What's new

Review: My 1st Cabaiguan

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Cabaiguan Corona Extra

Pairing: Water
Environment: In my garage, door open (cold, windy and raining out)
Smoking Duration: 1:15 (I'm a very slow smoker)

Construction:
The cigar looks good but not visually "stunning" -- one moderate vein that I'm eyeing suspiciously. The cut and pre-light draw are good. The burn starts out uneven, but corrected itself and the cigar required two touch-ups along the way (note the bad weather conditions). The ash held for about an inch.

First Third:
The cigar started out creamy, buttery, and toasty (no sweetness)--which are the flavors I had expected from this cigar based on the things I had read. There was, however, less overall flavor than I expected at the beginning (and MUCH less smoke from each draw). But all these flavors picked up after the first inch. The cigar is smoking faster than I anticipated as well. At this point the flavor is what I'd call medium, the body is mild-medium, and the strength is also mild-medium
Flavor-wise, if someone asked me to compare this cigar to something else at this point, I honestly couldn't. It's a relaxing and pleasant smoke, I'm enjoying it.

Second Third:
The strength is picking up a bit now (medium)--I'm smoking this on a nearly empty stomach, and I'm feeling the start of a good buzz. There is a tiny amount of pepper on the finish now (but not hot), as well as a spice that I can't identify but like. There are also occasional notes of cedar, hay and sweet tobacco. This cigar seems to be becoming quite complex--I'm getting something just a bit different off each puff. The quantity of smoke has also picked up a little, but not yet to the level I would prefer.
With the combination of the flavors and the level of body and strength in this cigar, I'm feeling very relaxed and happy at this point. I wish it was a nice day so that I could sit on my deck swing and ponder life in front of the pond :)

Final Third:
The flavor is becoming a bit more rich now...it tastes like high-quality tobacco (I'm not even sure that I mean by that...). I'm thankful that the body is only mild-meduim so that I can draw on it more frequently. Each draw is still different in subtle ways. I even got a hint of caramel a couple times, as well as a few things I can't identify--quite complex and fun. [I don't always notice the subtle flavors of a cigar, and I think the milder body of this stick is allowing me to do that.] There are more stronger tobacco flavors now closer to the end of the stick, but it's not at all harsh. The body is increasing and the complexity decreasing in the last inch, but the flavor is good. Any hints of sweetness are gone. The end of this cigar is reminding me a bit of an Angeles now.
It's not that often that I'll nub a cigar...but I bunt my lips on this baby, and the very last puff was still good!

The Bad:
I like a lot of smoke from my cigars, and this one did not produce a lot. It was only 2 days OTT, so perhaps this had something to do with it. This is a cigar that seems to require your attention to stay lit/burning right--if you set it down for 2 minutes you'll need a corrective draw.

The Good:
This cigar never becomes harsh, even with a corrective hard draw--this is awesome, as I hate harsh or tarry flavors. The smoke also stayed cool down to the last inch or so--I love a cool burn. Of course, the flavor is great as I've already discussed.

Final Thoughts:
This might just be my new favorite "relaxing" cigar. Both the amount of flavor and the flavors themselves are the perfect combo to keep me interested and enjoying the cigar without rousing me into awareness (like a Padilla 1932 or the orgasmic final third of a Victorias). This might be the perfect anti-stress cigar for days when the baby drives me insane. The only hamper to the perfect relaxing smoke is that this cigar seems to require regular attention.

Verdict:
Loved it! I'd give my first Cabaiguan a qualified 93/100.
To me this is a "mood cigar," meaning that I might find it a little boring or totally awesome depending upon what I was doing at the time. I can't wait to try the whole line!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice NJ... you didn't happen to snipe those boys off the boards did you? Maybe two-three days ago? LMAO...

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Gorgeous review, Nate! And yes, Cabaiguans do produce little smoke. Me favorite? Guapo RX. :thumbsup:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Nice review - My favorite is the Maduro 46.
I don't have any maduros, though I believe the El Triunfador is a Cab Maduro in a lancero shape, and I do have some of those which I'm looking forward to.

I'll try to find some of the Guapos 46/RX...and I read a post here a little while ago that the original Guapos (with the different) wrapper will be re-released later this year.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OUTSTANDING REVIEW NATE!!!! I hope some warmer weather comes your way, that does make things more enjoyable. I totally agree with you about it being a "mood cigar". last sat night hung out with some friends just sat back with a 6 pack of stella and shot the shite..... one of the best times ive had just chillin out:cbig:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanx for the review bro, I agree this is a great smoke, but im REALLY diggin the Maduro 46 :bigeyes:

Yea, I need to find some of the maduros and the sungrown (Guapos) versions. I think I have each of the 4 Conni sizes, though (need to check).

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I got sniped on Monday... I was trying to steal em at 50% off retail and the bid went one higher than my max... go figure :bangbang: ... but it must not have been you... :scratchhe
not me...I won some on the 7th and some more today

(*HINT--bid on the SINGLES as soon as they pop up--usually noon the day AFTER the previous singles finish...if that makes sense. For example, singles just ended today, so tomorrow at around noon the next set should go up!). I've put in a number of bids for various sizes at $5 a pop and won some of them.

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=684725

I've also won La Riqueza sticks at that price, though usually they go to $7. The Havana VI can usually be had for $5/stick for singles as well. The brown labels and limited releases are really volatile as far as price goes. They've had Blacks up before, they went for like $20. The El Triunfador went for like $15 I think.

I think these sticks are worth the $10...but it sure is awesome to get 2 for the same price :guitar: