What's new

Review Contest Cigar 2!!!!!!

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Well, I haven't had too much luck with contests lately. Lost a Cowboys bet. lost the FF league, lost the SB Squares, etc. I figure I never have these problems with my sticks so I'm still well off.

Plus, this is one of my favorite sticks, so I know what it's supposed to do.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Appearance: 10/15
Not a fan of the cello, but that goes for all cigars. Once it is removed, the cigar looked great. Nice cap, great brown wrapper which had a little silky look to it.

Ash: 10/10
The ash was nice and study throughout the smoke. Its color had more of a white tint than grey to it. There were no flakes in branching off which made it look nice the whole time I smoked it/.

Burn: 9/10
Razor sharp, need I say more. The only time I it needed some help was once I tapped the ash off. Other than that it burned great.

Draw: 10/10
The draw was perfect, just slightly deliberate allowing me to get a great amount of smoke in each puff, but not overwhelming when it was not being drawn.

Smoke: 10/10
The smoke in this cigar was amazing. Every puff I took gave me a mouthful of smoke. Once again I could care less about the color of the smoke and I can’t smell the cigar I’m smoking. I really wish I could since I would probably be able to pick up more flavors.

Flavor: 18/20
I really enjoyed this cigar. The flavors seem to go well with each other. Some of the key taste I extracted was coffee. The whole time I was smoking it I felt like I was drinking a cup of Joe. There were also hints of nuts which stayed this way throughout the smoke.

Uniqueness: 7/10
For me, this was a great smoke. I loved the flavors and really thought everything went well together. I’m not sure how unique it was, but having all the attributes I like in a cigar makes it unique to me. I would definitely recommend this smoke.

Finish: 14/15
The finish to the cigar was good. It did not stay with me long and was not there in the morning like some cigars are. It left a nice flavor in the mouth that gradually went away as I start working around the house.

Overall Score: 88
This was a good cigar. I would definitely recommend it if you like medium bodies smoke.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Just gettin' over a bad cold that kept me down for a few days. Smoked mine last night. Hope to get my review up sometime on Friday.....

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Appearance: 13/15
a few small veins on the otherwise beautiful wrapper. With a nice shade of brown and a triple cap, just looking at this cigar had my mouth watering.

Draw: 10/10
This couldn’t have been better, not a wind tunnel, but no extra work needed to get a mouth full of smoke.

Ash: 10/10
Powerhouse of an ash. If this stick were longer I could have smoked it vertically for a long ash contest. As it was, I only ashed twice, and then nubbed it. Very nice white color to it and again very sturdy.

Burn: 10/10
Well I don’t want too plagiarize, so the burn was sharp like a razor. All kidding aside, the burn line did not stray once. I never even thought about grabbing my lighter for a touch up.

Smoke: 10/10
Does it get better than a full blast of smoke on every draw? Full white clouds of smoke drifted out of the gazebo for at least an hour and a half and I loved every minute of it. ( My recognizes the review contest cigars as a time I get all to myself, while everyday cigars are to be put down at a moments notice)

Flavor: 19/20
I got a big leather taste for the first half inch or so. That quickly gave way to a nutty coffe flavor. There was a certain twang that could be noticed from start to finish. Man this puppy was smooth from beginning to end. And I didn’t stop smoking this one until it was tooo hot to put my lips on.

Uniqueness: 8/10
As you can see so far I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar. I’m still a little unclear as to how to rate uniqueness, but I’ll do my best. Compared to what I normally smoke this was very tasty and easy going. The twangy flavor, and smoothness of the smoke was great. It had my mouth watering from first sight until the nub. I would say I’ve only had 4-5 different smokes that I were this good, so I’m giving this an 8.

Finish: 13/15
This cigar lasted a little longer on my tongue that I would have liked, but then again I was smoking a half inch nub at the end, so I am attributing the after flavor to that. The after flavor in this case though was very pleasant, almost relaxing. To know I had just gotten an hour and a half alone and enjoyed a great cigar really finished this off right.

Overall Score: 93

Now tell me what it is so I can put it on my long list of things to buy.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Having been down with a bug for several days, this was my first cigar for almost a week. So, I can’t vouch for my palate (not that it is excessively refined at the best of times.)

Opening the door of my humidor and reaching in for the next cigar in the series, I pulle out the stick marked “#2”.

Sporting a deep rich reddish brown wrapper with fine veins this very nice looking 5”X50 Robust looked, for all the world, almost perfect. I was looking forward to the experience about to unfold as I inspected the cigar for patches or blemishes. I found nothing untoward and reached for my Xikar Xi cutter.

After clipping the head, I gave a pre-light draw and was rewarded with a rich, sweet, tobacco smell with a strong barnyard smell to the foot and clipped head and a very similar sweet tobacco flavor on the draw. After slowly toasting the foot with a table torch lighter I began to draw smoke through this beauty. I was pleased to find that the draw was pretty free with barely any resistance. Perfect. As the cigar began to burn and the foot became fully lit, I was greeted with a mouthful of thick sweet smoke that hung thick and pale blue after release into the room. I was left with a light spice bite on the tongue.

During the first third the spice built to almost a black pepper sensation. The burn was pretty even as the mascara progressed down the cigar. There was an underlying sweetness to the flavor, although I couldn’t quite place it. The ash was medium grey and pretty uniform but it seemed very fragile and fell off after only about ¾ “. I was rather surprised that there was no real discernable flavor since the pre-light draw and the wrapper lead me to think I was in for a flavor burst.

As I approached the middle third, there was little change in the flavor except for a slight building in the spice. The burn stayed even and the ash stayed fragile. Heading out of this section of the cigar a woody component began to be noticeable.

Passing into the last third of this cigar held no major change, but he spice had built into a pretty substantial bite. Not at all unpleasant but not the broad spice that I’d noticed in smoke up until now. I would have to describe this as almost a chili spice. If this was a coffee, I’d say that it was very “bright”.

About 1 ½ “ from left and the cigar told me it was done. A bitterness began to creep into the profile and the woody flavor was hidden. Not bad for about 60 minutes of smoking.

Scoring

1. Appearance - 13/15
2. Ash - 5/10
3. Draw - 9/10
4. Burn - 8/10
5. Smoke - 8/10
6. Flavor/Blend - 13/20
7. Uniquness - 5/10
8. Finish - 12/15

Total - 74/100