What's new

RH down? WTF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my 50 ct. Had 25ish sticks in for a month or so with two Boveda 69 's and Brigham 70 gel jar and held 65 solidly. I recently removed the sticks except for a couple (don't ask why) and as expected RH dropped off considerably to approx. 61 and held there for well over a week. After purchasing new sticks (about a dozen) I changed to Boveda 75's in hopes of getting 70. I left the gel jar in, closed it up and to my surprise 24 hrs later I was actually down 3%! Why? I should mention I also threw in a slotted tray which I lightly dampened on the sides and bottom with distilled h2o and placed it on top of Bovedas which are in cedar holder. Hygrometer is xikar digi. recently calibrated and I'm reasonably sure I have a good seal based on prior readings. Could the tray have sucked up moisture even after dampening? It was out of humi for some time. Too few sticks? Removed the tray and will check in 24 hrs.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Winter equals VERY low rH levels in your home if you live in a cold climate (like NY!). With a traditional wooden humidor, you will find you need additional humidification to keep your humidor settled, since it will be losing more moisture to the air around it.

Assuming your hygrometer is calibrated properly, if you're still showing a lower rH than you like, just toss in another Boveda pack and see if that does the trick (it will take a few days if the wood has dried out a bit). Also, you could put some distilled water on a cloth and wipe the inside of the lid of your humidor to hurry this along ... not enough moisture to drip onto the cigars, just enough to soak into the wood a bit.

If you don't have another Boveda pack and there is enough room in your humidor, just set a small glass of distilled/bottled water inside (shot glass, whatever) until the rH normalizes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've always understood, when you mix 2 way with traditional humidification you will get bad results. The Boveda packs being 2 way are probably fighting with your gel pack. I would use solely Bovedas and see what can of results you have. I've been fighting with RH all winter myself and I broke down and am building a Wineador as we speak, but I've had really great results with a Tupperdore with 69% Boveda as well as my desktop 150ct humi running 1lb of Heartfelt beads. Winter is an evil creature, brother!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yep, get rid of that gel crap... stick to the boveda. Have you tested your hygros to make sure they are accurate? If your hygros are accurate and boveda doesn't work, then you might have a seal problem with your humidor.

And if/when you ever get a bigger humidor, get some beads my friend... beads are the humidification for dummies, me included! :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I've always understood, when you mix 2 way with traditional humidification you will get bad results. The Boveda packs being 2 way are probably fighting with your gel pack. I would use solely Bovedas and see what can of results you have. I've been fighting with RH all winter myself and I broke down and am building a Wineador as we speak, but I've had really great results with a Tupperdore with 69% Boveda as well as my desktop 150ct humi running 1lb of Heartfelt beads. Winter is an evil creature, brother!
agreed^^^
i just ordered some 72% boveda packs and the website states that you should NOT be mixing the packs with other gel beads or jars as they will counteract eachother and give you low RH levels

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I had to put a small container of distilled water in my humidor to help my ci smiley humidifier along. The RH is getting to the point now i am not worried about my sticks drying out. Cant wait for my beads to come.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm getting mixed opinions on using the gel with the packs. Boveda says get rid of gel but they also say Boveda can't be recharged and we know that ain't true. Can't see how the gel, which is just releasing humidity would counteract the boveda which is designed to stableize at a given Rh. Wouldn't the worst that would happen is eventually the boveda will suck the gel dry if its not maintained with water or solution? What would be the difference bets that and say dampening the box or having high humidity air from the outside infiltrating the box. As stated befoe I HAVE recently calibrated and checked seal. Still would love to hear opinions on different level Bovedas together. I feel it would increase the effectiveness and life span of the greater value pack.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I'm sure it's just the effects of old man Winter on your levels. When I got my first humidor I used to freak out about "wrecking" my cigars because it was too dry. Here in Minnesota the humidity runs from 25-30% in the wintertime and I just plain need more packs to keep up with it. I shoot for 65% on all of my cigars (because they burn better that way) but it really doesn't need to be that precise. A few % above or below is NOT going to wreck them. Yes, if they sit at <50% for a prolonged period of time it may do some damage but realistically anywhere between 60% and 70% (and maybe as high as 75%) should be just fine.

Bottom line is keep them as stable as possible but don't freak out if they are not sitting at 70*/70% 24/7.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Sounds like your issue is a bad seal on your humidor. OR....you go in there too much and don't even give it a chance to stabilize.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Sounds like your issue is a bad seal on your humidor. OR....you go in there too much and don't even give it a chance to stabilize.
Excellent point! The more you open it the harder it is going to be for you to stabilize it. Try going 48 hours without opening it and see where your level is at.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couldn't help myself and threw a 72 pak in with the two 75's. seal seems good did the dollar bill check, sounds very soft when lid is dropped even put tape over the rear joint. Could I have had false readings with more sticks in the box since they were stacked closer to the lid and hygrometer? Not panicking just trying to learn. Part of the game. Recalibrating now for the hell of it. I swear I'm going to stay out of it for a few days.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my wooden humidor. I live in central New York and its sucks this time of the yr to get a good rh. I bought a new air 18 bottle wine cooler and put 65% beads and BAM it's holding steady now at 65 for 3 weeks. Old man winter sucks the life out of a wooden humidor and your stix. Get a wine cooler and your problems will be solved

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Just noticed that mine are all down a little too. I go in them often but I never thought about the winter and the dryness. Also dawned on me ... I fell asleep in my basement (which is where my humidors are) last week and spent the night coughing but I wasn't sick. Did it again same thing. Slept upstairs the next night fine. It's just Really dry down there. And the dc area is very humid in the summer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No glass. Just super dry air like everyone is saying. If it's not up when I get my trade sticks I may lightly dampen the box to add moisture and tighten the seal. I can already see what the "slippery slope" is all about. Thinking wineador now. Hey Mista, usually the RH should be HIGHER if it's a bellow ground basement. Dryer in summer (unless it's damp for other reasons) that's why it may feel cooler down there in summer. Might be dust or other allergin. Cold winter here in east= more heat= bye bye humidity.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Yea you would think ...it's finished, only partially below ground and the humidifier in the ventilation system seems to be more effective on the upper levels. Actually I have it set to not even run on the lower levels of the house at night so that may be it too.