What's new

Recommendations for some baccy

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@RevSmoke, yes I pretty much figured that out, thanks for the detailed explanation though, very interesting points. I have recently tried the Happy Brown Bogie in my quest for full bodied/full flavor tobacco, and this one definitely fits the bill. Taking suggestions from this thread, I have just ordered some G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight and S.G. St. James Flake along with some Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake that someone else had recommended.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@RevSmoke, yes I pretty much figured that out, thanks for the detailed explanation though, very interesting points. I have recently tried the Happy Brown Bogie in my quest for full bodied/full flavor tobacco, and this one definitely fits the bill. Taking suggestions from this thread, I have just ordered some G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight and S.G. St. James Flake along with some Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake that someone else had recommended.
Brown Bogie is so tasty when sipped slowly. I like to cut thin disks, fold them, and stuff them. Then I take a couple disks and rub them out completely, putting that on top of the folded disks, giving it a good start to easier lighting. It is pretty smooth stuff, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Enjoy the journey, my friend. Pipes are enjoyable, but they are completely different critters from cigars!
I love a ribeye steak, I love broiled scallops. But I do not expect them to taste anything like the other.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So I have a couple of blends that I really like the flavor, but they either get a little harsh or too much bite. What type of blending tobacco can I use to smooth it out and how much should I use?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I have a couple of blends that I really like the flavor, but they either get a little harsh or too much bite. What type of blending tobacco can I use to smooth it out and how much should I use?

What is it that you like the flavor of? Hard to say what to add to the blend without altering the flavor, if we don't know what you like.
Oftentimes the harshness & the bite can be tempered by a couple things.
1. smoking slower. Sip the tobacco, don't puff it. Give a minute between puffs.
2. moisture in the bottom of the bowl - easily corrected by inserting a pipe cleaner all the way to the bowl. DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT take the stem out to do this.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks, I've learned to smoke slow and have done the pipe cleaner thing for excess moisture. Just wondering if there was a tobacco type that might help with this problem when mixed in. I like heavy blends, dark fired KY and burley in particular.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have found this to be the case with most pipe tobacco, except for the Mac Baren Flake I've had. It seems to stay lit and cool smoking when it's rubbed out well.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Tobacco could be too wet??? Try letting it dry out a little before getting started. That's my guess.
I try. I'm not sure exactly what properly dry should feel like; the other day I tried some bone dry stuff and it stayed lit a little better, but I'd still end up choo-choo puffing it to get an ember going which made it hot and bitey. Pipes are hard lol.

Love, LoRoK.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I try. I'm not sure exactly what properly dry should feel like; the other day I tried some bone dry stuff and it stayed lit a little better, but I'd still end up choo-choo puffing it to get an ember going which made it hot and bitey. Pipes are hard lol.

Love, LoRoK.
You want a little bit of moisture but not crisp, bone dry and brittle. Regardless of the blend, I too get the tongue bite sometimes whether I'm puffing too slow or fast. Piping isn't hard once you practice and get the swing of things. I've been piping 2 years I think?? And still learning every day. Patience pays off, something I really lack.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well I'm going to add some black Cavendish and see if that mellows it out a bit, probably start with 25%.