What's new

Recharging Boveda Packs

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I've been recharging them with a shot glass full of distiller water in a Tupperware. Takes a few weeks or longer, but works fine. Hadn't thought about overcharging them at all.
I overcharged a couple last year. It wasn't catastrophic - just left them out overnight and they were fine.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
So are you saying you have no bovedas right now and have sticks you are concerned about it?
I have reverted to using beads an kl for the time being, so mot overlay concerned, but yes I am low on bovedas. There was a mention of a sale at cigars internationale but they don't ship internationaly. Go figure.

The packs I have are brown.

Didn't think they could "overcharge"
Now I am concerned...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
A friend of mine says the new brown ones can literally just be submerged in water. The white ones disintegrate, but the brown inches are fine. I've not confirmed this, but it's what I've been told.
I have reverted to using beads an kl for the time being, so mot overlay concerned, but yes I am low on bovedas. There was a mention of a sale at cigars internationale but they don't ship internationaly. Go figure.

The packs I have are brown.

Didn't think they could "overcharge"
Now I am concerned...
ONE: you have plenty of bovedas to humidify what cigars you have now.
TWO: overcharging is very rare in my experience and I've put them on top of watered down beads.
THREE: I only had two thoughts. :)

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
ONE: you have plenty of bovedas to humidify what cigars you have now.
TWO: overcharging is very rare in my experience and I've put them on top of watered down beads.
THREE: I only had two thoughts. :)
As soon as they are recharged, I will fully agree with you. Likely before the middle of the week. That's why I am not overly concerned. In my initial statement I said I would have preferred to have a second set for the recharge period, but recharge time came faster than anticipated...

Fwiw the humi has been stable all of today at 65.

Thanks for the comment on hard to overfill.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Um, what if I've been recharging with regular water, not distilled, for about a year? We have well so the water is pure. Should I switch to distilled?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Um, what if I've been recharging with regular water, not distilled, for about a year? We have well so the water is pure. Should I switch to distilled?
probably safer for the sticks. Or at least that's what they say.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
As long as you are not submerging them in the water you should be fine. The recharging is done by water vapor and that shouldn't have impurities in it. The concern comes when you spray directly on to a media and then the dissolved minerals in the water can corrupt the crystals.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
As long as you are not submerging them in the water you should be fine. The recharging is done by water vapor and that shouldn't have impurities in it. The concern comes when you spray directly on to a media and then the dissolved minerals in the water can corrupt the crystals.
I'm not a scientist but if that was true, why would everyone suggest using distilled water to season the humidors (in small glass jars or sponges or the like.) Not arguing with you, just curious?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm not a scientist but if that was true, why would everyone suggest using distilled water to season the humidors (in small glass jars or sponges or the like.) Not arguing with you, just curious?
Not sure. That is a good question. Maybe it's a safeguard against a spill, or maybe to get you used to using DW as a rehumidifier. I'm not a scientist either, but water vapor should be as pure as distilled water. That is how they get it, condensed steam (water vapor). Any impurities from the tap water should be left as a residue in the original container. I didn't really question it before when I poured DW on a sponge in a dish to season my humidor.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I asked because I thought water vapor is essentially distillation process.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think the idea is that you don't want to wipe water with additives or impurities all over your Spanish cedar, or for stuff like chlorine to be sitting in your humi for a week or more.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I think the idea is that you don't want to wipe water with additives or impurities all over your Spanish cedar, or for stuff like chlorine to be sitting in your humi for a week or more.
I get that and adding to beads. But just putting glass of water in humi?

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I haven't had to actively recharge my Bovedas. I have Bovedas and HF beads in all my humidors. If the beads are all white, I overcharge them all clear. The Bovedas recharge off the excess and everything stays stable. But, I do run a pound of beads and a dozen Bovedas in each of my large humidors.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been told that new ones should last two months. Will recharged ones last that long as we'll? I have have been throwing them away once they get hard.