What's new

Rifle guys talk to me ...

Rating - 100%
103   0   0

This is 50 yds 20 rounds with iron sites 10 bench 10 standing. I'm new to rifles. I'm guessing this is ok. I'd like to get it to 3 inches with the iron sights and then go to scopes. Opinions? Suggestions?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Just like everything else: consistency. Press the trigger without disturbing the sights. From a bench at 50 yards, you should be shooting one ragged hole with good ammo. From standing, maybe the size of your fist.

You may need to adjust your LOP, stance, and other things. But I can't determine that from one target photo.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you shooting for bullseye or for self protection ? If its for SD I think the bad guy would be a bit upset. Try shooting with a rest, control breathing and trigger control.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Just like everything else: consistency. Press the trigger without disturbing the sights. From a bench at 50 yards, you should be shooting one ragged hole with good ammo. From standing, maybe the size of your fist.

You may need to adjust your LOP, stance, and other things. But I can't determine that from one target photo.
I've got work to do. I've got MAYBE 100-150 rds of rifle experience

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I second what Alex said. I have fire thousands of rounds through M-16s, and supported should be tight tight tight. Those butterfly sights can be a bit of an adjustment, but they are dead on when you get use to them. Unsupported is a different animal. Since the recoil isn't bad I have always had good results tucking my left elbow down tight or using a sling to pull it in tight.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
There's nothing better than a .22 to practice technique. You can pop off thousands of rounds and not break the bank. Practice grasshopper...you're off to a good start.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Where are you aimed? Also, it would be better to compare a target shot from the standing position versus one shot from the bench.

EDIT

I had to enlarge the photo, now I see.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
There's nothing better than a .22 to practice technique. You can pop off thousands of rounds and not break the bank. Practice grasshopper...you're off to a good start.
^^^ This.
The money you save in ammo (assuming you can find it) will pay for a nice Ruger 10/22 in no time flat. Every firearm owner should have one. Otherwise, a .22 upper for your AR or a separate S&W M&P15 22 will give you the same muscle memory.
Either way, an excellent choice for developing your fundamentals.
Trigger control.
Breathing.
Sight picture.
Cheek weld.
Practice, practice, practice!
Enjoy Brother! One more slippery slope! 👍😆

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I hate shooting .22. That's just me though. It is good practice. You should look into a local carbine class. Ive been to several and I'm addicted to finding more training opportunities.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0

This is 50 yds 20 rounds with iron sites 10 bench 10 standing. I'm new to rifles. I'm guessing this is ok. I'd like to get it to 3 inches with the iron sights and then go to scopes. Opinions? Suggestions?
"...Very American. Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target."

"If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all."
-allan quartermain The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

JK, hell on a good day I'm an ok shot. best advice has already been given. Another thing you can do is have a buddy record you while you shoot to help you pick up on things you may not realize your doing wrong

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
In the service they would have us practice dry firing while balancing a coin (or other object) on the barrel. Your breathing and trigger press should never cause it to fall off. Something you can do at home. (obviosly, with an unloaded gun, but always verify, ALWAYS. And, better yet, no ammo even in the room. A great practice idea is to have a room that is off limits to all ammunition to dry fire in. But still, treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Be aware of what is in the room beyond where you're aiming. I know, not a safety thread, but had to jump up on that soapbox if you're doing any sort of practice at home...)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well said cgraunke, you can never preach firearm safety too much. And yes those were good drills they had us do to learn a good trigger squeeze. From what I have seen; and I am no expert; is that when you have rounds spread around like that it is trigger pull (aka not squeezing) or losing sight picture. To do a proper trigger squeeze you should have the end of your finger on the the trigger. And like mentioned, breathing is key as well.

Also, its unAmerican not to own a .22
And a 10/22 is a great one. I have had mine since I was 12 (now 35) and its still great.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I'll take a rifle class. I can put a "ragged hole" in the target scoped. But creating the same site pic over and over that far out on iron sites obviously isnt working for me. And I want to be a beast with the iron sights first. Thanks for all the advice.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
w/ 150 rnds under your belt, you're just about ready to pop your cherry. You're still a newb and can't judge your precision w/ what you've done yet. You need practice, more practice and then some more. Learn to hold a tight sight window, shoot w/ both eyes open with iron sights and learn trigger pull. A shooting coach will have your precision dialed in after a few sessions.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Seriously, sign up for Johnny Apple Seed. They'll teach you infinitely more about marksmanship than any tactical wanna-be soldier class.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
Lol thanks I'll look into it. I'm going from the ground up. My ego is not in the way. I recognize when i need to learn properly. I'm not new to shooting just to rifles. And I definitely know I need to put in the reps on the ar. I'm thinkin a shoot/herf is in order as well seeing all these enthusiasts lol