What's new

rockets or real

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey everyone, my sincerest apologies for being so tardy in getting this posted up. Life has been absolute chaos lately and I've barely had an online presence even on the sites that I help run.

Anyway, this cigar was an attractive and large maduro cigar. It was very dense and firm with some veins and an oily sheen to it.

The prelight smell was of cinnamon and leather and the prelight draw was very similar, but with more sweetness to it.

It lit easily and right off the bat I got a very solid flavor of pepper and dark chocolate. It remained this way for a while and got a bit sweeter around the 2nd 3rd. It took on a toasted flavor and eventually I picked up on some black coffee.

Unfortunately, the draw was very tight and try as I might I couldn't get it to work for me. While I was getting some good flavors for a while, I had to really work at it and the smoke production was terrible. It was very thin. After working at it for a an hour or so I think I pushed it too much and I got a very potent sour taste, which reminded me of a bad carrot actually.

I tried using a draw poker that I had and it helped for a brief bit and the cigar became much better. I was thoroughly enjoying it, but it plugged again in short order and I couldn't get it to stay working well. I didn't actually finish this cigar, but I think I just got unlucky with the sample that I had and that it had potential to be very enjoyable.

It is a cigar I would definitely try again and if I didn't run into any construction issues and got those good flavors that I picked up on, I would keep some in my humidor. I can't say off of this one sample how much I would pay or how many I'd keep, but I would revisit it without doubt.

I couldn't tell you exactly what this was, but my guess is that it's mainly Nicaraguan in origin.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to do this experiment and, again, I apologize for being so long in getting my final review up. I appreciate everyone's patience.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
so , we'll call group one done as nate is back in japan. you can see that the choices and reviews were all over the place. a quick reminder of the sticks:
1 LG lancero
2 187 esteban carraras
3 Juan lopez #1
and drum roll for number 4, which seemed to be well liked...................tatuaje ff miami!

so, conclusions by the participants as to what were their favorites and does price/brand make a difference??????

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Round 2 - Cigar No.4

Finally, after constant rain and tornado warnings, I get a beautiful day to smoke cigars. 75 degrees, sunny, with a light breeze. Perfect.

Cigar No. 4 had a reddish-brown wrapper and a light sheen of oil and prominent veins. It had plenty of give when squeezed, worrying me that it'd have a loose draw... which it did. The prelight was straight tobacco.

The first third was uneventful. The first few puffs gave me nothing but standard tobacco and a slight bitterness on the finish. The slightly loose draw put off a ton of smoke, but I had to be careful because it started to run hot.

Into the second third, Cigar No. 4 got more interesting... The bitterness went away and the creamy smoke covered my palate, leaving flavors of oak and a very mild pepper note. It was like a white pepper flavor, it would come and go between puffs. The burn has been superb. Cigar No. 4 never required a touch up, and the ash held on for almost two inches.

Nearing the final third the white pepper note increased in its intesity and presence. It was there for every puff. Then, once we got into the last third, it went into the background. It was like, "Hello... now bye." The oak flavors were still there, only now accompanied by roasted nuts.

All in all it was an average smoke. When I first received this cigar from Bob, I immediately thought to myself it looked exactly like a Partagas Serie D No. 4. In fact, I put it up against one and studied them both -- pretty similar. If it was a PSD4, then it had the best burn yet of any I've smoked (and I've smoked my fair share of them). That being said, if it was indeed a PSD4, then it had the dullest flavors of any I've smoked.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
All in all it was an average smoke. When I first received this cigar from Bob, I immediately thought to myself it looked exactly like a Partagas Serie D No. 4. In fact, I put it up against one and studied them both -- pretty similar. If it was a PSD4, then it had the best burn yet of any I've smoked (and I've smoked my fair share of them). That being said, if it was indeed a PSD4, then it had the dullest flavors of any I've smoked.

I was about to say... that first picture immediately struck me as a PSD4! There's just something about that wrapper...

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
This thread has been pretty awesome to follow, thanks for doing this!!

So, is there going to be a round 3? Summer break is just about to start at my college, and I'm getting to the point where I'd at least like to try doing a few amateur reviews... Sorry if this seems shameless, but this has been really fun to watch happen and I'd love to be part of it!

Cheers!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
havent' posted #3 yet in case clint gets off his old man deathbed and is able to smoke it. notice how the "experienced" smokers in both rounds have been the feet draggers???:hanghead:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
so it appears this is in need of wrapping up. clint and nate, if and when you get time, i'd still like to see reviews of the cigars you still have posted here. would be interesting to see your thoughts compared to the others that have been posted. maybe you don't peek to see what they actually are!
and the last reveal, which would be the beli in group 2............ it was a la sirena!
there you have it! all have been accounted for. it is interesting to me that there was a major disparity on the cc's of the group. also interesting was the pretty much unanimous opinions on the 187, which was the cheapest stick in the group.
thanks guys for participating in this and hopefully everyone learned a little something. might try and do another round, but hopefully later when everyone can participate!
thanks again,
bob

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Thanks, again, Bob for doing this! I really enjoyed seeing people's differing/similar views on these sticks. Was fascinating to keep up with. It was an awesome idea. Hope you do it again, sometime in the future!
Thanks!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
A million thanks Bob! I really enjoyed doing this, it was fun trying to figure out what I was burning. Hopefully people enjoyed reading it just as much.