What's new

Question for the Shave experts!

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Hey guys I have a question for some of the veterans in the wonderful world of shaving

I will start with saying I have VERY sensitive skin, and since I am now pushing 30 it seems to be getting worse, I have used just about everything you can think of that you can get from walmart and every time I shave my face now brakes out, no matter what I use

So im looking for some suggestions

Thanks
Clint

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
not an expert per se, but a year in and a history of skin sensitivity, so it may help here.

- preshave oil! i use straight jojoba, but the stuff at wally world ( shave secret?) works damn well

- dove for men, post shave lotion and face lotion, both come in either hydrating or "sensitive" styles.

- DON'T overshave! i find I have issues with more passes at odd angles; two with and two against the grain. not glass smooth, but solid. i am now dialing in the shave through blade selection.

this is just what i got so far, with where i am at. listening to any further advice here. good luck!

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
If you want to get into double edged shaving that is what fixed it for me. I treat it as a mini ritual that really relaxes me.
Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/wickededge for anything related to double edged. Or the top of this forum.

If you are just looking for an aftershave lotion try Proraso Liquid Cream After-Shave great product little bit pricey.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Second the Dove for Men products, I've also had good results with the Nivea Sensitive Skin line, and they get very good reviews on shaving sites especially for being fairly inexpensive.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
- DON'T overshave! i find I have issues with more passes at odd angles; two with and two against the grain. not glass smooth, but solid.
I'm no expert either BUT...
with a sharper blade, I find that I can reduce the number of passes. I do one with, and one against the grain and come out squeaky smooth with those Feather blades HotSauce gave me. Could this help those dudes with sensitive skin, or is blade sharpness something to stay away from?

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Thanks guys keep them coming,,,,, I have been looking into a DE razor one of my B&M's I go to accually has a hole mens department with all sorts of shaving stuff in it

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
IIRC the blade is a factor of the user, and the pitch of the blade provided by the handle is where your skin type comes in to it.

and, yes, the screaming-sharp feathers are just rocking, once you learn to respect them!

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
The sharper the blade the better for sensitive skin. I do single pass with the straight since it doesnt need to be babyass. Rinse with ice cold water to contract the skin and run a alum bar against it. Follow up with post shave lotion for hydration/barrier and make sure you lotion your neck.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I have the same Parker. Love it for the long handle.
same reason I got it, loved the longer handle, the blades im not sure on but they said they where good

Looks like a good start brother. Pick out a brush and mug yet?
Thanks Brother, Don't have a brush or mug yet
Whats your brush budget? Unless you have $50 or more to spend on a brush I would avoid badger. Instead pick up a really nice Omega Boar brush. You can get a great brush for $9 - $20.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
same reason I got it, loved the longer handle, the blades im not sure on but they said they where good

Whats your brush budget? Unless you have $50 or more to spend on a brush I would avoid badger. Instead pick up a really nice Omega Boar brush. You can get a great brush for $9 - $20.
Yeah, I have a couple of Badger brushes and I don't think either one of them was under $35. Also, make sure that you have a stand so that, after you wash the brush out, you hang it upside-down to dy. If you let it dry standing upright, the water can rot the hairs, causing them to fall out. Wash the brush immediately after use (I wash it immediately after lathering up my face to give the soap/cream a few extra moments to sit on my face) and hang it to dry. Do that and your brush should last for years!

You can spend hundreds on a chrome or stainless stand but I paid about $10 for mine. I need to get a new stand now that I bought the DE razor but no urgency on that.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
One other thing, while i love the Dove products I would pick up different cream instead of that gel. The other items are solid though
I'll go so far as to say I hate the Dove shaving cream. I just finished a tube of it (wasted a whole bunch just to get through it faster). If you spend a bit more on a quality shave cream, it will last a long time. I've found that a single $15 tube of a high quality shaving cream lasts as long as three $5 cans of that foam shit. So, at the same unit price, use something better for your skin and that's more enjoyable to use.

Of course, that's according to my shaving preferences and my skin type.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0

One other thing, while i love the Dove products I would pick up different cream instead of that gel. The other items are solid though
Thanks Brothers Not sure about the brushes haven't looked into that stuff yet but the budget is whatever I spend LoL,

As for the dove it was actually a kit for $29 at my local B&M, and I seen it had a face wash and the post Shave balm in it so I figured what the heck,

Haven't looked into the creams, brush's, mugs yet

And I couldn't find the jojoba? pre shave oil

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

Yeah, I have a couple of Badger brushes and I don't think either one of them was under $35. Also, make sure that you have a stand so that, after you wash the brush out, you hang it upside-down to dy. If you let it dry standing upright, the water can rot the hairs, causing them to fall out. Wash the brush immediately after use (I wash it immediately after lathering up my face to give the soap/cream a few extra moments to sit on my face) and hang it to dry. Do that and your brush should last for years!

You can spend hundreds on a chrome or stainless stand but I paid about $10 for mine. I need to get a new stand now that I bought the DE razor but no urgency on that.
Did you get your stand online or locally?