What's new

Question about the AF Hemingway

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It is funny how everybody's tastes are different, and truth be told, you need to find what tastes best to you alone.
Hemingways are not what they were in the 1980s and 1990s, they do not quite have the same complexity as they did. They are still very good, but they used to be incredibly outstanding. They did not have maduro, Rosado, or Sun Grown

That being said, I do not like the maduros in the line. My favorite today is the Short Story, and the Best Seller is also. However, the Signature in Sun Grown has grown on me, a very enjoyable smoke.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be hard to own a B&M. How do you stay in business selling improperly humidified or rested cigars 40% more expensive then on-line?
The recommendations of forum members is probably more valuable and relevant.
Obviously we can talk business practices and market strategy all day. But in the grand scheme of it, inventory on the shelf that's aging doesn't make you money. I wouldn't say it's the B&M's fault for "improperly humidified cigars", they can only sell what the manufacturer gives them. And if they feel it's ready for general consumption they push the product out, which in turn the B&M sells.

I agree tho a good recommendation is more valuable and relevant. But a B&M with a passion for cigars and appreciates not just a sale but hopes for a repeat sale will give that recommendation.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We tend to hammer the shops, but keeping in mind that the industry standard is 70%, and the humidor at the local b&m is opened more frequently than the one you keep at home, you have to wonder how accurate is the hygrometer in these places. Keep in mind my nearby shops don't have a lounge, so you're not smoking what you buy there anyway. The one place I do frequent with a lounge (cigar bar, actually) stores at a decent level of humidity. Haven't had a bad stick there in three years. My on line orders, that I expect to be a little damp, have also arrived in decent shape, with few problems ROTT.

But what do I know, since my post count isn't high! :whistle:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Actually out of the 11 shops in the area I have visited I have only had one bad experience. New Orleans is a Southern tourist city and most merchants try to be friendly and accommodating. The one B&M I had a problem with was out of character with the other shops.

I am learning that New Orleans has many cigar lounges, hotels and restaurants that offer cigar friendly smoking areas. More often then not the only requirement is that you buy the alcohol and/or tobacco you intend to enjoy in their lounge.

The one bad cigar was a minor problem at a shop I visit frequently. I hope to attend a C.L.E event the shop is sponsoring on Wed evening.

Fortunately we have enough options that I don't have to deal with merchants I'm not comfortable with.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there 11 options within a 50 mile radius of me, so you're lucky you have choices. For most of us (there appear to be a few exceptoins) this will be an ongoing learning experience. Enjoy the CLE event. Talk to the rep, they're usually pretty knowledgeable about their products and always willing to talk about them.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, New Orleans has a rich tobacco heritage going back to late 1800s and early 1900s when it was known as the cigar manufacturing capital of the United States. As a matter of fact one of the classiest drinking spots in the city used to be the home of one of these manufacturers. Thanks for the advice with CLE looking forward to it.