What's new

Ribs on the grill

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Got a new Weber propane grill for my birthday. For the first time, I feel like I can control the heat and attempt stuff on indirect heat.

I want to try baby back ribs on Memorial Day. This will be my first attempt. I plan on putting a disposable foil pan of water on top of the flavor bars/below the grates and placing the ribs on indirect heat for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 225 degrees. I have a sauce I am happy with.

Questions:
1. Where is the flaw in my described plan?
2. Do I brush the sauce on during the whole cooking process or for the last half and hour or so?

I am not interested in adding any smoke flavor...for example, wood chips, etc.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Hey David, I do this a lot as well. I have a Weber gas grill and I take this route.
I put the front burner on and let it heat to about 225, I put the ribs on the back with my dry rub on them. I typicaly grill them 6-8 hours, if I do more then 2 racks I stack each rack on the other. Mostly keeping it to no more than 3 racks so I have done a total of 6 racks this way. I rotate the ribs during the cooking times from top to bottom. I start the BBQ sauce the last hour and a half.

Let me know if you want to talk over anything to clearify

John

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Hey David, I do this a lot as well. I have a Weber gas grill and I take this route.
I put the front burner on and let it heat to about 225, I put the ribs on the back with my dry rub on them. I typicaly grill them 6-8 hours, if I do more then 2 racks I stack each rack on the other. Mostly keeping it to no more than 3 racks so I have done a total of 6 racks this way. I rotate the ribs during the cooking times from top to bottom. I start the BBQ sauce the last hour and a half.

Let me know if you want to talk over anything to clearify

John
My recipe book that came with the grill is saying 2 hours at 225 degrees??

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Preparation: Remove silver skin. Coat with rub or soak in marinade over night.

Cookin: When I do ribs on a propane grill i do indirect heat the entire time (~ 3 hours, flipping once, bone side down first) at 300F. Let them sit for about 15 min before doing anything.

Have fun

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
get some wood chips, and or pellets...and put them in a foil pouch and put those directly on the fire. I typically heat the grill all burners on until 300-350, then turn off the front 2 burners...I cook, rotating every 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour until done...typically uses 2 pouches...only an hour of smoke is needed...and don't sauce till the last 15 minutes.

pellets i'm talking about...
http://www.weewillys.com/online-market/bbqrs-delight-pellets.html

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
When I smoke ribs I figure 5 hours min at 225. I smoke them for 3 hours then wrap them in foil. Cook the last 2 to 3 hours in foil. I usually open the foil and sauce the last hour of cooking. But this is me using a wood smoker.

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
everyone has their own way (which is what is great about BBQ). I'll give you mine just for fun also. This picture is of spares, but you can follow the same thing for baby backs. I just cut out the trimming part that you do with spares.

First remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. You can pull this off easy by using paper towels to grip it. (picture is of spares, but baby backs have the same thing)

Unbelievably, some folks leave the membrane on and actually expect their friends and family to eat that stuff! I have even been to restaurants that leave it on. It takes a little extra time to get it off but it is so worth it.

Add my dry rub the night before. If your rub has a lot of salt then maybe it's not best to let it sit that long though. The salt will draw the moisture out of your meat

now the smoking. Get your cooker up to 225. if you are using gas make sure the meat is far away from the burners. You want low and slow cooking.

I use the 3-2-1 method.

Cook for 3 hours

take them off and put them in foil

Cook for 2 more hours

take the out of the foil

cook for one more hour and put your sauce on in the last 30 mins.

make sure the internal temp gets to 170 and your ready to eat.

hope this helps

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
David

The picture above is a spare rib. your baby backs won't have the sheath on the back of them that you see above.

2 hrs at 225 might be a bit low on the cook time. you may need more time. a good test is to pick them up with tongs and if they bend to a 45 degree angle, they're done.

as for the bbq application, wait until the last half hour to start applying the sauce. keep a close eye on it vbecause the sauce will carmelize first, then it burns, and it happens real fast. you want it to get sticky, then put some mroe on, and repeat the process till you have as much sauce as you want.

If you want to change that paln a smidge i can give you some pointers that involve 2 hours of oven baking then finishing on the grill that will give you fall off the bone ribs.

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
David
The picture above is a spare rib. your baby backs won't have the sheath on the back of them that you see above.
yes they will

All ribs (spares like my picture, or baby back) have a backing membrane.

here's a picture of removing the membrane from baby backs

here's a video of how to remove it from baby backs
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQVIMKDpZfg"]YouTube- BBQ Baby Back Ribs Membrane Removal[/nomedia]

you must have a good butcher that takes it off for you.

Last edited:

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rub is for flavor and color. It really comes down to what you like best. If you use a lot of sauce, the rub doesn't add all that much.

this is the rub I made up and use a lot

1/2 cup paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
6 tablespoons granulated onion
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Just mix all together and store in glass or plastic. Rub generously!

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
get some wood chips, and or pellets...and put them in a foil pouch and put those directly on the fire. I typically heat the grill all burners on until 300-350, then turn off the front 2 burners...I cook, rotating every 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour until done...typically uses 2 pouches...only an hour of smoke is needed...and don't sauce till the last 15 minutes.

pellets i'm talking about...
http://www.weewillys.com/online-market/bbqrs-delight-pellets.html
Ribby, When using pellets instead of wood chips, do you use less, more, or just throw em in there...

thanks.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Last summer I par boiled ribs and then cooked them on a low heat for a few hours and then put the sauce on near the end and it came out pretty good. I was doing it in the oven though.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Is the rub essential? Any good store bought rubs or recipe suggestions?
I have gotten some great rubs in my local stores, also check local BBQ resturants that migt be around you. I have picked up some very good rubs from local resturants.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Last summer I par boiled ribs...
The ultimate sin. One should strive to never boil their ribs. You lose all the flavor in the meat.

Slow and low is the key to proper ribs. Some rubs are so good, you don't need sauce. Some folks like their ribs wet so if you sauce, sauce in the last 30mins of your cook. The only exception to that rule I know of is if you're using Salt Lick sauces. They recommend saucing throughout the cook. Generally the higher the sugar content in the sauce, the more it's going to caramelize and burn which is why they recommend saucing the ribs towards the end of your cook.

Another tip is to baste your ribs with a mop sauce or spritzing the ribs with apple juice throughout the cook. Say every hour or so. Consider adding wood chips to the cook. Smoke just adds another layer of flavor to your ribs.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
yes they will

All ribs (spares like my picture, or baby back) have a backing membrane.

here's a picture of removing the membrane from baby backs

here's a video of how to remove it from baby backs
YouTube- BBQ Baby Back Ribs Membrane Removal

you must have a good butcher that takes it off for you.
OK, I'll confess, I don't do baby back ribs. I'm a spare rib guy and I'm very familiar with that nasty ol membrane on the backside of spares. guess it makes sense that the babys have it too. just without that tasty little chefs treat back strap...