What's new

Q: What is Ultra-Premium Price Point Level?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Side note, am I the only guy worried here? I mean, first we get a $6 short-filler, immediately followed by an across the board LP price hike, and now Steve is flat-out asking how much we'll pay?? Hide yer wallets, LP lovers! :grin:
I was waiting for that... :>

Just remember I studied under the genius himself, Lew Rothman, for 4 years and I already know exactly what people will pay. And LP price increases are done for the year and hopefully next year's cost increases will not be as dramatic, so everyone is safe. Oddly enough, because of how we price these products it really is very simple math - we try to achieve a set gross margin whether it be on Kuba Kuba or Liga Privada - so if there is no inflation, there is no price increase.

I find it very interesting though reading the comments and perceptions of others.

On a personal note, I know I hold expensive cigars to a much, much higher standard than I hold say the typical $7 robusto.

Price is a very peculiar thing, it has a dramatic impact on perception, sell through levels, position, etc. etc. - there are viable arguments to be made on both sides of the fence and both have merits imo.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

BR,

STS

ps: I typed a long dissertation on premium cigar pricing levels and my own insights, but then deleted all of it realizing it really wasn't fair to DE and or partners to openly share my insights on such a business related topic. I do get paid for a reason and Lord knows it ain't my good looks. I promise the next question I pose I will ensure I can add a reply.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Price is a very peculiar thing, it has a dramatic impact on perception
one of the very first things that my Marketing professor said in my MBA program...

I have found it to be a very true statement..

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I won't pay more than $12-$15 (and that is rare) for any cigar no matter the hype. There are just too many great smokes out there that are under $10 that i love. I can't believe that an extra $5, 10, 20 in price is going to make me say wow this is so much better than my favorite everyday $7-8 smoke.

It is my opinion that the people who spend crazy money for a "premium" smoke are the same types that leave the bands on so everyone knows that they are smoking an uber premium / expensive cigar - again, my opinion only.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I won't pay more than $12-$15 (and that is rare) for any cigar no matter the hype. There are just too many great smokes out there that are under $10 that i love. I can't believe that an extra $5, 10, 20 in price is going to make me say wow this is so much better than my favorite everyday $7-8 smoke.

It is my opinion that the people who spend crazy money for a "premium" smoke are the same types that leave the bands on so everyone knows that they are smoking an uber premium / expensive cigar - again, my opinion only.
I don't know, I know a guy who used to smoke Padron 80th's every Saturday morning and he would show up early to the shop when no one was there and didn't really talk to many people. Don't think he is trying to impress anyone, just smokes what he likes.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I think once you go over $10 per cigar you are inching into the premium category.

Anthing over $15 per is ultra premium.

Anything over $20 I think is just Plaid.
So under $10 is not a premium smoke? a 4 dollar cigar cant be premium quality?

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0

I don't know, I know a guy who used to smoke Padron 80th's every Saturday morning and he would show up early to the shop when no one was there and didn't really talk to many people. Don't think he is trying to impress anyone, just smokes what he likes.
Cmac, I know a group of guys that are the same way... they smoke Padron on a daily bases (1964, 1926 and family reserve) and I dont think they are trying to impress anyone as it's always the same group...

Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Just a curve ball on this. I live on Long Island so when I go to the local smoke shop and buy lets say CAO MX2 Toro I am going to spend about $14.00 is that consider a premium cigar
don't buy from B&M's on LI because taxes are 75%
If we do that we play right into the Politics hands, and your local B&M closes. You just have to support your local B&M.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
hey, can you blame our dude for coming to his people and asking for their feedback? will there be people who buy just for he LP badge? yes, same as tat and padron and fuente. and apple, bmw, and so many others. yet tey DO put out product that people like. if he IS poling the waters, let's see what they have to offer before we throw an fit.

and also, smoke what you like, at the price points you are comfortable with.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think once you go over $10 per cigar you are inching into the premium category.

Anthing over $15 per is ultra premium.

Anything over $20 I think is just Plaid.
So under $10 is not a premium smoke? a 4 dollar cigar cant be premium quality?
Sure it could, but I think this is about what we are willing to pay for a premium smoke as well as what we're expecting from paying a certain price. Most people don't expect a 4 dollar cigar to knock their sox off.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0

A few thoughts.

With cigars, as with many other things, we often judge them on the impact they deliver versus one's baseline reference point. For example, one might say that a $20 cigar is rarely twice as good as a their usual $10 cigar or four times as good as a $5 cigar. The differences are usually pretty subtle and its up to the smoker to decide if its worth the extra cost.

In my opinion people spend big money for various reasons. Some do like to show off. Others can afford it and don't consider the price. Some smoke what they perceive as being good. For myself I don't mind spending some dough on occasion just for the experience.

Last edited:

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You may be very right but in my very limited experience - I met one guy at the cigar shop that was telling me how he was going to buy a used BMW convertible but the place wouldn't come down on the price. Then he continued to tell me how he could pay cash for a brand new one but felt that was a lot of money for a seasonal "toy" because he had his Mercedes to drive every day. Then he asked me if I liked the Opus X Lost City because that is what he was smoking and had just bought a box.

I never know what the other "normal" guys in the shop are smoking unless i ask. So, maybe it was just an isolated incident. But that BMW / Mercedes / Opus X Lost City guy was a major tool bag.

So, i guess in the end, smoke what you like and like what you smoke - but my price point is still $10 and 12-15 on rare occasion. I can afford to pay more using cash if i wanted to but that's a lot of money for a cigar :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You may be very right but in my very limited experience - I met one guy at the cigar shop that was telling me how he was going to buy a used BMW convertible but the place wouldn't come down on the price. Then he continued to tell me how he could pay cash for a brand new one but felt that was a lot of money for a seasonal "toy" because he had his Mercedes to drive every day. Then he asked me if I liked the Opus X Lost City because that is what he was smoking and had just bought a box.

I never know what the other "normal" guys in the shop are smoking unless i ask. So, maybe it was just an isolated incident. But that BMW / Mercedes / Opus X Lost City guy was a major tool bag.

So, i guess in the end, smoke what you like and like what you smoke - but my price point is still $10 and 12-15 on rare occasion. I can afford to pay more using cash if i wanted to but that's a lot of money for a cigar :smokingbo
That's one guy in one shop. I've travelled to quite a few shops across the country and I can honestly say that the majority of the strangers I've struck up a conversation with have been extremely pleasant to chat with and could have cared less what each other was smoking.

We all have our likes and what we can afford. The longer I've enjoyed this hobby, the more I've discovered its less about the cigar and more about the brotherhood.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I always thought those people were just the folks who made more money than I :)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow.....this thread. Makes me think. JD and the boys has found a blend that they consider to be on par. With the Elite !!

As long as it is not infused with congac, sold in a neon glowing or camel bone humidor, not dedicated to any one special...except me of course...
And taste half as good as my beloved T-52....

Retail $20 per stick. Is decent.....$28. If I can get it in Salomone size...$30. If it's a PIG !,,,

All I can say Mr. Saka. Is. Please.....BRING IT !!!!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just a curve ball on this. I live on Long Island so when I go to the local smoke shop and buy lets say CAO MX2 Toro I am going to spend about $14.00 is that consider a premium cigar
don't buy from B&M's on LI because taxes are 75%
Understandable...but sometimes. When I am in a B&M I'm not comfortable smoking my own... I feel obligated to pick something up.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Free market research, and everyone jumped on it.

I leave my bands on regardless of whether I'm smoking a PCR, Behike, Padron, JdN, Cohiba, WOAM, Bolivar, Liga, Tatuaje, Monte, Hoyo, LGC, Punch or Partagas. I enjoy looking at the art on the band as I'm smoking it. What's wrong with that? Everyone has their own reason for removing or leaving bands. Why should you give a crap? Some can afford to smoke premium ($30+) cigars all day, every day. What difference does it make to you what their reason is for leaving the band on? Is it resentment? Jealousy? Man up! If I'm paying $30 for a cigar (which is pretty easy to do with the local taxes), then I'm going to keep that band on, not because I want to flash it around, but because I paid for the damn thing and I'm going to enjoy it, DAMN IT!! But, what if I DID leave it on to flash around? So fucking what? Do you care about other people's intentions even when they don't effect you?
Keep smoking what YOU like to smoke, but if you never venture out and even try an uber premium cigar, you're selling yourself short. Get out there and experience what the damn hype is about instead of asking how much better it could be from your $8 daily smoke. Maybe it IS $20 better than a $10 stick, but I guess you will never know.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have to agree with Hasan. Didn't know keeping the band on was bad form. I use it as gauge and to keep from ruining the wrapper with my dirty mitts. There are some outstanding bands that are great to look at and that's all part of it.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, super premium for me starts at the $20 price point. Don Cervantes, Diamond Crown Maximus, the higher end Padrons, but then again I enjoy them as a treat for when I really deserve to spend money on myself. Actually, sometimes I smoke them out of self pity cause if my day sucks, hey, at least I can afford a nice cigar and that usually picks me up.