What's new

Put It On Cnn Now!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
They flew around long enough so that there wasn't much gas in the tank to avoid a larger explosion. I think they learned this from a few other times planes have burst into flames right after landing. Especially with all the sparks coming off the broken landing gear, pretty impressive landing. Also heard the passengers got a free night in the hotel, which is the least they could do!

c10bonanza

Officially Clueless
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joshua said:
They flew around long enough so that there wasn't much gas in the tank to avoid a larger explosion. I think they learned this from a few other times planes have burst into flames right after landing. Especially with all the sparks coming off the broken landing gear, pretty impressive landing. Also heard the passengers got a free night in the hotel, which is the least they could do!

Correct. As I understood it, they flew in circle patterns to burn the extra fuel off to make the plane lighter, and more importantly reduce the fire threat. Apparently this model Airbus doesn't have the capacity to manually dump fuel, as some analysts predicted it would do over the Pacific.

I hope they got some free room service out of the deal. Or at least, a shirt saying "I survived the JetBlue emergency landing, and all I got was this T-shirt."

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I just feel sorry for them people because they were heading to JFK and still had to get there after the emergency landing. I bet some took a bus!