What's new

Relax on Cigar Ban?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The last time demand sky rocketed, it only lasted a few years before things came back to normal.
You mean in the 90s? I think with the "Full" (quotations because it depends on if the embargo is actually lifted or not) demand of the US, this poses a much larger demand. In the 90s it was still illegal to have CCs. PLUS, with the emergence of online sources, I think that if it becomes legal in the US, Cuba will see a much larger boom than that of the 90s.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
It'll be temporary. Just like the boom in the late 90's. It will be a fad for a few years and die out. People should be happy for the Alan Gross, his family, the unnamed intelligence asset, and the cuban spies held by the US that were released. Worrying about the increase in the price of cigars or decrease in quality is really poor form.
Well said. Castro's regime is poison.
Free more political prisoners

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Will definitely increase the counterfeit market too
+100000

short term I see several things happening...

secondary market prices will go apeshit (like they werent bad enough already)

primary market prices will increase substantially (like they werent bad enough already)..

and the globe is going to get flooded with fakes...(like it wasnt bad enough already)....

simple laws of supply and demand...

the demand is about to skyrocket.. people that dont smoke are going to run out and try to buy a box of CC's just because its something they couldnt do before.. everyone is going to want some..

supply will remain largely the same however.. it will take a while for the Cubans to ramp up to be able to respond to the increase in demand.. hopefully they wont sacrifice quality in response (but my guess is some factories/marca's will)..

which means the less than scrupulous types out there will see a HUGE opportunity to fill the void between supply and demand with fakes.. and the people that sell the real deal will see an opportunity to sell everything they have at inflated prices...

Ill likely stick to NC's and smoke through my CC stash for a while until the market settles (a few years down the road)...

The one positive thing that could come of this.. is a huge demand for CC's could push down prices on NC's.. if the NC companies want to stay competitive, they are going to have to find ways to convince people to continue to buy their products rather than go after CC's...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I wish that were true... unfortunately, I bet taxes and increased prices, as well as middle-man costs would easily push prices of legally-imported CCs up to where NCs will remain very competitive without any change to their pricing.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The one positive thing that could come of this.. is a huge demand for CC's could push down prices on NC's.. if the NC companies want to stay competitive, they are going to have to find ways to convince people to continue to buy their products rather than go after CC's...
No doubt NC's will have to drop prices initially. They will not survive unless they do. 50 years of pent up demand for CC's is going to bust the dam when the flood gates are finally opened.

Sure, those who are well informed know NC's have much to offer. And if I were to make a decision with purely my head I'd probably spark up a NC over a CC any day. Better construction, more consistency etc. But deciding what to smoke isn't always a calculated decision. It will be very hard to grab a Padron over a Cohiba or Monte when they're readily available at your local B&M. VERY hard.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Couple of things i just want to point out. ( as a reply to a few members comments)
Cuban tobacco is already exported to other countries. Millions of dollars worth. (and documented in a least a few well writing publications). I have at least one of them sitting next to me. (The Great book of the Habano)
Right now the president can enact a law but it means nothing. You have to have a law pass congress. What this means for the near future? I have no clue but like others will follow along when the news continues to flow out.
There was a panel review here done on the prevalence of plugged Havana cigars (done by over a dozen of this boards Peers in 2013). Over FIVE THOUSAND CUBANS AND NON NCs were smoked and documented. The difference of plugged cuban cigars to all the other worlds production was less than one half of one percent.
Personally Im happy with my collection except for a few staples I tend to smoke a lotof. I've always said that if talks like these emerged. I'd dump out the loose change jar and buy those staples quicker than I normally would in a normal budget year. With 13' being a great year for production. Looks like the change jar is going to be emptied soon. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For cigars worth bringing back, isn't that about 8-10 cigars? At that point, is it even worth the price of the trip?

OTOH, bring your wife and 2 friends, then you can at least bring back 2 boxes worth... Unpackaged.