What's new

RoMa Craft Aquitaine Review - CoM Jan 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
~Anthropology~

I usually like to give a cigar a good once-over before lighting it, especially if it's new to me, which this one was. The band stands out as unique, if not a little hard to read. (The logo is ink printed but the name is only embossed.) What really grabbed my attention when I picked it up was the Ecuadorian Habano wrapper itself. It's really thick and has a supple leathery texture. I don't do cold draws...I only care what it tastes like when it's on fire.

First draw was heavy. I knew immediately I was going to need to buckle up for this one. It opens with a nice pop of peppery spice, & a rich cedar woodiness. A little over an inch in it settles a bit. The spice is still present, but moves to the background. I don't get much at all on the finish or retro.

Around the halfway point now & the cedar is still there. There's a strong leather component, a smooth earthy flavor, & a sweetness that moves to the forefront. Through the nose is smooth & highly recommended. Flavors & strength are full.

It finishes with a return of the spice to the front of the mix. The leather's still strong & the earth can't be ignored. Sweetness at this point takes a back seat.

If you enjoy big, full body & strength smokes, this one must be on your list. I don't buy many boxes, but I will of these. It hit my palate's sweet spot. It's rich, but smooth with no harshness or flavor imbalance whatsoever.

**Famous has boxes on sale right now. I also had a 17% off code on top of it and just picked one up for $130.**

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Not really a review, but I smoked a couple of the knuckle draggers this month because that's what I had on hand. For some reason I've always gotten a sea salt flavor from this smoke. Note that I've never given this stick the proper attention for a review; it's just what has always stood out to me about this one. Like the salt aspect of a sea salt and caramel ice cream.

I know the month is almost over, but I may have to sit down with another one and see what else I can get from it, and maybe figure out if this sea salt flavor is more in my head than anything...

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Removed cellophane and the sniff test was awesome. Even with the winds blowing at my back the odor coming off the length of the stick got me high with anticipation. The wrapper is beautiful, nary a seam and a perfect cap.

Clipped the cap and the cold draw was berries and nuts. Draw seems good and now it's time to toast the foot and dive right in.

Beverage is Noah's Water

First Third:

The stick is putting out smoke like a chimney. I am met with white pepper in abundance with a hint of Black Cherry. After the first inch or so I am still waiting to detect some complexity. Trying to hold out. Power is beginning to mellow somewhat and I am picking up some very faint Walnuts.

I can tell this stick is young and in need of some significant downtime. For it's ripe with potential.

Burn line is perfect, smoke output is awesome!

Second Third:

Ash is still holding on and try as it might, the stick is still pretty much one dimensional. Power & Black Cherry. Truly for me, this is not doing it. However, for the sake of review, I am taking at least the second third for the team.

Wait... Is that licorice? Yes brothers, I think it is. It took me to almost ash myself to find it but, once again, this young stick is brandishing some promise.

It took a while but the complexity has finally arrived. While not overwhelming, the flavor a have melted into a medium espresso with a taste of charred butter.

Final Third & Final Thoughts:

Not sure it was worth the wait as the cigar settled into a simple Black Cherry and black butter coffee meh experience. Truly needs some rest time and not a stick I'd offer a newbie for a couple of reasons. I promise to revisit this stick in three months and six months before deciding if it's box worthy.

My chief concern here is that there are too many great sticks that I'd grab before choosing or recommending this.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk