• 1 hour

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
How long is too long to let an extinguished cigar sit beore relighting it?

Of course this may vary, depending on the cost, age, rarity of the stick, but generally speaking)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
How long is too long to let an extinguished cigar sit beore relighting it?

Of course this may vary, depending on the cost, age, rarity of the stick, but generally speaking)

I once let one sit half-smoked for a full day. It was an RP that I just wasn't too thrilled with, but thought maybe my taste-buds were saturated by the very spicey dinner I'd had. I kept it humidified and cool, then snipped about half an inch off and re-lit it.

But typically, I just don't like doing it. If I know I don't have enough time to smoke a churchill, I'm not going to light up a churchill.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I waited and waited and finally the poll appeared :grin:. I usually don't clip & save 'em unless it's something that's going to be quick. Like if I'm on a walk and have to go into a store or something real quick. Or if I have an unexpected something come up and I have to take a break. Try to keep it as short as possible.

Dan

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Yeah, I echo dan's sentiments.

Leaving it for a day was something that was actually unintentional. I stopped smoking, and set it down expecting to return to it later in the evening, but ended up getting pretty drunk and passing out.

I just don't do re-lights if I don't have to. If i have to leave the cigar, I try to leave it for a short enough period that a re-light isn't required.

If I know ahead of time that there are things I need to do/places I need to go that will keep me from smoking the whole thing, I'll just go and do those things first so I can relax and enjoy it.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'd say 30-60 minutes and if I'm even thinking about re-lighting it I'm clipping off at least a 1/4 " above where it was last lite.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Wow, 5 minutes, that cigar snob :) I can' think of how many times I have had to step away for more than 5 minutes and it went out. I can't afford that. I voted an hour, as that is probably the limit for me. I can't think of many that has ever happened to me with. I have had one or two that I had just started and they sat outside all night. I woke up the next day, clipped both ends, purged, and went smoking away. One of them actually was better the next day. :smokingbo

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know a lot about cigars.
I often do relights (just because of my job) after an hour or sometimes a couple , but then i could realize some cigars tend to get bitter and ashy . Specially young cigars , connies, spicy side cigars. But some cigars with age tend to taste as if nothing happened.In my experience , the Tatuaje Havanas, i was surprised they didnt get any harsh or bitter tastes after a couple of hours off. The padilla 1932 either .
Maybe its about some specific leafs with a miner combustion that changes flavor after the burn is off, but dont know which .
Maybe the manufacturers could answer that.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I do it all the time...5 minutes or 1.5 days...it's all good. The initial relight is the real problem. You can either relight and deal with it, or you can cut of the burnt portion and relight.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Will give it a shot for up to an hour. That said depending on the cigar it may turn after 5 min other cigars may be good still after the hour. If it has turned I just pitch it and grab a new one.

Posted via Mobile Device

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Wow, 5 minutes, that cigar snob :) I can' think of how many times I have had to step away for more than 5 minutes and it went out. I can't afford that. I voted an hour, as that is probably the limit for me.
no doubt! I often at work have to relight a cigar. 15-20 minutes is common once or twice a cigar even. I just knock all the ash off tap it in the ashtray a couple times then relight, no big deal. Would I like to smoke the whole thing with no relights? You bet I would, but shit happens and I don't let it bother me.

I voted an hour as it was the longest choice, but realistically I would say more like 2 hours then pitch it for me.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I would say that almost anything will re-light just fine under 20 minutes - after that some start to taste 'ashy' or burnt. A lot has to do with the environment too - if it's particularly dry, any stick can be unsmokable in 45 minutes.

Despite all that, I voted an hour, because I regularly smoke half a stick in the late morning & won't pick it back up till mid afternoon. My prefference as far as 're-light-able' sticks are (in order of best to worst): Nicaraguan, Dominican, Cuban.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Usually the only time I will relight is if it goes out while I am smoking it. I have occasionally left a stick in the ashtray for a while and then relit it. I just think it tastes like crap after its gone out and cooled.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I went with 15, any more than that and I start to notice a decent difference in taste. But definitely after 15 mins it sucks more for me, but if its an expensive stick I'll refuse to throw it out still, I'm just a cheap bastard like that.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
it depends on the stick, I almost always try though.

Clip, light, PURGE. Keep it going just enough to PURGE more. After a few minute of this, the cigar will often return to a flavor similar to when I first lit it.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
I can't clip them b4 a relit. Even if I go past the burnt stuff the clippers carry a ashy taste to the next cigar when I clip the head.