What's new

Review Contest deux Cigar 2!!!!!!

vanwhyjr

George
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cigar #2 of the review is a nice looking Maduro. It is about 6 X 52 in size. The construction of this stick seems very good. It has a delicious chocolate, sweet smell to it.

1. Appearance: It has a good tight wrap. Single cap. Overall quite smooth. The only down fall was the large vein that started at the tip and ran down ¾ of the cigar. 12/15
2. Ash: The ash had tight flakiness. It was pretty strong. Held of for about 2 inches before falling off. It tried to curl a little upwards the first ½ inch or so. 8/10
3. Draw: The draw on this smoke was just right for me. Not to loose and not so tight I got a headache pulling on it! 10/10
4. Burn: The burn was not too bad. It started very even. After about an inch or so it went a little uneven, but by rotating it during the smoke it evened back up. The biggest problem I had with this stick was that it went out all by itself for no reason about half way through. I relit it and it went fine from there on. 8/10
5. Smoke: The smoke was average on this cigar. It was a nice light gray from the mouth. There was not a lot from the butt end of the stick. The biggest smoke factor was the wife didn’t mind it, which means I can smoke it in the house!! 9/10
6. Flavor/Blend: The first taste was not what I expected from the original smell of it. It seemed a little on the spicy side. There was not much of the sweetness I smelled. I do not have the palate to tast all the complex flavors everyone writes about. This was an average tasting cigar for me. It did start out tasting like a strong smoke, but then in the middle it mellowed out towards the middle. 16/20
7. Uniqueness: This cigar didn’t seem to unique to me. The only odd thing I can think of is that it didn’t taste like it smelled. 7/10
8. Finish: The finish on this stick was a little on the harsh side. It got a little bitter about 1 inch for the end. It seems like the strength grew on it too. It defiantly changed from the middle section. 12/15

Overall this was not a terrible smoke. It seemed like a decent average Maduro. I would defiantly smoke one again, but it wasn’t good enough for me to call one of my favorites.

I gave it an overall rating of an 82.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It was a beautiful, but hot day here in Texas as I sat down to enjoy cigar #2. This cigar looked tasty with a nice medium dark wrapper and a sweet smell with a touch of cocoa.

I clipped off the tip and the prelight draw was perfect with a slightly sweet taste on my tongue. As I started this cigar I got a slightly acidic leave however it cleared up quickly, and cedar dominated the flavor.

As I continued this cigar the draw was great, the amount of smoke was perfect, and the burn was almost perfect. The ash held strong and was light grey. The flavor of cedar continued and I started to get a slightly nutty flavor.

This cigar continued to smoke just fine, I was hoping it would gain complexity, but it really stayed pretty consistent.

As I continued into the final third the flavors of cedar and nuts continued, nothing really developed, but it was a good cigar.

After a few more minutes the cigar told me it was done.

This was a nice mild to medium bodied cigar, the construction was great, the burn and draw where great, and flavor was not bad at all. These days I look for a bit more complexity in my smokes, but there was not a thing wrong with this stick. It was a good cigar.

Thanks Benzo for another enjoyable smoke.

1. Appearance- Looked good and was well constructed. Points - 14

2. Ash- Sturdy white gray. Points 9

3. Draw- Nice draw. Points 9

4. Burn- No Burn Problems. Points 9

5. Smoke- Plenty of smoke. Points 9

6. Flavor/Blend- I enjoyed the flavors but there was a lack of progression and I got a little bored of the flavors. Points 15

7. Uniqueness- Not paritcularly unique. Points 7

8. Finish- I enjoyed this smoke and but it did not wow me. Points 12

mnelson

Matthew
Rating - 98.3%
104   1   0
1. Appearance- Constructed Very Well, zero visible imperfections. Not to hard to the touch, but not spongy either. - 15

2. Ash- very dark gray ash, had some problems holding on for more than an inch - 7

3. Draw- Very Nice Draw not to lose not to tight. - 9

4. Burn- No Significant Burn Problems, didnt need any touch ups but could have been better - 8

5. Smoke- Just Average, Not as much as i would have liked -7

6. Flavor/Blend- Very One Dimensional, lacked any complex flavors - 13

7. Uniqueness- No unique flavors. Points 7

8. Finish- This cigar was well built and smoked nicely but was won dimensional, and lacked a wow factor. - 11

Total - 77

Hopefully this cigar develops some more complex flavors with humi time.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
sorry for the late review. my wireless is down and i've been at a funeral this weekend so I have not been able to fix it. anyways i'm doing this review with my treo.

over this was a dud of duds. it looked great but the constructionn was crap. it tunneled the whole time I smoked it and would not hold a ash to save a life. it was very very very loose and when it did smoke it seemed to be a good smoke. the flavors I got out of it were real earthy and almost bitter (like certain type of chocolate are but with a sweetness behind it). After about 2/3 of the cigar I gave up on it.

A-12
A-3
D-5
B-1
S-4
F-10
U-7
F-6

overall-48

like I said earlier this was a dud. I would try another just because this was smoked so bad it had to have a problem.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Man Car Cave Diaries

Beverage: Poland Spring
Cutting Utensil: Palio
Lighting Utensil: Xikar
Music: Metallica
Weather: Bright partly cloudy
Smoking Time 1.5 hrs

Pre light draw seemed a little loose with hints of grass, earth and cocoa. I would consider this a Toro sized cigar with a nice Rosado wrapper. There were 2 small veins and a small blemish in the wrapper near the foot which did not affect the smoke.

The head and foot were packed just right; not too tight and not too loose.

The ash was strong like a prize fighter and held on for over 2 inches more than once and ashed only twice. The ash was grey and slightly flaky but not messy.

The draw was near perfect with the only issue, not major by any means, being just slightly loose at times and perfect at other times.

The burn on this cigar started to become uneven at around the 1 inch mark. There was nothing to worry about because it took care of business on its own by correcting itself. I did have to touch it up after the first ash fell off, but no need for concern. The burn overall was slightly uneven throughout its lifespan. It did not detract from my experience at all.

The smoke was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. Tons of billowy smoke on every draw.

The 1/3 of this cigar started off with an initial sweetness with undertones of slight spice, characteristic of white pepper. The spice was not long lived and was usurped by the developing sweetness combined with a smokiness trait. There was a slight sourness noted on the finish. As the 2/3 went underway I noticed my old friend spicy coming back for a spell. My friend brought along some beautiful creamy smoke. As I exhaled through my nose I noticed hints of citrus (I want to say grapefruit). As the last third commenced I was swept away on cocoa clouds. The flavors were very nice and blended well with one another. This cigar was medium to full bodied with a medium to long finish at times.

As far as uniqueness goes it didn’t strike me as super unique. The citrus flavors were different and new to me. This was definitely a different profile than what I usually smoke.

This cigar ended very nicely and left me very relaxed and calm. Definitely a worry free smoke. This cigar was a male version of “Calgon, take me away.”

Appearance-------13
Ash-----------------9
Draw---------------9
Burn----------------8
Smoke-------------10
Flavor/Blend------16
Uniqueness--------7
Finish--------------13
Overall------------85

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I know I'm 5 minutes too late. My original idea would not fit as an attachment. I have too find a way to get in on here. I guess I'll figure it out by the next review. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Drew Estate Liga Privada #9

I was really excited about smoking this cigar, because I had heard such good things about the blend. From the start it had a beautiful dark silky smooth oily wrapper with only a slight crinkle in the wrapper leaf toward the foot. The siple white contrasting band seemed simple yet elegant. The draw was pristine from the get go, with just enough give to give me clouds of aromatic smoke. The first flavors I noticed was dark cofee surrounding an earthy core. The draw seemed to loosen a little about an inch in as the cigar began to burn at an angle. I had trouble keeping the cigar burning straight the entire smoke. The flavors remained pretty constant throughout with the earthiness really coming out in the second half. The ash was grey, smooth all over and moderately sturdy. I enjyed the consistency of this cigar and its bitter flavors, but didnt think that it ever really stood out as incredible. I'd definately smoke another in a year or so though to see how it progresses with a littl age. Towards the end of the smoke I really felt as though it had gotten a little bland and I sat it down a little early.

a- 14
a-8
d- 8
b- 6
fb- 16
u-5
s- 9
f- 12

Total- 78/100

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I just got back into town and I'm feeling a little sick so this will be quick. Don't know if it was the cigar or something I ate earlier, I'm just hoping to keep my "Puke free since '03" streak alive. Might not happen.

Appearance: 11

Beautiful maduro wrapper. When I looked closely I noticed some nicks in wrapper that looked like they were there before it was rolled. Other than that, beautiful!

Ash: 9

Nice white ash, black in the middle. Cannot tell you how long it held, but over an inch. You'll find out why in a minute.

Draw: 4

Was a tight pack, but I could get smoke through it. After about an inch or so it seemed the cigar wanted to smoke faster so I poked it. The second time I poked it I felt a plug and tried to push through it... A big chunk of tobacco came out the foot. Mike took pics on his phone and I'll post em up when I get em.

Burn: 9

No real problems, but the draw issue at the start caused it to want to burn faster than it did.

Smoke: 9

Was fine after I poked it, but not much before.

Flavor: 12

I am not a maduro guy!!! Started out light with a nice tingly spice on the tip of the tongue. Light citrus tones underneath. That didn't last long. After I poked it I really got the maduro profile. Very bitter at the 1/3 mark! The bitterness tapered off throughout, By the 2/3 I could tell the citrus tones again. The last 1/3 was straight maduro again.

Uniqueness: 6

Most maddies are the same to me. This was smooth at times, but not much difference.

Finish: 8

Just a regular maduro.

Overall: 68

Now to hope I can keep the contents of my stomach down!

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I was not involved in this review that Benzo put together, but I am really impressed with the level of professionalism in many of the reviews. Love the pictures especially. Enjoyed reading the reviews and would love to be included in the next time one goes out for review.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I actually thought this cigar was good. I choose not to do a review so as not to be put into the running for the contest! hehe. Since I won the last one. Overall, I gave it an 80
The flavor was good, but not great. It actually started off real well flavor wise for me, but then took a dive. BTW, I had no idea that it was a Drew Estates.