of smoking cigars I've never purged, however I've never let a cigar go out either. I'm very particular in making sure I have time to smoke a cigar.

BOTL

4 LIFE
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only purge if it goes out. If it gets hot, I simply stop huffing on it so much and let it cool.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It depends on the cigar, but when I just start getting a lot of stale flavors or that "ashtray" kind of taste, usually a quick purge takes care of it.

turtle

Kimbers Rock
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only purge if my mask gets fogged and I have to flood it to clear it up.:stretchgr

Seriously, though I never even thought about trying it if a cigar goes south. Thanks for the tips.

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
jcgoldner said:
If I get two bad puffs, I'm purging. You'd be surprised how quickly that works.
I'm with you. I purge a lot after the 1/2 way mark.

Don't know if lighting it really makes a difference, but it sure looks cool.

DWSC_Bob

Bearded Wonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
derek said:
I only purge if I feel the cigar is burning to hot
Since all you are doing is blowing more oxygen across the burn, it is doubtful this would in any way help with a cigar burning too hot. Only solution for too hot is letit rest.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
As the cigar burns, some of the oils build up ahead of the "cherry". On cigars with a higher moisture content (whether due to ligero leaf or high rh) you tend to get an off flavor at times. I will purge with a lighter at the foot until it can burn on its own and continue purging until the flame goes out. Sometimes this can take up to about 20 second (especially if I'm relighting). Once the purging is finished my sticks will taste better and will generally burn better. I find that this works for heavier smokes that I'm smoking too slowly on or relighting sticks that have gone out.

But then, that me. YRMV....

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I'll be damned! I have always purged when leaving a cigar for a while and I know I am coming back to it. I have never heard of trying it at the half way point to clear oils and tar. I will give it a try. You learn something every day!
Thanks.