What's new

Ribs on the grill

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hah! ya, that little flap on spares makes for a nice treat, you are correct! I do more spares than baby backs mostly because of the price.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use a good salty rub then a sweet glaze or sauce. My fave glaze is rootbeer bourbon.
Two cans of rootbeer (NOT DIET)
one cup of sugar
one cup of bourbon
one cinnamon stick
some cloves
some vanilla

Boil it to about half of the origional amt. when you are done cooking the ribs (i like to indirect cook them on my weber charcoal) then turn on the broiler (stay with me).

Mop the glaze on your ribs and throw them in the broiler for about 5 min, keep your eyes on them! this will candy the glaze on. the salty rub and sweet glaze is pretty damn good. Save the rest of the glaze for dippin.

Panicbound

Dankster
Rating - 99.1%
201   1   0
I like to use a good salty rub then a sweet glaze or sauce. My fave glaze is rootbeer bourbon.
Two cans of rootbeer (NOT DIET)
one cup of sugar
one cup of bourbon
one cinnamon stick
some cloves
some vanilla

Boil it to about half of the origional amt. when you are done cooking the ribs (i like to indirect cook them on my weber charcoal) then turn on the broiler (stay with me).

Mop the glaze on your ribs and throw them in the broiler for about 5 min, keep your eyes on them! this will candy the glaze on. the salty rub and sweet glaze is pretty damn good. Save the rest of the glaze for dippin.
Bet you don't need the sugar b/c you use sugared rootbeer. Looks great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
everyone has their own way (which is what is great about BBQ). I'll give you mine just for fun also. This picture is of spares, but you can follow the same thing for baby backs. I just cut out the trimming part that you do with spares.

First remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. You can pull this off easy by using paper towels to grip it. (picture is of spares, but baby backs have the same thing)

Unbelievably, some folks leave the membrane on and actually expect their friends and family to eat that stuff! I have even been to restaurants that leave it on. It takes a little extra time to get it off but it is so worth it.

Add my dry rub the night before. If your rub has a lot of salt then maybe it's not best to let it sit that long though. The salt will draw the moisture out of your meat

now the smoking. Get your cooker up to 225. if you are using gas make sure the meat is far away from the burners. You want low and slow cooking.

I use the 3-2-1 method.

Cook for 3 hours

take them off and put them in foil

Cook for 2 more hours

take the out of the foil

cook for one more hour and put your sauce on in the last 30 mins.

make sure the internal temp gets to 170 and your ready to eat.

hope this helps
DITTO 3,2,1 is the way to go. Actually about 45 to 55 minutes per pound works out pretty well. I do the first 3 hours at 180 for the smoke though. I have a built in smoker/slow cooker. It's got a little door on the bottom, left side for the fire. It tunnels under the grill and the counter. Then it goes up a chimney with a door on it and racks inside. She cooks low and slow perfectly.
When you have them in the foil, pour a little apple juice or apple vinegar in with them. The vinegar breaks down the connective tissue and makes them very tender.
As far as internal temp goes, 170 is perfect for ribs and shoulders. I'll be doing a 12lb shoulder myself for the holiday.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
great info guys!!

David, Central rub from memphis is awesome!!
It won't be there for this weekend but let me know if you want me to send some your way for the next go around. It's my favorite here in Memphis. I can also send some Rendezvous if you like. Or both!

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
very very nice. Love the meat puling back form the bones. That's when you know you have done well.

did you use the 3-2-1 method?

any rub?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Damn perfect timing, I have a rack sitting in the fridge. Don't know when I'll find 6 hours to cook them though, how long can I keep them refrigerated before cooking them. They were just defrosted today so refreezing is not an option.

And David they look amazing, can only hope mine come out that good.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Damn perfect timing, I have a rack sitting in the fridge. Don't know when I'll find 6 hours to cook them though, how long can I keep them refrigerated before cooking them. They were just defrosted today so refreezing is not an option.
Check HERE

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
very very nice. Love the meat puling back form the bones. That's when you know you have done well.

did you use the 3-2-1 method?

any rub?
Applied a McCormick dry rub and made the sauce myself from a copycat Chili's recipe.

Used the 3-2-1 method at a temp of about 230-240 degrees. Added a tablespoon or 2 of apple juice when I put them in the foil.

Came out yummy!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
everyone has their own way (which is what is great about BBQ). I'll give you mine just for fun also. This picture is of spares, but you can follow the same thing for baby backs. I just cut out the trimming part that you do with spares.

First remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. You can pull this off easy by using paper towels to grip it. (picture is of spares, but baby backs have the same thing)

Unbelievably, some folks leave the membrane on and actually expect their friends and family to eat that stuff! I have even been to restaurants that leave it on. It takes a little extra time to get it off but it is so worth it.

Add my dry rub the night before. If your rub has a lot of salt then maybe it's not best to let it sit that long though. The salt will draw the moisture out of your meat

now the smoking. Get your cooker up to 225. if you are using gas make sure the meat is far away from the burners. You want low and slow cooking.

I use the 3-2-1 method.

Cook for 3 hours

take them off and put them in foil

Cook for 2 more hours

take the out of the foil

cook for one more hour and put your sauce on in the last 30 mins.

make sure the internal temp gets to 170 and your ready to eat.

hope this helps
.....labor of love. That's the way to do them!