What's new

Question: Allow Kids to Have a Cigar

matalo

Man, Myth, Legend?
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Having a discussion on the chat room helped me come up with this question.

My sons, specifically, the two older ones have wanted to have a cigar for the longest time. The oldest is 17, second oldest 15.

I told them when they turn 18. But I am really not sure if this is a good thing or not. As long as they do not smoke cigarettes, I really do not care. But I wanted to get everyone else's opinion on this.

Allow or not?

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it's gonna happen sooner or later.

get them started right, and educate them on why you feel a cigar is a better alternative to a cigarette

matalo

Man, Myth, Legend?
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it's gonna happen sooner or later.

get them started right, and educate them on why you feel a cigar is a better alternative to a cigarette
I have to agree 100%, but am just "scared" for lack of a better word.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
that's totally understandable, I don't have any kids, but I already wonder how I'm going to handle the whole cigar thing

neither of my parents smoke anything, I still got into it for whatever reason

ToranoFan

BOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me them try. They may not like them at all, but atleast they wont have peer pressure to contend with. Chances are they wont know what all the fuss is about and never touch them again.

On the other hand they might develop a liking for them and you will have to buy a second humidor :D . Aslong as you dont stop them, they wont rebell and try other things.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Double-edged sword right there. The wifey might not be too happy with it. But on the other hand, it is their decision.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Educate them in more ways than one.

Tell them that current Texas law states that you cannot purchase tobacco until you are 18, so that's when they can partake. If they don't like this restriction, then encourge them to become familiar with the ways laws are made and changed. There is no age restriction on lobbying for change. Also encourge them to do some research on the pros and cons of tobacco smoking. The internet makes this process quick and easy.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I can only go by my own experience. It was a right of passage thing. We planned it all the way and when my son turned 18 we sat down and had a cigar. He may have tried them before but I can tell you that was one of the best cigars either of us had smoked.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Give them a big strong stick and tell them that they can smoke it, but they have to smoke the whole thing. That's what my dad did when I was younger, and I didn't touch another cigar (or much else for that matter) until I was 18!

TYLER

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Give them a big strong stick and tell them that they can smoke it, but they have to smoke the whole thing. That's what my dad did when I was younger, and I didn't touch another cigar (or much else for that matter) until I was 18!

TYLER
I was just about to say, give em each a JDN Antano, tell them they have to smoke the entire thing and see if they want to smoke again... as an alternative

matalo

Man, Myth, Legend?
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To elaborate I had even planned on buying a five pack of Opus or VSG's to celebrate each of my kids 18th, but am thinking the strength might be too much for them

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
You can definitely still do a special cigar on their 18th birthday and it'll be very memorable. The point of giving them a cigar early is to keep them away from smoking before the 18th. Once they're old enough they can make their own responsible decisions regarding tobacco (and other things, but we're talking about tobacco). So I don't think that one cigar before their 18th will spoil the whole rite of passage that comes on the big day.

TYLER

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
To elaborate I had even planned on buying a five pack of Opus or VSG's to celebrate each of my kids 18th, but am thinking the strength might be too much for them
Good instinct. The Opus will blow them away. We smoked a AF Don CArlos. Perfect first cigar. He even pretended it was his first. SInce then we have done the Big Smoke togather a now do regular box splits.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
That's pretty cool, Chuck. My dad is taking me to the Big Smoke in Vegas this year for my 21st birthday and I can't wait! It looks like so much fun!

TYLEr

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i agree...make it a right of passage kind of a thing

wait until their 18, and make a memory out of it. Once their that age they can make their own decision, and sharing one of your passions with them will go miles (beyond the whole smoking a cigar thing). In my mind, it should be more about the rite of passage and the memory. Definately make it a 'special' smoke, and then if after that, they are still interested, then educate them and make it about the cigars

just my $.02 though!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That's pretty cool, Chuck. My dad is taking me to the Big Smoke in Vegas this year for my 21st birthday and I can't wait! It looks like so much fun!

TYLEr
This was one of the best times we have had togather. First time just him and me in Vegas. Last few times we went with a group.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
For me and the wife, we pick carefully which battles or which issues about growing up we hold firm on and which ones we give some to our 9 year old daughter. Depending on your situation, smoking a cigar or two occasionally with your boys while there under your roof does not seem all that bad to me. Sharing an experience with them will build another bond too.