What's new

Regarding my first briar

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
How do I tell when it's ready to smoke again?

And thanks for all your help btw!
You just have to remember what time you put it to rest. Then wait the 24 hours. So you're done smoking at 5pm then it should be good to go 5pm next day. Hence, many of us have a budding collection of pipes. Or one already well established. So you can get a decent rotation going. That comes IN TIME. I'm on my 7th pipe come saturday.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You just have to remember what time you put it to rest. Then wait the 24 hours. So you're done smoking at 5pm then it should be good to go 5pm next day. Hence, many of us have a budding collection of pipes. Or one already well established. So you can get a decent rotation going. That comes IN TIME. I'm on my 7th pipe come saturday.
My question was about your comment that if it needs more than 24 so be it.

How would i know if it needed more than 24 hours is all i was wondering.

Yep, I'll definitely need time to get up to 7 pipes lol! Just this one the wife shit herself when i told her it was 80 bucks!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My question was about your comment that if it needs more than 24 so be it.

How would i know if it needed more than 24 hours is all i was wondering.

Yep, I'll definitely need time to get up to 7 pipes lol! Just this one the wife shit herself when i told her it was 80 bucks!
Sorry, what I meant to say is, 24 hours minimum before you could smoke that pipe again. Should you not have time to smoke, then it's ok to let it sit longer until you have some more free time on your hands. Hopefully, that clears it up???

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry, what I meant to say is, 24 hours minimum before you could smoke that pipe again. Should you not have time to smoke, then it's ok to let it sit longer until you have some more free time on your hands. Hopefully, that clears it up???
Ahh gotcha, thanks man!!
I filled up the cob because that baby bowl just wasn't enough. Night and day compared to the Sav!
I don't think I packed the Sav correctly but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ahh gotcha, thanks man!!
I filled up the cob because that baby bowl just wasn't enough. Night and day compared to the Sav!
I don't think I packed the Sav correctly but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough :)
I packed the PERFECT bowl the other day in my Sav. Smoked beautifully for roughly an hour with only 2 relights maybe 3. I was so proud of myself lol. It takes time and patience to pack. Have you looked up some youtube vids also on packing the pipe??

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I packed the PERFECT bowl the other day in my Sav. Smoked beautifully for roughly an hour with only 2 relights maybe 3. I was so proud of myself lol. It takes time and patience to pack. Have you looked up some youtube vids also on packing the pipe??
OH YEA! That's a good feeling man!

I've seen so many damn videos this past month. I'll figure out how to do it consistently one of these days!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I learned (Thanks @Grrrrr609) to smoke a burley as the first bowl or two in a new pipe. That being said, here are two thoughts:
  1. I really found Carter Hall to be unexciting and disappointing. So why smoke such a pedestrian blend that you may not enjoy just to get the briar going? Now, if you like CH, then go for it!
  2. For the most part, I haven't assigned specific baccy types to my pipes with the exception of aros. I only smoke aros in a cob or the one briar that I use exclusively for them. Other than that, Va/Per, Burleys, English blends... I'll smoke any of them in any of my pipes. I clean my pipes after each use and I find no issue with ghosting.
And, as others have noted, congrats!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned (Thanks @Grrrrr609) to smoke a burley as the first bowl or two in a new pipe. That being said, here are two thoughts:
  1. I really found Carter Hall to be unexciting and disappointing. So why smoke such a pedestrian blend that you may not enjoy just to get the briar going? Now, if you like CH, then go for it!
  2. For the most part, I haven't assigned specific baccy types to my pipes with the exception of aros. I only smoke aros in a cob or the one briar that I use exclusively for them. Other than that, Va/Per, Burleys, English blends... I'll smoke any of them in any of my pipes. I clean my pipes after each use and I find no issue with ghosting.
And, as others have noted, congrats!
Right! There is no reason lol! There are more than a few Burley blends though lol :).

The_Rev

Chaplain of Saints and Sinners
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Listen to your Rev, don't overthink. Don't worry how you perfectly pack it. Don't worry about number if relights. If you just have one pipe, smoke that pipe when you want. If you're worried about burning it out, don't worry. If you're liking pipes you'll buy another pipe before you come anywhere near burning out that one. Check out Smokingpipes.com estate pipe section and you can get great smokers for <$50.
Mike Lancaster, my guru from Tobacco Pipe Collectors, says if you just have the one pipe, smoke it as much as you like as long as you let it cool a little and run a pipe cleaner through it.
If you're worried about ghosting, get a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs and if the tobacco smells strongly flavored, use the cob. Otherwise, smoke it in your one pipe. You think Clive Englishman the coal miner did all this OCD stuff with his pipe back in the 1700s. Hell no.
Smoke the pipe. Enjoy the pipe. Don't worry about the pipe.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
And!? How did it go!?
It went ok the first go round. Only filled less than half a bowl.
I filled her up to the top today with deception pass and it was AWESOME!
Thoroughly enjoyed it! Clenching the damn thing is proving to be difficult so i just held it in my hand mostly. It got a tad bit hot at times but I laid off when I felt it heat up :)
Realllllly glad I picked up this Sav. However, I think I'm in for an expensive ride the next few months. I don't even want to load the cobs anymore :)