What's new

Review Contest Cigar 2!!!!!!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Finally got around to smoking this one. Sorry for the delay!

This cigar is one of my favorite vitollas. Robusto. Nice dark wrapper, good oily sheen. Wrapper was well made and has a triple cap. Very smooth looking wrapper with only one small vein.

Pre-light inspection scents of a light espresso, spiciness and a earthiness to it. Also slight hints of hay, as well as a nutty vanilla on the tongue. The spice was a nice flavor on this blend. I noted the pre-light draw was exceptional with just the right amount of restriction.

After toasting this cigar, it lit very well. Easily to light and no initial burn problems. The spice, espresso, nut and cedar were immediately recognizable and enjoyable. The sweetness went away after the first 1/2 inch and was replaced by more spice, which I love. There was a creaminess to this cigar at times, which made this blend taste wonderful

This cigar remained unchanged throughout the first and second third. Spice was the taste of the day. The blend was very good and had no sourness or sweetness to it. The burn was exceptional and I never had to touch up the cigar. This cigar produced a great blue grey smoke, which several of my co-workers loved.

The final third picked up the pace a bit. The nut and cedar tasted were gone, but the spiciness remained, as did a stronger flavor of Espresso and leather. This blend was complex and kept me wanting more. The burn remained awesome and the ash was flakey and held tight each time, until I ashed the cigar. One small crack near the crown, which may have been caused by me, was the only issue with the wrapper.

To me the finish was good. I felt with this blend, the finish could have been a bit better though. No foul nicotine tastes or the sourness of some cigars. It was good from start to finish with no burn or draw issues. I felt the overall construction of this cigar was excellent. The only complaint that I had is I wished this cigar had a little more spice to it. It was a medium bodied cigar that would have benefited from more of the "twang" spice brings to the blend. Overall this was a good smoke, but not a great one! I would definitely buy more of these (once I find out what it was).

As for my rating:

Appearance- 14/15

Draw- 10/10

Burn- 10/10

Ash- 8/10

Smoke- 9/10

Flavor- 17/20

Uniqueness- 8/10

Finish- 13/15

Total=89

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Guess you didn't like that one so much, but good review!
In all fairness, I did just come off of a week with sinus problems. And... I tend to be a bit reserved when it comes to heaping praise....

I wouldn't say I didn't like it... I just wasn't WOWed by it. I'd gladly smoke another.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Guys, I just finished the cigar. It's been a bear of a couple of weeks. Review first thing in the AM....

OK, I'm the first official screwup in the review contest....

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Garvey garvey garvey! :shame: Well, should we give him to the AM guys? Im gonna say yes because Ive been on the road for 5 hours today, and I have my review ready, but... Id like for everyone to be able to continue. Garvey I need this up by 10am, and then mine is going up. If anyone has a problem...PM me. If its not up by 10 then... well we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Cheers all! Prepare for a shocker tomorrow!:halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A shocker, eh? I don't particularly expect to be surprised...so if I am, I'll be super-ultra-mega-surprised.

Waiting a bit longer doesn't bother me. I've got a day full of teaching and professional development, so it will be nice to have something to look forward to at the end of it.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
After a long, tough week I was looking forward to this cigar. I went with my wife to our friend's restaurant and joined him in his private room for drinks, dinner, and a cigar. Here are my thoughts -- and I was in a mental space where I knew I was going to be critical....

PRELIGHT
A beautiful looking cigar. The consistent, rich coloration and oily leaf offered an encouraging beginning. I love the prelight routine -- taking in the smell of a rich, aromatic tobacco was great preparation for the smoking experience!

I used my Palio cutter to clip the cigar cap -- I wanted to ensure that I avoided any chance of tar buildup like may have happened with my first review. I took a pre-light draw and the initial flavors were as pleasant as the smell! Once again, high expectations....

THE LIGHT
I toasted the cigar and the light was effortless. And the first draw of smoke was awesome -- full, flavorful, and no hint of harshness. The smoke was spicy and reminded me of some of the best smokes I have shared with friends over the 8 months of my cigar smoking life!

THE FIRST THIRD
The first third of the cigar was superb! The burn was crisp, produced a solid white ash, and showed no sign of difficulty. The flavor profile was intriguing -- still a strong spicy taste with a woodsy (is that a word?) complement that I really liked. I enjoyed the medium/fuller taste and the smooth smoke it produced.

THE SECOND THIRD
To steal a lyric from a kid song, "first verse, same as the first!" The experience was consistent, something I've seldom experienced in my limited time as a cigar smoker. I've grown accustomed to a changing flavor profile, and I must admit I enjoyed the consistency. I also liked that I didn't even think about the burn -- still producing a slow, consistent, and flawless burn -- and the solid white ash remained. I could sit back and enjoy the smoke and the conversation with my friends!

THE FINAL THIRD
Close strong and leave an impression -- and this cigar did just that. The spice was still present, but the flavor and strength became even more pleasurable. I closed it out with a half inch left, and was a little disappointed that it had to end.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Unlike our first cigar which I felt was schizophrenic, this cigar was absolutely solid. What I really respected from this cigar was the consistency through the end -- flavor, burn, and ash. I could easily see myself having these on hand on a regular basis.

Appearance- 14/15

Draw- 10/10 Effortless

Burn- 10/10 Never had to deal with it

Ash- 8/10 darn good. Solid throughout, only dropped once when I wasn't expecting it

Smoke- 9/10 Full!!!!!

Flavor- 18/20

Uniqueness- 9/10

Finish- 14/15

Total=92

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Alright guys. I know this probably isn’t much of a surprise since I left the cello on it… doh… but without further ado I’d like to reveal our contest’s second stogie. I present to you gentlemen the Don Pepin Garcia El Centurion Guerreros.

I had eagerly been awaiting to try these cigars as this was actually my first one, and I had never been able to make myself fork over the money for them in the past. I figured it would be a great smoke to see how well you guys know your DPG’s, and I think most of you were right on. However, I can’t help but wonder if I had de-celloed them if it would have made a difference. Anyway… This cigar was absolutely beautiful. It had a near flawless shiny, veiny wrapper with a carefully placed triple cap and an attractive band presentation. It had a great pre-light aroma of fresh tobacco with absolutely no hints of nitrogenous waste seeping from boundaries. As I began smoking the cigar I noticed a nice earthy core flavor that soon evolved to take on more of a sweet woody character that I would describe as tannic. The ash was a light grey color and the ash itself was as sturdy as a concrete pillar. The draw was smooth and flawless throughout and the smoke was nice and thick as the humidity in the air kept the smoke hovering around me like an eerie fog.

This is where the story begins to change from good to not so much. At about the halfway point in the cigar it went out on me almost instantaneously, and naturally I re-lit and purged it. Upon my first puff thereafter my mouth was filled with the taste of a thousand dead corpses… okay, well maybe I’m exaggerating a little but it got very bitter and the ammonia began to creep out. I kept smoking thinking that after a few puffs it would get better, and then it as hopefully after a centimeter it will get better… but no, it just got worse. Soon, there wasn’t much else to do but step on the damn thing to put it out of its misery and try to somehow pick up the pieces left in my life and put them back together. The cigar didn’t burn very well from that midpoint either and I found myself touching it up often whilst it lasted. As far as uniqueness goes, well you do the math, in my opinion though putridity is not a character upon which to base ones experience with a cigar.

So, unfortunately fellas I found this cigar to be quite a disappointment as far as DPG’s go, but I’m not going to give up on it just yet. You all obviously liked the ones you smoked, and it seems clear to me that I must have picked the runt of the litter. Cheers Guys!

Appearance- 15/15
Ash- 9/10
Draw-10/10
Burn- 7/10
Flavor/Blend- 10/20
Uniqueness- 5/10
Smoke- 10/10
Finish- 7/15

Total 73/100

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
LOL>.. It is probably his worst cigar in that line! Needs more age and a little tweak in the blend, as it does not have the typical Nic Twang!! Thanks Benzo.