What's new

Purging...

how many times do you purge your cigar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
was wondering how many of you purge your cigars. and for what reason. on average i purge about 3 times per stick. i tend to purge more with full flavored and full strength cigars. definitely when i start tasting ammonia.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I usually purge one small puff prior to each good draw. I think it helps allow the most clean taste of the cigar. I'm not sure when or why I started doing this, but I've done it for quite a while now.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It just depends on what's happening with the cigar. Anytime the ash falls off, or the cigar is "disturbed" in some way, I tend to blow back through it. If I have to relight, I will purge after getting it going, again. And also, anytime it turns a little bitter, and I don't think it's at the point it should be telling me it's done, I will give a little blow back through the stick.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on what's happening with the cigar. Anytime the ash falls off, or the cigar is "disturbed" in some way, I tend to blow back through it. If I have to relight, I will purge after getting it going, again. And also, anytime it turns a little bitter, and I don't think it's at the point it should be telling me it's done, I will give a little blow back through the stick.
Ditto

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Depends. More often than not, I don't purge at all. If it's my first time smoking a particular cigar, I try hard not to purge at all.

But if I'm smoking something that get's at all bitter or "muddy," then I'll purge. Sometimes I'll purge a stick near the end if it's getting too strong--sometimes the earlier flavors come back, sometimes not.

I often find that if I have to purge a cigar once, I usually have to end up doing it twice. It doesn't really bother me, though, like I know it does some people.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I tend to purge before every good draw. I think I started doing this just to make sure the cigars was lit when I drew on it after sitting for a bit, then it kind of became a habit. Not sure it really makes a difference for me as far as flavor, I just do it because :dunno:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Every time I ash it, and any time it's gone out. Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but it seems like it can't hurt.

-Charles

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I purge prior to any re-light and when it becomes hot or bitter. I sometimes purge a lighter puff just to get a fresh plume of foot smoke. In any case I average about 3 per stick.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
I usually purge one small puff every 3-5 draws, more as it gets shorter. I think it helps allow the most clean taste of the cigar. I'm not sure when or why I started doing this, but I've done it for quite a while now.
Heavy purge if I have to re-light, or it begins to tunnel, etc.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
x2... it really depends on how it's smoking... it's def. not a ritual for me...

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I do a brief purge after toasting... to get any trace of butane off the foot. I almost never puff anymore when lighting so this also gets the stick going for me.

then near the last third only if necessary... usually if a stick is sufficiently aged i really don't need to.

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what he said.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
You know, I didn't even know there was a term for this. I just do it from time to time on my smoke and just a little. Somehow I just started to do it awhile back and not for any particular reason. Thanks for posting...I learned something new!!:cbig:

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
i like to purge everytime the ash falls off or is starts tasting bitter. just a habbit i picked up when i started smoking and it's stuck with me.
Same. And when I purge I usually Blow it into a lit flame and burn off everything.