What's new

Retrohaling...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Retrohaling is one of those things that some cigar smokers insist on as a "must do"... Personally, I very rarely retrohale when I am smoking for relaxation or pleasure.

There is basically only four times I do so:
1) When sampling individual tabaquiados - crude cigars crafted of a single leaf.
2) When initially blending a liga.
3) When serving as a catador in quality control.
4) When I first try any new brand/blend.

I find for myself that retrohaling too frequently greatly dulls my senses of smell and taste, so I reserve the use of doing so for times where I consider it as necessary to my craft.

All that being said, I do not believe it is right or wrong to do so. If the process enhances your joy of smoking, then do so, if not, then don't...

BR,

STS
1. I had to look up catador.
2. I don't retrohale and it might be because I've never done any of those four things. Or it could be I'm lazy and don't know how to. :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Catador" is a word with many translations, but within a cigar factory it is a term often used to describe a "professional cigar taster."

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Something I do occasionally unless I know a cigar has a special quality. If you try a my father oro de Nicaragua toro, you'll find it very pepper spicy, but has an amazing floral retrohale you'd never expect.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Retrohaling is one of those things that some cigar smokers insist on as a "must do"... Personally, I very rarely retrohale when I am smoking for relaxation or pleasure.

There is basically only four times I do so:
1) When sampling individual tabaquiados - crude cigars crafted of a single leaf.
2) When initially blending a liga.
3) When serving as a catador in quality control.
4) When I first try any new brand/blend.

I find for myself that retrohaling too frequently greatly dulls my senses of smell and taste, so I reserve the use of doing so for times where I consider it as necessary to my craft.

All that being said, I do not believe it is right or wrong to do so. If the process enhances your joy of smoking, then do so, if not, then don't...

BR,

STS
I wonder if adamant proponents of retrohaling are actually folks who have fried their olfactory nerves by retrohaling too much. As a result, they can't taste a cigar without doing so and insist everyone must do it also.

I will stick to my method. I've retrohaled a handful of times and didn't care for the practice. I can experience plenty of flavors and detect nuances without retrohaling and enjoy cigars immensely as is. I couldn't care less if some people refuse to consider me a "true cigar smoker" because smoke doesn't come out of my nose.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Something I do occasionally unless I know a cigar has a special quality. If you try a my father oro de Nicaragua toro, you'll find it very pepper spicy, but has an amazing floral retrohale you'd never expect.
You're so fancy Bob.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wonder if adamant proponents of retrohaling are actually folks who have fried their olfactory nerves by retrohaling too much. As a result, they can't taste a cigar without doing so and insist everyone must do it also.

I will stick to my method. I've retrohaled a handful of times and didn't care for the practice. I can experience plenty of flavors and detect nuances without retrohaling and enjoy cigars immensely as is. I couldn't care less if some people refuse to consider me a "true cigar smoker" because smoke doesn't come out of my nose.
Such a renegade!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've created a bit of a problem for myself... I'm hoping someone here can help me. This is my story;

1. I had a terrible accident in 2005 in which I lost my Smell ! Yes that's right... I cannot smell a single thing... Sucks !
2. I use to smoke cigars regularly and enjoyed very much.
3. I've now had to retrain myself in all ways of tasting food or smoking cigars.
4. I have created a problem with over retrohaling and have deadened ALL the remaining abilities to taste cigars.

My question is ... Does anyone know if my sense of taste from retrohaling will ever return so I can enjoy smoking cigars again?
Are my sinus problems permanent or temporary?
If so how long will I have to wait until I can enjoy the cigars again?

It is so frustrating as I only get a fraction of the experience of others so I hope you can help me with any information that may bring my taste back.

Thanks much... Carlton

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do it either. Passing a hit of cigar smoke directly through my sinuses is not pleasant for me. The small amount that comes through during normal smoking is enough for me.

I've never smoked cigarettes though (rarely, that is). Perhaps it comes more naturally to those who do.

I will say that, the few times I've tried it, it greatly increased the nicotine high for me.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
I would have to also suggest you ask your doctor. It really could be less of the retro and more of allergies or sinus issues.

I would suggest this caveat: don't tell your doc you want to enjoy your sticks more, unless he's a partaker, that is, they might automatically assume it's your smoking. Let them try to determine if you have allergies or a recurring infection before they pass you off.

Also, while I retro at least half the time, I would say if you have something going on its only gonna dry your sinuses more.

On that note I will also suggest you pick up a saline spray, you could just need some serious moisture up there, besides, it can't hurt.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retrohale very differently than what's been described above. I guess I can summarize it as follows:
1 take a fairly deep breath
2 take a good puff of the cigar
3 start exhaling through my mouth normally
4 during exhale, slightly purse lips so that air is exiting through both my nose and mouth.

I find this to be much gentler than the method mentioned earlier in this thread. I also am quite happy with the results. Ymmv