What's new

Review Contest deux Cigar 1!!!!!!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Alright guys here we go.

Cigar Review Contest Guidelines

So everyone has been sent six cigars labeled 1-6. The numbers corespond with the following smoking dates:
1= May whenever you get em- May 31
2= June 1- June 15
3= June 15-June 30
4= July 1-July 15
5= July 15-July 31
6= Aug 1-Aug 15

So I will start a thread called Review contest deux cigar 1 (or 2 or 3 etc) on the first day of smoking eligability, and sometime during these two weeks you all will smoke and rate the selected cigar. When all of the ratings have been submited or the final day of the period has ended I will then post my review revealing what cigar we all just smoked. Please do not guess the cigar we are smoking as some of you may know, and others may not! Here are the review guidlines that must be followed for rating each cigar.

1. Appearance- How does the cigar smell before its smoked/ How does the cigar look to you? How is the texture? the color? the shape? its appeal? any damages? or patches? etc etc (Points 15)

2. Ash- is it sturdy? color? texture? demonstative of good construction? (Points 10)

3. Draw- how is the draw? tight? loose? draws can change throughout the cigar. (Points 10)

4. Burn- Does the cigar burn even the whole smoke? Semi-even? One side have problems? How many times did it need to be re-lit because it went out on you? (Points 10)

5. Smoke- Is the smoke scant or thick? is it aromatic? is it visually pleasing? Is it representative of the draw? (Points 10)

6. Flavor/Blend- What do you taste? Look for a core flavor, and then find the hints about it. Does it change at the half? does it change every third? are the first two puffs incredible followed by a total let down. This is where you can develope your palate! (Points 20)

7. Uniqueness- how unique was this cigar compared to others you have smoked? Was the profile different? How so? Newer smokers will usually have higher scores in this section because they havent smoked as many cigars, but maybe you will be tremendously surprised by my selections. (Points 10)

8. Finish- How did the cigar end? This is so important because if it doesnt leave you relaxed or it begins to become really hot or bitter then that can ruin a smoke. Did it leave you feeling like you were in a different place? Was it smooth? Did you smoke the whole cigar or leave half of it? (Points 15)

So these are the rating guidelines you all are to follow for rating the cigars on a 100 pont scale. Anything else you want to add is what will set apart the winner of ths competition. Ex: history or the cigar, photos, beautiful writing... etc. Even if you hate the cigar you can still win the competition, because its about the best review, and not who rated the cigars the highest. The rating is a formality, but the review is the meat of it. Please again! Do not guess the cigar before Ive posted the review revealing what it is.
At the end of 3 months, I will post poll for the entire board, and everyone will vote for who they thought had the best review out of all 10 of you. Whoever gets the most votes wins the 6 pack of each of the cigars still banded. (there are 2 winners in the second review contest) I ask that you dont vote for yourself, and that you vote for someone else, but obviously I cant monitor that, so Ill jut have to trust you all on it! Ill remind you all again when the time comes.

Another addition... I will not be sending out personal reminders in this review contest. This is your responsibility to keep up with, and I will keep up my end of the bargain. Please try to get your review posted soon after you smoke the cigar and try not to wait until the very last day as it becomes rushed and its not nearly as much fun that way. That being said I know we are all busy people, but we can also always find a little time to smoke a good stogie. If you miss a review you will not be included in the final vote for the winnings. Alright guys...Its all fun from here on out. I will post pictures of the cigars tonight so that you all know which cigars should be smoked when. My bad for being the loser with no blank bands. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck and I look forward to reading you all's reviews! Cheers!

Oh this is the thread for cigar 1 as well!!!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
1. Appearance - The cigar appears very well constructed. Nice cap & flat head suggest Cuban origin, smell also points in that direction. Size is a double corona, pushing a 109 vitola. Some water spots, but very minimal.

2. Ash - Flaky and doesn't have a substantial girth to it. Mottled grey & silver.

3. Draw - Considering the size, draw was easy. A little effort for the 1st inch or so, but opened up nicely.

4. Burn - Decent burn with about 85% of the circumference even burn.

5. Smoke - Ample smoke and nice aroma

6. Flavor/Blend - Uneven blend. Ligero was too punchy and overwhelmed the cigar. I could tell that there was something under the ligero but all I could pull out was a little starch in the first half and earthy tones on the last half, almost woody.

1st. half was very one dimensional and the subtle change in the 2nd half was negligible, would consider it not complex, but not one dimensional either.

7. Uniqueness - Slightly above average

8. Finish - Long finish and was probably the finest part of the cigar.

Solid 88

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Well, this was the first cigar I've had in about 2 weeks. I've been a bit busy with things and when I have had time, the weather hasn't cooperated with me. My wife took part in commencement exercises for earning her doctoral degree in audiology, so I thought this would be a good reason to fire one up last night. So here goes with my review.

Appearance: The wrapper on this double corona (pretty sure it's a DC) was a medium, nutty brown with hints of green in it and it had a somewhat mottled appearance. It had some large veins and an uneven surface. There was a neatly finished triple cap on the head and the foot had an odd hole on one side, like there might be a flaw in the roll. This did not affect the burn at all however.
12/15

Ash: The ash looked nice and well constructed, but it was prone to falling off at inopportune times. It also was a bit lopsided.
8/10

Draw: The prelight draw was a bit firm. It was ok during the first third of the cigar, but after that it opened up nicely to give a very nice body of smoke.
9/10

Burn: The burn was pretty good at the beginning, slightly crooked but nothing too bad. As the cigar moved along, the burn got better and better. I didn’t have to touch the cigar up at all. This was surprising to me based on the appearance of the cigar.
10/10

Smoke: Initially there was a nice amount of smoke but nothing remarkable. Some large cigars don’t seem to give enough smoke. Maybe it’s because we subconsciously think that a big cigar should deliver massive amounts of smoke. But that’s not always the case. At about the 1/3 mark it really started to open up and for the remainder of the cigar it gave a very nice body of smoke.
9/10

Flavor/Blend: The cigar started out with a mild to medium body with some floral notes. As it warmed up, some sweet and beany flavors came out. Around the halfway point I noticed some hints of ginger that went away after awhile. But all through the cigar the same floral and sweet flavors came through. It also built in intensity and became more medium in strength. This was a very pleasing cigar to the pallet that should be early in your smoking day. Smoking a stronger cigar first would probably make it hard to pick out the flavors.
17/20

Uniqueness: I have a guess as to what this cigar is, but of course I won’t give my guess. However it is relevant to this section. If I am correct with my assumption, this particular brand has a very distinctive flavor profile which, imho, this cigar fits. So I would say this is a very unique cigar.
10/10

Finish: After each puff, I noted a fairly long finish. It was mostly pleasing but a little on the dry side. I guess you could say it was a bit salty as I found myself looking for water at times. I didn’t notice the dryness initially, only on the finish of the cigar. Other than that dryness, the finish was long and pleasing. The floral flavors lingered for quite awhile.
13/15

Overall, this was a pleasing and well balanced cigar. The wrapper appearance was quite rough looking but did not detract from the smoking experience. My initial concerns that there might be some burn problems due to the appearance of the foot were of no concern once I started smoking the cigar. The burn got better as it went along, as did the flavors that were present. The finish was long but a bit dry for my liking. I would rate this cigar a solid 88.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
OK, here is my review of this big, bad boy. 7 1/2 inches by 50. Nice medium natural colored cigar with nice small veins running the length of the cigar. Cap appeared to be well made. The were two slight defects in the wrapper, neither of which took away from the overall appearance. Hints of medium coffee, light cocoa and nutmeg came off this cigar. At first thought, this cigar appeared to be on the mild flavor side.

After cutting the cap with my Palio cutter, pre-light taste of coffee, cocoa and cedar jumped off. Definitely no spice was apparent. The pre-light draw was good with a very slight restriction. After toasting this cigar, smoke immediately filled the air. Mild flavor was the taste of the day, still having the coffee, cocoa and cedar. As I was smoking this one in the first third, I noticed a definite uneven burn issue. After a quick touch up, the burn issue remained present. The ash was extremely mottled grey with some flakiness.

The burn issue remained present in the second third, as did the mild flavor. I kept touching the burn up, but the smoke still continued to remain full. The flavor was mild and nothing to write home about, at least to me. Just seemed like a cigar that one might smoke while doing the yard.

The final third kept up with the dark grey, mottle ash, as well as the burn issue. The flavor remained as it was in the first two thirds, although more nicotine became present. Still good smoke and a decent finish were present on this cigar.

Overall, this cigar was just ok. Nothing great, but not crappy either. Aside from the burn issue and the mild flavor, this cigar seemed well made. Possibly with more age, this cigar might gain more flavor or a better melding of the blend. I personally enjoy medium to full bodied cigars, but this was a change of pace that I welcome.

Here are my scores:

Appearance: 12/15
Ash: 8/10
Draw: 9/10
Burn: 7/10
Smoke: 10/10
Flavor/Blend: 15/20
Uniqueness: 7/10
Finish: 13/15

Total: 81

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Last edited:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

REVIEW DETAILS

APPEARANCE: 13/15
Beautiful reddish-brown cigar with an intoxicating aroma of sweet
hay. Finished with a square-profile triple-capped head. The cigar
feels perfectly firm, is practically vein-free, and is certainly mouth
watering. The only negatives are the two visible water spots on
the wrapper leaf.

ASH: 9/10
Very firm and dense ash with a light-gray outer and dark inner
core. Holds on tight for several inches at a time.

DRAW: 9/10
The draw is nicely firm, but perhaps just a tad bit too tight.

BURN: 8/10
Slightly tilted, uneven burn throughout that thankfully stays cool
and doesn't need to be overworked. Required a few touch ups
to even out the burn.

SMOKE: 9/10
A nice--but not tremendous--volume of crisp white pleasant smoke.
No harsh odors whatsoever.

FLAVOR: 20/20
On the initial light, the flavor explodes with sweet floral and fruity
plum/raisin notes followed by the long twang of a CC. After a half
inch or so, the cigar settles into a nicely balanced sweet and earthy
flavor, predominantly raisin and oak, undercut by a mildly spicy
twang. In the second third, it develops a rich creaminess that
thickens and enhances the flavor. The final third of the cigar
becomes noticeably heavier, with the spicy twang gaining in
strength, especially in the back of the throat and through the sinus.
Even with this added heaviness towards the end, the flavors are
still extremely well balanced. This cigar really knows how to take
you on a flavor journey. A nearly perfect cigar flavor-wise.

UNIQUENESS: 10/10
Exciting and thoroughly enjoyable exhibiting the definitive
characteristics of a CC. This is definitely a world-class cigar.

FINISH: 15/15
A strong and dynamic finish with a long flavor delivery that you can
savor for several minutes after each puff. While the cigar started out
wonderful, it developed into an even greater stick at the end.

TOTAL: 93 Points

PS - I'm about 95% sure what this particular stick is.