What's new

Recommend a non cuban for a cuban only guy

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
A few but not many. The few I have tried on your list I haven't revisited since I got into CCs.
Most of them are worth trying at least, if ever you're in the mood. Some moreso than others. But many of them are more suited to a Cuban preference palate than most other NC's out there. Varying flavor profiles of course. And some are gonna be more elegant with a little time on them.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would personally go with non cuban sticks that showcase a leaf or fermentation method you would never find in Cuba. The Fuente Anejo is my favorite stick, broadleaf wrapper aged in cognac barrels. It will give an entirely different texture and dimension to the smoke that youre not used to. I would also recommend Caldwell, specifically the Eastern Standard, or the La Barba Purple. The La Barba has a Dominican leaf called Carbonell thats super unique. Very bright in flavor. I would stay away from any nc brands that are trying too hard to look “cuban” with the exception of Curivari. Those are all very good.
Tatuaje is my favorite brand in general, but quickly being overtaken by Caldwell and more recently, Viaje. Viaje’s pepper line and most of the white series releases have been amazing, but hard to find.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Well...shit. I'll have to so some googling. Brothers have sent sticks to other brothers across the pond.
@stonedpirate - your call - I'm open for a trade if there's no Customs or any other hangups that will kill this. I can ship with Boveda and whatever...
Send them as "candles" ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

Yes I am in Australia, very little gets through customs and we now pay nearly $1000 per kilo of tobacco tax + 10% GST + Import Duty then retail markup so non cubans end up costing the same as cubans hence my lack of non cuban experience :p

Was looking for sticks that weren't anything like cubans to showcase the perks of non cubans.

I have read a lot of reviews on many of the sticks listed above and sound just like what im looking for. Obviously not all of them are available to me in australia but many are so looking forward to them arriving. Will let them rest for a month or two and give non cubans the the respect of an honest comparison :p

Threw in a MUWAT 7x70 because never had a monster cigar either :p Not a fan of cocoa only cigars so not expecting much but will be good to feel american for a couple of hours :p

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Are you looking for something with a “Cuban” profile? A lot of the recommendations I would suggest for that have already been said.

If you want something that is completely different but a fantastic smoke in its own right, I’d second the recommendation for a Padron 1926 or a 1964 - similar smokes but I find the 1926 to be a better blend.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason, yes many have recommended padron so bought a fair few to try. Also got an opus x and a few other well known ones.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Other smokes I really enjoy that are not cubanesque...

My Father Le Bijou 1922 Petit Robusto
Oliva Serie V (and the Serie O!)
Don Pepin Garcia Blue
Dunbarton Sobremesa

Something I should also mention as well, I prefer a robusto or close to that size with my recommendations...