What's new

Randomly unable to taste cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I thought I'd post this question here as although I've found similar questions nothing exactly covers my predicament.

So, basically I periodically cannot taste anything from my cigars other than a nasty wet tobacco flavor, and even that is rather hollow. It used to be that this would happen to me for a few weeks, once a year, typically about this time. So, I had been chalking it up to some sort of weird allergy that I otherwise can't feel. I still can taste everything else just fine, and don't seem to have any problems with my nose. At least none that I can detect. However, this year, its happened to me twice consecutively. A few weeks ago I had my no taste week, chalked it up to fate and moved on with my life. Flavor returned the following week, and all was well with the world. However, after two weeks of tasty goodness, this week I couldn't taste my cigars again. The thing is, it was night and day sudden. I had a delicious San Lotano Oval on Thursday, and Friday I lit up to find some delicious nothing.

I'm hoping somebody here has some idea what it could be. I thought my storage was pretty solid. I have a 200 count humi, a 50 count humi, and a coolerdor. All have 70% beads, and even though its been getting a bit warm around here, the temp inside the humidors have been 73 degrees or lower. The cigars I've picked have had at least two weeks to acclimate, if not longer. The cigars themselves have smoked fine, from a construction standpoint. Wavy burn, but nothing that wont resolve itself. They aren't swollen with humidity, nor crackling with dryness. They're firm but with a slight give. Most importantly, I can still see their slight oily sheen. So I know that there SHOULD be flavor. Here's the kicker, though. When I can't taste anything, it doesn't matter which humidor I pick from, the result is the same. So it has to be me, right? However, if it is me, I can't tell what is going on. I don't have any other symptoms if it is allergies.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
My guess is either dehydration or cigars are just too wet due to ambient outside RH being to high in most parts of the country lately.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had the exact same thing happen to me a few times this year. I have pretty bad allergys and it typically happens right after i have a really bad allergy attack. The last time i was smoking a UF-13 dark and i nearly pitched it because i could bare smoking anymore of it. It was by no means the cigar, because that stick is perfection! Its just my palate that leaves me every once in a while. I would just ride it out and dont smoke anything to crazy. It took me a few weeks and then i was able to really enjoy them again.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Sorry to bump this thread but I have had this problem lately and it's extremely infuriating!

I have wasted two decent cigars because I have been unable to taste anything from cigars. I am not sure what it is but I think the only solution is just to take a few weeks off... I have wondered if it was the result of medication, allergies, or the onset of some sort of URI but I can't really nail it down to anything in particular. This has happened to me in the past before and usually it's after a weekend of heavy smoking in which 2-3 days off of smoking fixes the issue. However, as of recently all taste from tobacco is just not there.

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Pickles helps shock the palate so I've heard i used to get that when I vaped it was called vapors tongue its more to do with you sinuses than your mouth it may help Just giving my two cents.

kimene16

Home away from Home
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't think its your cigars. Sounds like, your body needs ZINC. Try taking ZINC supplements for a week or so. You'll feel the difference. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Sorry to bump this thread but I have had this problem lately and it's extremely infuriating!

I have wasted two decent cigars because I have been unable to taste anything from cigars. I am not sure what it is but I think the only solution is just to take a few weeks off... I have wondered if it was the result of medication, allergies, or the onset of some sort of URI but I can't really nail it down to anything in particular. This has happened to me in the past before and usually it's after a weekend of heavy smoking in which 2-3 days off of smoking fixes the issue. However, as of recently all taste from tobacco is just not there.
@Daven. Have you considered writing down all pertinent information when this happens? Date, time of day, what you have eaten and drank, how you feel physically, medications you have taken, how many cigars you have smoked in the last 48 hours, and the temp and RH of the humidor. My guess is that you will soon see a pattern appear and begin to nail down the problem so you can avoid it in the future. Let us know how it turns out.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I had some really bad sinus issues, and my smoking palate completely disappeared. About a year I had surgery to correct the problem, and I'm still working on bringing my palate back. I'll try the zinc and pickles!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I don't think its your cigars. Sounds like, your body needs ZINC. Try taking ZINC supplements for a week or so. You'll feel the difference. Good luck.
I do take a multi-vitamin daily and have for few years.

@Daven. Have you considered writing down all pertinent information when this happens? Date, time of day, what you have eaten and drank, how you feel physically, medications you have taken, how many cigars you have smoked in the last 48 hours, and the temp and RH of the humidor. My guess is that you will soon see a pattern appear and begin to nail down the problem so you can avoid it in the future. Let us know how it turns out.
I have experienced this issue for close to three weeks now and I cannot nail it down to anything in particular. I don't eat spicy food that much, I don't smoke cigarettes, I don't have a sinus infection or cold of some sort... During the prior incidents of not being able to 'taste' I have linked it to heavy smoking which usually results in just diminished taste or cigars all tasting similar. In the past three weeks I have had about 7 cigars and all have been pitched because the flavors are just bitter/sour or there is nothing coming from them. This usually is a problem that I have noticed if I smoke too much during a weekend and is fixed by taking a few days off. This recent issue I can't nail down to anything in particular... I am just going to take some time away from tobacco (more than a week) and see what happens.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I do take a multi-vitamin daily and have for few years.

I have experienced this issue for close to three weeks now and I cannot nail it down to anything in particular. I don't eat spicy food that much, I don't smoke cigarettes, I don't have a sinus infection or cold of some sort... During the prior incidents of not being able to 'taste' I have linked it to heavy smoking which usually results in just diminished taste or cigars all tasting similar. In the past three weeks I have had about 7 cigars and all have been pitched because the flavors are just bitter/sour or there is nothing coming from them. This usually is a problem that I have noticed if I smoke too much during a weekend and is fixed by taking a few days off. This recent issue I can't nail down to anything in particular... I am just going to take some time away from tobacco (more than a week) and see what happens.
Sounds like a reasonable course of action. When was the last time you calibrated your hygrometers?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I haven't had my humidor for more than a few months so it's been since October.
Just so you cover all your bases, it might be a good time to calibrate. That way you can at least rule out a humidity problem as the source. Since it has been going on now for 3 weeks, and if I understand you correctly, has been the same with all cigars.
And @kimene16 has a good idea. If you can get your hands on a cigar from a different humidor and smoke it. If it is tasteless or nasty, then it likely is your palate. If it tastes fine, then there is a good chance you have a temp or humidity issue.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just so you cover all your bases, it might be a good time to calibrate. That way you can at least rule out a humidity problem as the source. Since it has been going on now for 3 weeks, and if I understand you correctly, has been the same with all cigars.
And @kimene16 has a good idea. If you can get your hands on a cigar from a different humidor and smoke it. If it is tasteless or nasty, then it likely is your palate. If it tastes fine, then there is a good chance you have a temp or humidity issue.
Probably should have mentioned this prior but it doesn't matter the conditions. I have smoked from a few different humidors (B&Ms) and the results are all the same. I will however give calibrating my hydrometer a shot, I am not sure if that will change much but it certain wont hurt either.

-edit-

Thanks to all who responded. ;)

Last edited: