What's new

Purging

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
The large flame will only occur if you have a lot of oils built up. Generally this is the result of letting a cigar go out without blowing through it to get the excess smoke out. If I know I'm going to set one down and let it go out, I blow gently through it to purge the smoke so that it won't get stale in the cigar. But if it goes out from absentmindedness or distractions this is a good way to restart a stick.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purge pretty frequently, depending on the flavor of the cigar. These days, I always use a lighter when purging --- it works much better than just blowing, and people are fascinated by the flame-thrower effect.:riflefire

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
As the cigar burns, some of the oils build up ahead of the "cherry". On cigars with a higher moisture content (whether due to ligero leaf or high rh) you tend to get an off flavor at times. I will purge with a lighter at the foot until it can burn on its own and continue purging until the flame goes out. Sometimes this can take up to about 20 second (especially if I'm relighting). Once the purging is finished my sticks will taste better and will generally burn better. I find that this works for heavier smokes that I'm smoking too slowly on or relighting sticks that have gone out.

But then, that me. YRMV....
This sounds like some good info.

and BUMP.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The only time I have been known to purge is when I'm not getting a good draw and I want to lossen up the leaves.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I used to only purge when I had taste or heat issues now I find myself purging, without a lighter, at the final third mostly out of habit now. It just seems to freshen up the cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically puring is blowing through the cigar. you can do with or without a flame. Generally this should be done for how long? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc....?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
So basically puring is blowing through the cigar. you can do with or without a flame. Generally this should be done for how long? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc....?
Take a breath and however much you've inhaled blow back through. Be careful of any embers that may spark out and most important KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE FOOT!! The hot gas coming out can burn the shit out of you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider is that purging while smoking a premium cigar, tends to negate (to a degree) the buildup of flavors wrought by the accumulation of oil and tars that were designed to enhance the smoking experience. You can test this yourself. Smell the aromas from off the shoulder and cut. Purge the cigar. Before taking another draw, smell the shoulder and cut again. You might find that the cigar has been "reset" to near zero aromas again, or certainly the aromas have changed. While this may be good for a cigar that is maybe starting to go south, it can ruin the inherent build up and finish designed into a very fine cigar.

I like what a couple brothers said in this thread. If things are starting to taste bad from a cigar that started out pretty good, perhaps that is an indication the draws are being spaced too closely together and there is a heat issue inside. Before you try purging, try resting the cigar 45, 60 or 90 seconds between puffs and see if characteristics can be reconstituted in that fashion.

I do purge if, after my cigar has burned out, I know I will be relighting it later. As was stated, to remove any smoke from inside that might grow stale and contaminate the filler during the down time.