Purging...

how many times do you purge your cigar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It just depends on what's happening with the cigar. Anytime the ash falls off, or the cigar is "disturbed" in some way, I tend to blow back through it. If I have to relight, I will purge after getting it going, again. And also, anytime it turns a little bitter, and I don't think it's at the point it should be telling me it's done, I will give a little blow back through the stick.
Pretty much answers for me as well. You guys that have it down to a specific number are thinking too much!!! :smokingbo

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I try to do it as little as possible due to the fact that it adds moisture to the cigar. It does help to freshen up the flavors if it is getting bitter or acrid. Usually once or twice, sometimes not at all and sometimes several.

Rhenford

Cigar Neophyte
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never thought about this before.
After reading all the responses I'll give this a try and see how it goes for me.
I think Treefrog Frank has a good guideline to follow on this post.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I usually purge one small puff prior to each good draw. I think it helps allow the most clean taste of the cigar. I'm not sure when or why I started doing this, but I've done it for quite a while now.
I do the same thing, and agree that it helps.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Like many others, I will purge if I detect some bitterness. If I'm smoking a bad cigar (happens occasionally) I will purge frequently just in case it happens to help. It can't hurt, right? :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What's the point of this poll? Frequency depends entirely on the particular cigar.
The results of the poll and the replies in the thread would beg to differ with that opinion. Looks like it is a matter of each smoker's habits and preferences, coupled with the particular cigar, as would be expected. :)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
What's the point of this poll? Frequency depends entirely on the particular cigar.
the poll options weren't really to find out discrete number of times people purge. that's my mistake. it was really more to find out peoples habits and opinions.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I will typically purge after the first ash falls off and at the 1/2 way point. If the cigar for some reason goes out, I'll purge before / during the relight as well.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I try to do it as little as possible due to the fact that it adds moisture to the cigar. It does help to freshen up the flavors if it is getting bitter or acrid. Usually once or twice, sometimes not at all and sometimes several.
Never paid attention before, but not that you mention it, I do have to relight more often after purging, so it apparently does put some moisture in.