What's new

Review Contest deux Cigar 2!!!!!!

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Alright guys... You have two weeks to smoke and get your reviews up for cigar #2. If you have any questions concerning which cigar is cigar number 2 please pm me. Now that you know what #1 was lets see what you have to say about this bad boy. Cheers!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I've been feeling pretty crappy lately so no smokes for me since Memorial Day. Hopefully I'll be able to smoke #2 this weekend.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've smoked mine and have my notes done and my review is halfway typed up, but I haven't had a chance to finalize it yet.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Smoked it last night. Would you believe it's the first cigar I had since the last review cigar we smoked??? I'll post up my review later.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0

Cigar #2 looks 6x50 ish...( I didn't measure, just eyeballed it)
Maduro wrapper, toothy and smells great! Good construction and nicely done cap.

1st. impression is how sweet the wrapper is. Almost cloaks the taste of the cigar, leading me to think that the blend is very light. After about an inch in, the cigar opens up and the filler starts to compliment the wrapper. It's a nice blend of sweet acidic fruit and fermented tobacco. I think this is an awesome blending job so far.

the ash is a mottled gray that is pretty stout and not flaky. Not worthy of an ash stand competition though, ash lasted about 2" before it fell on my lap.Razor sharp burn.

About half way the cigar went bland. It was a weird feeling; the wrapper lost it's sweetness and the filler lost it's oomph and I felt a little disappointed.
It took a few more draws to get the taste back but now it's more straight tobacco with little else to compliment.

#2 started of promising a complex smoke but fell a little short in the end.

I would give this a solid 89

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Ok, here is my review. I was going to take pictures, but it was too dark out, so I'll get pictures in my next review.

Overview: When I smoked this, I was just getting over a cold and it was my first cigar since the last review cigar!! It looked like a Toro sized cigar with no triple cap, so I’m guessing it is not a Cuban cigar. The cigar had a nice look to it but it was a bit squishy when I squeezed it. After clipping it with my Palio I noted the draw was very loose. I made a mental note to go slowly smoking this so as not to heat up the cigar too much and ruin the flavors. The smoking time for me was an hour and 40 minutes.

Appearance: The wrapper had a dark maduro color. It was supple, leathery and very toothy. The cap was nicely made. There was a slight crack in the foot and a couple of pinholes in the wrapper that were surface blemishes only as they did not go deep (indicating possible beetles if they were deep) There were a few water spots also. Overall a good looking cigar.
13/15

Ash: The ash was a very dark, mottled gray. It was pretty firm considering how loose the draw was. It fell off in the ashtray at about the two inch mark. It developed some weird gaps as the cigar went along possibly indicating some inconsistencies with rolling the filler.
9/10

Draw: As I stated earlier, the prelight draw was very loose. I don’t like cigars that are too loose as they tend to burn too hot and ruin the flavors. It was loose throughout the entire cigar, so at least it was consistent throughout. I always make an effort to smoke slowly and I had to work even harder at that for this cigar.
7/10

Burn: The burn on this cigar was very inconsistent. At the beginning it was ok but after the first half inch it straightened out nicely making me feel better about this cigar. Then at about the 1/3 mark, it got out of whack with high and low points, like hills and valleys. And then it straightened out again. This happened once again a few inches later. It wasn’t terrible, but it certainly was not great.
8/10

Smoke: With this loose draw it was sure easy to get a large amount of smoke. The aroma of the smoke was woody and earthy and pleasing.
9/10

Flavor/Blend: The initial flavors are woody and a bit papery and dry. I found this cigar to be very one dimensional. It had an acrid quality that left me looking for water. At about the halfway point I noted some peppery flavors peeking through, but there was still that papery, dry flavor that was predominant. This just wasn’t my kind of cigar.
15/20

Uniqueness: Well this cigar was so dry in character that I actually felt like my nasal passages were drying out. That’s pretty unique I guess, but this tasted like a lot of other bad cigars to me.
6/10

Finish: The finish on the cigar was very long (which in this case was not a good thing since it tasted so poor to me.) It was peppery and spicy with a metallic bite to it.
12/15

Conclusion: Overall, this was an awful cigar in my opinion. Others may like it and I would certainly never judge people who disagree with me, but this cigar just isn’t for me. It was one dimensional with a very dry character that left me looking for water a lot. The burn was not bad, but not great. The draw was too loose for my liking. The appearance of the cigar was pleasing, but while that’s nice, the flavors are the most important part of the smoking experience.

Overall score: 79 (if my math is correct)

Last edited:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

REVIEW DETAILS

APPEARANCE: 13/15
A very dark brown toro-sized cigar with a bumpy, toothy texture and
one absurdly large vein runs from head to foot. This cigar features
a mild aroma that smells woody and sweet. The head is finished in a
double cap, and the foot shows a nicely packed roll bunch that
should draw well.

ASH: 8/10
Average ash density in a medium-gray color with dark banding that
holds well, but won't win any long ash contests.

DRAW: 8/10
The draw is just a touch loose, but doesn't seem to pull too much
air through it.

BURN: 9/10
The cigar lights easily and hold a consistent burn throughout. It
doesn't burn hot and doesn't require any touch ups. A quality burn.

SMOKE: 9/10
This cigar pours out a heavy volume of smoke, likely due to the
fine draw through nicely packed leaves. There's a slight yellow
tint to the smoke.

FLAVOR: 16/20
The cigar lights up with a woody and pungent flavor backed with a
hot pepper spice, but quickly simmers down into an earthy and nutty
flavor with a sweet, creamy undertone. At about the halfway point,
the cigar develops a somewhat annoying metallic flavor, but
thankfully that disappears in the final third and the nutty sweet
flavors dominate. There's a definite hot spice flavor that lingers
in the back of the throat throughout the cigar, but it isn't
particularly pronounced.

UNIQUENESS: 7/10
A nice cigar, but perhaps not as dynamic or rich as many other
maduros on the market today. It's a fine enough stick that changes
quite a bit and is certainly enjoyable, but isn't particularly unique.

FINISH: 14/15
The potent nutty and sweet finish is the savior of this cigar.
Honestly, until the final third of this cigar, it wasn't that
impressive, but the solid finish improved my overall opinion of
this stick.

TOTAL: 84 Points

PS - I believe this cigar features a Dominican-Honduran blend,
or perhaps Dominican-Nicaraguan. But that's just a wild guess.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Cigar Review #2

Appearance (15/15): My expectations for this cigar were high. The cigar was approximately 6 inches long with a ring gauge of about 52, covered by a very toothy dark maduro wrapper, as you can see in this picture (click the picture for a larger image):
Library - 0005.jpg
This cigar was firm to the touch and showed no significant flaws. The foot revealed consistent bunching, and the head was finished with an attractive double-cap.
Library - 0008.jpg
The pre-light aroma had faint citrus notes. So far, so good. Unfortunately, it was downhill after this point.

Ash (8/10): The ash was dark gray and showed significant grain. When the burn was uneven, some light-gray ash from the binder was visible. The ash was solid and consistent, and held for about an inch and a half before dropping.
Library - 0003.jpg

Draw (10/10): The draw was excellent, neither too loose nor too tight.

Burn (7/10): The burn was uneven, though it eventually would correct itself. The wrapper was thick, and the burn problems were particularly noticeable at the edges of the wrapper leaf.

Smoke (9/10): There was plenty of thick, white smoke. The first half-inch or so produced slightly less smoke than I like, but besides that the smoke volume and appearance was excellent.

Flavor/Blend (13/20): Unfortunately, there's not much to say about the flavor of this cigar. The initial aroma smelled of sweet wood: cedar and hints of sandalwood. The flavor was a muddled mix, not unpleasant, but lacking any discernable flavors. After an inch or so, a faint citrus flavor emerged. This was followed by a coppery taste that wasn't overwhelming, but detracted from the already bland taste. Very little flavor development followed. In the second third, I tasted charred wood. The final third was a bit harsher, and delivered a mild cedar flavor. The flavors were never particularly unpleasant, just bland and boring.

Uniqueness (6/10): There's not much to say here, since the cigar lacked well-defined, distinct flavors.

Finish (12/15): The harshness and copper taste detracted from the finish. I smoked the cigar until about an inch and a half remained (about 1.5 hours), and it was pleasant enough that I wasn't fighting an urge to pitch the cigar. I wouldn't smoke this cigar again when trying to relax and enjoy a fine smoke, but it would be an adequate "yard 'gar."

Library - 0001.jpg

Total Score: 80/100

Attachments