• Depends on the smoke

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Never

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I do it without thought anymore, as I'm expelling the smoke from my mouth I push some through my sinus as well. I would say nearly every puff. I also purge at least once a third.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have tried but cannot seem to get the hang of it have watched videos and read descriptions but not something I have been able to figure out. Don't wanna hijack the thread but any sure fire advice?
Sadly, it's one of those things that you have to practice. Not every way works for every person, and there are several different ways to retrohale. Full puff of smoke, half puff, last bit of partial puff, first bit of partial puff, partial puff while expelling, etc. Have to find out what works best for you, then practice that.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have tried but cannot seem to get the hang of it have watched videos and read descriptions but not something I have been able to figure out. Don't wanna hijack the thread but any sure fire advice?
Start of slow, first you'll want to release most of the smoke through your mouth(maybe 75%) then breathe in through just your nose without inhaling any smoke then push your tongue up and back and breathe out. Eventually you won't have to do anything with your tongue but it will help you learn how to pull air from your mouth to your nose. As you get more used to it, try more smoke...every cigar will vary by how much smoke you can retrohale, NCs tend to be harder to retrohale because they're generally soo spicy and strong. You'll start to get the feeling of how much and how fast to blow the smoke out of your nose.

Sometimes you'll also need to hold the smoke in your mouth a little bit before retrohaling to let the smoke cool a bit, then you'll want to blow slowly out of your nose. Slowing down how quickly you smoke helps keep the cigar cool so this isn't as much of a problem but sometimes, it's just how the cigar is burning.

It sounds a lot harder than it is, it's like riding a bike...once you get that feeling of how to balance, it becomes second nature. I don't even think about it most of the time.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Start of slow, first you'll want to release most of the smoke through your mouth(maybe 75%) then breathe in through just your nose without inhaling any smoke then push your tongue up and back and breathe out. Eventually you won't have to do anything with your tongue but it will help you learn how to pull air from your mouth to your nose. As you get more used to it, try more smoke...every cigar will vary by how much smoke you can retrohale, NCs tend to be harder to retrohale because they're generally soo spicy and strong. You'll start to get the feeling of how much and how fast to blow the smoke out of your nose.

Sometimes you'll also need to hold the smoke in your mouth a little bit before retrohaling to let the smoke cool a bit, then you'll want to blow slowly out of your nose. Slowing down how quickly you smoke helps keep the cigar cool so this isn't as much of a problem but sometimes, it's just how the cigar is burning.

It sounds a lot harder than it is, it's like riding a bike...once you get that feeling of how to balance, it becomes second nature. I don't even think about it most of the time.
Thank you
I will try this tomorrow when I light my first cigar of the day. Or if able to later this evening although that is not looking like it will happen.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Even every few draws can be overpowering but certainly you have to do it to appreciate the full flavor profile of a cigar.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Tried to retro once, but was on a Tat Fausto. Did not fare well with my nostrils. haha. Since then I've been a bit gun-shy...

JDB

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!!! I need to practice this, I've watched videos but they haven't helped or been this detailed!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I do on almost every puff, but not the WHOLE puff, if that makes sense. I expel most of the smoke slowly from my mouth, then blow the rest slowly through my nose.
Ditto. Since I started doing that, new worlds of flavor opened up!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retrohale is something I always do. For me depends on what I am smoking as to how often I will do it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being new to this I retro at least once on every cigar. Some are much easier to take than others. I did almost die the first time I did it, lol.

FuenteSmoker

Il n'y a pas de fumée san
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Started retro haling a few months ago, now I do it about 45% -65% of the gar depending. I used to enhale a lot now almost never.. Really changed smoking for me!! So many new flavor's and a disgusting nose blows afterwards...lol

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's taken me a lot of practice, but I finally have retrohaling down! I do it about 90% of the time

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a couple times and just don't like the way it feels. So I don't retrohale and I accept that Maybe I miss some Flavors by not doing so but I have enjoyed many great cigars over the years before i ever heard of retrohaling so I'll continue to go that route.

Plus, I have concerns about the fallout. We all recognize the health risks that come with smoking cigars but I like minimizing those risks as much as possible (Not smoking daily, etc...) and though I have no data to support my belief, but my gut tells me retrohaling increases those risks over pure mouth smoking (I could be way off here).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
For me, It's done on every single draw. It's actually always come natural to me and never messes up the sinuses. Thankful for that since I get so many more flavors. It's weird because my dad tries to retro even the tiniest bit from a mild smoke and his eyes almost water each time. Funny how different some peoples senses are.