What's new

Reasons for Being here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It has been suggested to me by another member that I "rethink" my reason for being here..My smoking habits were even questioned.

I dunno, has anyone else ever been faced with this?

From where i sit, I think it's rude to even suggest such a thing, as if it's anyone's business.

Oh, and in case anyone care..I post on the things that interest me, or where I can make a contribution.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
allanf said:
It has been suggested to me by another member that I "rethink" my reason for being here..My smoking habits were even questioned.

I dunno, has anyone else ever been faced with this?

From where i sit, I think it's rude to even suggest such a thing, as if it's anyone's business.
Personally, I think if members of a cigar smokers forum only participate in debates and/or non-cigar related topics they should consider their motivations for posting here.

By no means am I suggesting that if someone only smokes one or two cigars a week, or a month for that matter, should not be a member of a cigar smokers forum. What I am suggesting is that anyone who is a member here should at least express some level of interst in cigars or tobacco.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think everyone is here for cigars first and foremost. To discuss them in their entirety.

We then have other places of discourse.

Allan, I think you might have been questioned just because it seems a large majority of your posts are only in the Debate Forum whereas others have a lot of thier posts spread out across the board.

I could be totally off base here....but just a thought.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Cigar boards are for cigar smokers. But, it seems from your trader feedback you do indeed smoke cigars. I don't really see an issue but it would be nice for you to be involved in some of the cigar discussions. Just my 2 cents.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Actually, it's crossed my mind a number of times. I like the fact that there are "alternative" forums on BOTL that cover other hobbies, interests, etc, but if I don't smoke cigars/pipes or at least have an interest in those things...I'm not sure why I'd be here.

I have an interest in firearms. There's a firearm sub-forum here and I post on it. I wouldn't come here strictly for that though. Plenty of other forums out there for me to discuss that topic on.

I like political debates (so long as they don't get out of hand) and I go both here and another cigar forum for the political/debate forums. I don't care about it enough to search out strictly political debate forums though, it's just something that interests me enough to participate as I'm already here for the cigar part of the board.

Basically, I come here for the fact that this is BoTL. Brothers of the Leaf. I come to share discussion on a topic that we all share an interest in. The side stuff is nice and allows me to get to know the people on the site better. It's not the reason I'm here.

If it's the reason you ARE here...well, that's kind of out of whack with what the overall site is meant to be, isn't it?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think if there was a problem with Allan's positing style or what topics he chooses to post in, then the moderators would have talked to him about it.
If they haven't, then there is no problem.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have been a cigar smoker for 25 years, longer than many of you have been alive.

As I said, I post on the things that interest me. If I was buying a box, i'd share about that. Since I went from cigars to pipes, and ;-( back to cigs, my cigar consumption as gone way down, but i've smoke four or five in the past week or so, does that count?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Missing the point Allan. I know many cigar smokers who don't post or even care about cigar forums. You say you post about things that interest you and that you can contribute to. Based on your recent post, Cigars don't interest you or you don't feel you can contribute.

And the first sentence of your above post is extremely condescending. But since you posted it, I didn't realize that many people on the board were 25 or younger.

brainvictim

Whats going on over here?
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do not see how being part of a forum you are required to participate in discussions that exceed the knowledge base that one has. I will admit, I do not participate in as many discussions as I would like, I enjoy reading the remarks, and points given, but that is because I do not feel I would add anything of great meaning to the discussion.

I frequent a paintball forum as well, and they have off topic sections as well, I spend more time going through the movies, music, small talk, and technology sections of that forum for the fact that I do not feel like discussing paintball all the time. And when and if I do get into discussions of paintball, you usually end up in an arguement with a "fanboy" to "x" company or team or whatever. So that discourages me from those sections.

Here I feel that I am not up to par to some of the members, being unable to clearly define how a particular cigar smoked, or how it drew or burned. So I have personally limited my interaction in discussions because of that. But to be told to go away, find somewhere else to play, is just a little harsh, specially since it's an internet forum, not a discussion at a cigar shop.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is silly in my opinion. People come to certain boards because they're interested in the main topic. Whether or not they post frequently in the main section has no bearing on their interest in the reason the board is there. On another board I post mostly in the debate section because frankly I don't smoke enough or travel to herfs or to shows or buy enough cigars to post that often in the main room. No one cares, no one should care here either. We share a particular hobby that also includes other areas of interest and that makes for some good conversations.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok, i"ll as Eric to revoke my membership as my cigar related posts are way down.

and many on this board are under 25, how is that condescending? I wish i had known other guys my age who smoked cigars when i was 25. I said that to make a point about my cigar smoking...

You seem to post to the firearms threads as you say, but has anyone said to you you really should re-think being on a cigar board and move to a gun board?

I thought this was a community?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think if Allan was just posting on the beverage forum, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Just because he managed to aggravate a few of you by posting in the debate forum, doesn't mean you can question whether or not he belongs here.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Allan, I really wish you'd pay more attention to what I post. Go back and re-read what I said. No one has suggested any such thing, but I don't spend 98% of my time on the Firearm's section of the board either. I regularly contribute to almost all the forums on this board. My posts to the firearm section and Debate section are the exception, not the rule.

And to clarify, were you asked/told to "Go away" or "Play somewhere else"?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Kingston said:
I think if Allan was just posting on the beverage forum, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Actually, we wouldn't be having this discussion had Allan not posted the question.

brainvictim

Whats going on over here?
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jwrussell said:
And to clarify, were you asked/told to "Go away" or "Play somewhere else"?

That is what I took from allans post, not words he posted, but what I took from the post. I do not want to add words to his mouth, but I also, hope none said that to him.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Actually, we wouldn't be having this discussion had Allan not posted the question.
The question was originally posted to him in the Middle East debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.