What's new

Recommend me a good stout

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Historically, I've been a typical lager/pilsner type guy, with an occasional venture into darker beers. In the last year though, I've started to enjoy more dark/flavorful beers. Been on a chocolate stout kick for the last few weeks (Rogue, Young's)

So, my beer minded brothers...I ask:

What are some of your favorite porters/stouts (preferably, stuff that isn't too hard to find)?

*Edit*
Found this thread - http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/49927-Favorite-Stout?highlight=stout

But if you have any other suggestions...I'm open to hearing them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you live in the Founders distribution area, pity that I don't, I cannot recommend enough their breakfast stout. I import it by the case when I visit my godson.

Stone's Russian imperial stout is also very nice and their Belgo-Anise version makes it a little more smooth, less bite.

The guys at terrapin in Georgia make some awesome seasonal stouts but they'll be tough to locate right now

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
if you want good Chocolate stouts.....Southern Tier Choklat and Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oak aged yeti is really good. Rogues oatmeal stout is nice for a lighter bodied stout. If ya really want something good try to find a Brooklyn black ops with a couple years on it. Amazing beer.
my all time favorite is the imperial stout trooper that new England brewing makes. Comes out around Thanksgiving/xmas time every year. I don't think they distribute very far though.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
more avail. AZ dist. stouts

excellent value stuff is bear republic black
old(er) viscosity !
alaskan smoked porter
Alesmith speedway
victory at sea porter when in season

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
BIG +1 to the stone russian imp. and the southern tier chokolat. and of course the guiness (slainte!). also throw out samuel smith's oatmeal stout. and terrapin moo hoo! (milk stout counts, right?) and does anyone know if they still import beamish from ireland? crazy good.

you people are making me miss beer, grr! and welcome to the dark side. o)

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
founders porter
founders breakfast stout
bell's expedition stout
bell's worldwide stout
clown shoes vampire slayer
clown shoes blaecorn unidragon
old engine oil
mikkeller beer geek breakfast

to name a few

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
My favorite is Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. Easy to find and very tasty.
+1 Veeref (Randy) recommended this to me about a month ago and can't stop drinking it. I'm not even a big beer guy. It's very easy to find, tastes great, and goes well with a cigar! But I think most Stouts and Porters go great with cigars.

pmd

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Totally second the Rasputin stout and Shaef stout brings back some great memories. My favorite by a long shot though is definitely Black Boss porter. If I remember right it's from Poland but I can usually find it around town here in Portland. The flavor is unique and excellent.

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks everybody...looks like I've got a long list of stuff to search for...should keep me happy for a while...lol

ZoS0

Unicorn Wrangler
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is really good.

As far as Beamish goes, I haven't seen that around in a couple years. I believe when they were purchased by Heineken they stopped selling to the US.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I really enjoy Breckinridge Oatmeal Stout and Vanilla Porter. Both are amazing dark beers available here in AZ Nic.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I find it amazing that the same people that would never smoke an infused cigar have no problem drinking a flavored beer. Not a knock, just an observation. :dunno: