What's new

Review Contest Cigar 3!!!!!!

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Things just won't go right for me. I haven't had a voice all week long, so I've been coughing and all that stuff. I'm not sure I got a complete picture of this cigar, but I'll post what I think:

A nice, smooth looking Lonsdale/Long Corona cigar. The wrapper leaf looked a little loose and ended up unraveling on the cut, so I left the band on. There was one large vein that went down the the top half of this medium brown cigar. It was a pretty good looking cigar on first appearance.

At the cut, with my Xikar Xi2, it did unravel the wrapper to the band, but I licked the crap out of it to get it to stay, and didn't have a problem with it the rest of the way. At first taste I got and smooth creaminess that seemed to want to be more than it was. That may have been due to a 3/4" by 1/2" swath of wrapper leave missing from the foot. Either way, I enjoyed it, but it needed just a tiny bit more. The draw was good, though maybe a little tighter than I like, and I think I know why. I received a mouthful of nice white smoke on every draw. Several times during the hour and forty-five minute I smoked this cigar I was drawn in watching the smoke rolling up and off the cigar. It was like one of those paintings you see of the crisp, clean smoke.

As I got into the cigar, the creaminess stayed, some light grassiness came in and I got a light spice at the back of the tongue. I found out later in the night that no cigar gave me any spice so I'm guessing there was alot more spiciness to this cigar than I actually tasted. It produced a nice white exterior ash, with a dirk black center ash, indicative of a Tatuaje, or something more hard to come by. At a little over 1" it ashed, and went to about 1 1/2" every other time it ashed.

The flavor on the cigar stayed pretty much the same all the way through. At the half way point the creaminess died down and the grassiness picked up, but that was about all th change. Due to the split at the head I could not finish the unraveling cigar once I took off the numbered band. I put it down at 1 2/3-3/4". It was a pretty good cigar, but I don't feel I got everything out of it that I should have.

Ratings:

Appearance: 12/15
Ash: 9/10
Draw: 9/10
Burn: 10/10
Smoke: 9/10
Flav/Blend: 17/20
Uniq: 7/10
Finish: 12/15

Total: 85/100

Again, this is probably a little lower than this cigar should be since the last 3 categories were affected by either the cut or my crappy taster.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
David, I too felt a little woozy from the cigar, but I thought it was from being tired and coughing all night. Maybe it wasn't.

Very funny Rich.

Andrew, Lanceros/Lonsdales/Long Coronas don't usually hold ash much more than an inch or two, but I know how frustrating it is to have to relight every time it ashes!

If I do the math (color of the ash, unchanging flavor, size of the cigar, slightly tight draw), this might not be an easy to obtain cigar. I could be wrong, though.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Sorry for the delay gents.

$3 looked like a nice stick before I picked it up. I craftsmanship in the roll and cap were a nice sight. The cap cut like a dream and the dry pull had a nice earthy taste.

Appearance: 15/15

After pouring a nice glass of port and some cedar strips I used for lighting up, I went to work. #3 lit up quite nicely. The burn was nice and consistent though the ash had difficulties keeping it's grip and dropped off every inch or so. But the draw was as nice as I had hoped it would be with plenty of thick smoke to enjoy.

Ash: 5/10
Burn: 8/10
Draw: 9/10
Smoke: 10/10

As for flavor, very nice from the start with tastes of wood and earth. Though the wood may have been from the lighting materials. Who knows, I only say that because to woodsy taste faded as I smoked. It picked up a little strength at about 2/3 but still provided a nice balance.

Flavor: 16/20

#3 would be a welcome addition to my humi. Though finding it more of a recreational cigar. Thinking it would be somewhere around the $4-$5 range. A very nice looking cigar that's for sure.

Uniqueness: 7/10

Ran this stick down to about 1.5 inches and cashed out. Had a nice buzz from the Port and a good taste on the pallet. And I lived happily ever after.

SORRY, I SAID I WAS BUZZED.
Finish: 14/15
The End

Total Score: 84/100
Sorry Gents. I said I was Buzzed.:bottle:

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Sorry for the late post guys. I'd smoked this the other night, but getting the review written was another story altogether...

After the past couple of reviews, I was beginning to think I’d lost my palate (what little I have) or give everyone the impression that I really don’t enjoy cigars!!!! I was really looking forward to this smoke. I’d looked at it a few days ago and was pleased to note that the one on deck was one of my favorite sizes 44 X 6 ¼:.

So when I sat down the other night, it was with a bit more anticipation than usual. I’d had a pretty busy week and a stressful day so the thought of concentrating on my cigar and forgetting the world sounded like just what the doctor ordered.

So I grabbed a glass of water, went into the man cave, opened the humidor and pulled out the next cigar in line. The wrapper was a nice chocolate brown with very fine veins. It was very uniform in color with no flaws or patches. Feeling along the length of it, I found no soft areas or lumps and was pleased to find that it seemed well packed with tobacco without any indication of possible burn problems.

The wrapper gave off a rich sweet tobacco aroma but I got very little from the foot. Pulling out the trusty Xikar Xi cutter and clipping the head, I was greeted with a very mild spice on the tongue. Now we were approaching the real test; the initial draw. I’d built up quite a bit of curiosity about what was ahead of me by this point and the initial draw just increased that, it was very smooth with perfect amount of draw. The flavors were very pleasant, mainly sweet tobacco but there was another component that seemed almost fruity.

First 3rd

The first draw after lighting was complex right off the bat. A slight spice with what seemed to be reminiscent of a familiar twang. About ½” into the cigar, a leather taste began to develop. The ash seemed to be very solid and burned into a uniform light grey. About an inch into the cigar a deep rich, almost dark fruit flavor appeared, maybe the leather developing further. The flavor evened out through the rest of this section and I lost the spice flavor. Throughout this section I found a molasses or caramel flavor fading in and out in the background. One thing that I noticed was that I didn’t taste ANY Connecticut Broadleaf. I filed this in the back of my mind for when I tried to figure out what this cigar was.

Middle 3rd

Not a lot of changes as I entered the middle third of this smoke. But then, I was enjoying the cigar enough that I didn’t care. The burn was even from the beginning and continued that way. The ash held for a little over an inch and a half before I tapped it off, leaving a nice even burn line behind. Lead me to think that there wasn’t any ligero in this smoke although the lack of spice told me that as well. I’d been retrohaling throughout the whole smoke and had no burning or harshness. As I smoked further into the middle I started to pick up a mild spiciness again. Almost a white pepper but definitely not harsh or overbearing. As I approached the last third, I noticed a bit of a nicotine buzz. Not at all unpleasant, but it came as a complete surprise since I’d settled on Medium to Medium full for this cigar and I’d had no indication that it had any real “kick”

Last 3rd

Burning into the home stretch I found that the spice built up only slightly and the flavor seemed to become only a bit more intense versions of the same flavors. About 2” from the end, the cigar told me that it was done and I reluctantly set it down for the last time. I had enjoyed it for 80 minutes and still wanted more.

All in all I really enjoyed this cigar. It wasn’t a kaleidoscope of flavors, but the ones that were there were pleasant and interesting. I hadn’t tasted a cigar like that in a while and I’m interested in what it might be. I’d certainly buy these and by a box if possible.

Scoring

1. Appearance - 15/15
2. Ash - 9/10
3. Draw - 10/10
4. Burn - 9/10
5. Smoke - 9/10
6. Flavor/Blend - 19/20
7. Uniquness - 8/10
8. Finish - 14/15

Total - 93/100

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Good all the reviews are in. Look for my post to follow as soon as I get off of work. But just to be nice Ill go ahead and let you all know what cigar it was!!!!

I present to you the Tatuaje Havanas Cazadores:ballbounc

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Tatuaje Havana Cazadores

This cigar has been one of my favorite tats for quite a while, so I figured I’d bust some out for this review contest to show you all how good they really are. The cigar had a nice smooth natural wrapper with a nice vein running down the spine of the cigar like a railway track as seen from the clouds running through the Chinese countryside. It had a nice triple cap and a good tobacco pre-light aroma. The ash was smooth and sturdy with a nice white burn. The draw was quite loose at first that went unexplained until I ashed the cigar, when much to my chagrin, I could see there was a big ole draw test hole going right through the middle of my cigar. At about the halfway point the draw became more deliberate and the cigar all the much more enjoyable from the draw aspect.

The burn of the cigar was relatively even until I got to the end where it decided to lag on one side a little, but it wasn’t a major issue. This was in my opinion a medium bodied smoke, which differed a lot from the last one I had smoked. It had a woody core that was very consistent and pretty enjoyable, but left little room in terms of uniqueness. There were some hints of spice throughout, but not a whole lot else as far as flavor is concerned. The smoke was a little light, almost definitely because of the draw, but even when the draw improved the quantity of smoke did not. It finished the way it began and I let it go out a little early, because quite frankly I was a little bored by it.

All in all, this wasn’t a bad cigar, but certainly not the earthy powerhouse I remember the cigar being the first few times I smoked it. I really hope I got a dud, as I was hoping to make this cigar one of my regulars!

A-13/15
A-8/10
D-8/10
B-9/10
FB-14/20
U- 4/10
S-8/10
F-10/15

T-74/100