What's new

Relax on Cigar Ban?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It'll be temporary. Just like the boom in the late 90's. It will be a fad for a few years and die out. People should be happy for the Alan Gross, his family, the unnamed intelligence asset, and the cuban spies held by the US that were released. Worrying about the increase in the price of cigars or decrease in quality is really poor form.
This is a cigar board. Of course we're gonna talk about cigars.

That doesn't diminish the significance of what's going on at all, it's just a side topic that happens to be very interesting to cigar smokers.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
It'll be temporary. Just like the boom in the late 90's. It will be a fad for a few years and die out. People should be happy for the Alan Gross, his family, the unnamed intelligence asset, and the cuban spies held by the US that were released. Worrying about the increase in the price of cigars or decrease in quality is really poor form.
Very good point.....Thank you for drawing this topic back, and putting it in perspective.
Human life far outweighs the cigar hobby.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Poor form? Dude this is a cigar forum. We talk about cigars and things that would impact the cigar hobby. Just because we think it would increase prices; or question quality issues, is only answering the question posted by the OP. Both interest are not mutually exclusive.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
what it means is that (whenever it is lifted) that quality will go down the toilet and prices will go through the roof. That will last for quite some time, until the Cubans can get things where they need to be for the new increased demand. I doubt (at least for awhile) we would see too many blends of Cuban and Non-Cuban tobacco, as the State would still control tobacco production. Also, I believe this would mean an INCREASE in fakes as now US Dealers/ Stores could claim they are using Cuban tobacco, etc. when in reality, as I said, it would still be controlled by the State (for the foreseeable future).

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I wonder will the luster of CC's diminish if they become readily available? No more forbidden fruit thing. What are yall thoughts?
I doubt it. Well kinda. Maybe for some it would diminish. There will always be people (me included) that believe CCs are better than NCs as a whole. Personal preferences could certainly be swayed with more options on the table though!

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Poor form? Dude this is a cigar forum. We talk about cigars and things that would impact the cigar hobby. Just because we think it would increase prices; or question quality issues, is only answering the question posted by the OP. Both interest are not mutually exclusive.
The humanitarian aspect of this is much more bigger than the cigar aspect of it. There is a time and a place to discuss the cigar aspect, like, you know when it actually starts happening.

Just looks really bad being upset over the price of cigars when peoples lives have just been changed forever.

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
what it means is that (whenever it is lifted) that quality will go down the toilet and prices will go through the roof. That will last for quite some time, until the Cubans can get things where they need to be for the new increased demand.
The last time demand sky rocketed, it only lasted a few years before things came back to normal.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ehhh. You say that like the two can't coexist. Poor form would be something like hoping he gets released so the embargo gets lifted so we can get cigars. Discussing the effect of lifting the embargo on that part of the cigar industry on a cigar forum is not poor form.
Respectfully

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Even if the embargo is still technically in place i highly doubt confiscations would be a focus right now. Today's events seriously shift the focus of the overall US strategy towards Cuba, and I doubt after the remarks today that he'll turn around and tell customs to beef up their snatch and grab activities on smokes.

Gives me a little more confidence in clicking that order button.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I wonder will the luster of CC's diminish if they become readily available? No more forbidden fruit thing. What are yall thoughts?
The luster of CCs will only diminish if the quality and flavor of CCs diminish, so in a sense that's true. Availability won't cause CCs to lose their luster, but increased demand causing a decrease in quality could cause that.

Since I buy the majority of my cigars online, CCs are as readily available, and generally speaking even more affordable, than equivalent NCs are. There's really no "forbidden fruit" aspect as such in my mind, CCs just taste better. Not all CCs are better than all NCs, that's absolutely true. But when you're talking about a specific profile of cigar, you can't beat a CC.

The last time demand sky rocketed, it only lasted a few years before things came back to normal.
While true, the legalization of CCs in the USA would open up an unprecedented increase in demand, not just a rise in interest. I would think it's going to be a whole different ballgame than the last time around.