What's new

RyJ Cazadores

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Date: 11/30/14

Review: Romeo y Julieta Cazadores
Size: 43Rg, 6 1/3"
Smoking Environment:
Garage, -2 outside, A Bronco's win just got my head right.

Wrapper: Cuban
Binder: Cuban
Filler: Cuban

Appearance/construction:
Beautiful milk chocolate brown, with a few noticeable soft spots. Ring gauge seems to diminish slightly about 5/8th of the way from foot to head.

Aroma Pre-Light:
Chocolate and cedar, Cuban tobacco

Cold draw:
Same

Light:
Uneventful.

First impression:
Cuban tobacco... Not much else

Appearance/construction:
Beautiful milk chocolate brown, with a few noticeable soft spots. Ring gauge seems to diminish slightly about 5/8th of the way from foot to head.

Aroma Pre-Light:
Chocolate and cedar, Cuban tobacco

Cold draw:
Same

Light:
Uneventful.

First impression:
Cuban tobacco... Not much else

Aroma Post-Light: ""

First Third:
Little cedar, mostly tobacco, touch of cream after few puffs. Smoking like a train.

Second Third:
At this point my taste buds are overwhelmed with tobacco. Slight burn issues that require mild touch ups. Stick putting out copious amounts of smoke. Starting to get a nice oilyness.

Final Third:
Towards end of last third and into this one I'm noticing subtle changes but way to subtle for my tobacco hammered and inexperienced buds to be able to distinguish. Oil continues. Tons of smoke until it stops all of a sudden. Try resuscitating twice but lose battle. Picking up slight bitterness (but not unpleasant) and what is that? dill pickle!, when I put this monster down. OK, maybe that is hiccup that gave dill pickle from dinner. Always first sign for me that I'm getting one hell of a dose of nicotine (the hiccup, that is). ....I'm going inside to warm toes and try this again later...( ...zzzzzz).

Overall Impression/Final Notes: I know this stick isn't going to score super high but it was enjoyable to smoke and exactly as advertised. Will it get better with age? I'll leave that for someone with the experience to say....
Thanks to StogieBear for the template. I can see already it is going to hold me to a higher standard and increase my reviewing skills.

Smoke time: ?
Scoring:

Appearance and Presentation: 18/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 11/15
Construction Properties: 24/30
Taste Properties: 27/35

Total: 80/100

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
These are one of my favorites, but only if they have to have a couple of years on them before smoking. They can really beat you up when they are green.
Thanks KingPin. See how I did that... Got a review done and got a Noob question answered... Good Noob... Ggggooooddd

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
These are one of my favorites, but only if they have to have a couple of years on them before smoking. They can really beat you up when they are green.
Have you tried a fresh one like 2013? Much more approachable young than in years past when you had to lay them down for a long nap. I smoke these when I'm in the mood for a full cigar (doesn't happen that often though)

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
yup. one of the sticks i pick when i want something that is a little more "in your face" in a cc. have yet to try one with extended age, but i have a suspicion they would still pack a bit of a punch

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Have you tried a fresh one like 2013? Much more approachable young than in years past when you had to lay them down for a long nap. I smoke these when I'm in the mood for a full cigar (doesn't happen that often though)
I have not tried anything newer. The ones I had were from 2010 and once I started smoking them I went through them pretty quickly. I keep telling myself I should order more, but always see something else I want and before long the budget is shot.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I smoked another of these yesterday and think I owe this review an update because my experience was completely different. Maybe a little longer in dry box helped but I think mostly I'm looking for a wider array of flavors. First 1/3 was definitely grassy/herbal. 2nd 1/3: herbal at first gave way to touch of cream and started to get oily. Last1/3: Seriously oily! Oil brings some meatiness into play. Towards end couple puffs bring back herbal/ grass. Throughout entire stick was a RICH tobacco taste!
Had some construction issues (cracked wrapper) that was probably exasperated by smoking while driving. Unable to nub completely because of this...with an inch to go started burning like a torch and immediately became hot...chucked it with regret. This was a very good smoke!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked one of these a week ago. Good smoke, but had a plug in it about mid cigar. Once I worked through it though, it definitely got better. Just a quick question, when you talk about oil, do you mean in taste? When I read your review, was unsure about this.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Thanks for the review

Interesting. I was under the impression that they needed downtime, maybe I need to open that box of 13 I have and see.

I smoked a few of these a few years back that had no bands and was told they were a few years old and I thought they were great. Really like the size and was a big fan of the Tatuaje Cazadore so this was one I sought out and then reviewed the 2 side by side. I have to give it to the RyJ by a slim bargain just because the profile developed as it smoked a bit more.

Reading my review again makes me miss that deck and makes me want to crack that box open! http://www.botl.org/threads/cazadore-battle-review.38185/

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for the review

Interesting. I was under the impression that they needed downtime, maybe I need to open that box of 13 I have and see.

I smoked a few of these a few years back that had no bands and was told they were a few years old and I thought they were great. Really like the size and was a big fan of the Tatuaje Cazadore so this was one I sought out and then reviewed the 2 side by side. I have to give it to the RyJ by a slim bargain just because the profile developed as it smoked a bit more.

Reading my review again makes me miss that deck and makes me want to crack that box open! http://www.botl.org/threads/cazadore-battle-review.38185/
I just looked @box code of those I have and it is GA T Mar 13. I think these are some of the best smoking CCs I have currently, along with BCJ and HUHC. The Cazes I have are strong as hell but I'm not getting any of the stranger soap/ammonia flavors...basically they are smoking exactly as advertised. I only have 7 left so I'm staying out of them for a bit just to see what they are like with a bit of sleep.
Have you opened your box from'13 yet? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts that are based on a lot more experience. Also, the last time I smoked one I had a mild sinus infection that was undiagnosed at the time. Wow.... What a pepper bomb on retro-hale this Caz was, lmao. Later I figured out what was going on, but I still look back at this smoke as an enjoyable one.... One of the few CCs I've nubbed lately.
And I'm not complaining one bit.... In a year or two I hope to have a collection of some excellent smokes. Plus it has been a great learning experience... I still find it hard to believe how far my cigar world has come in just 9 short months! All of this is because of this great site and all the great brothers around here!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Thanks for the review

http://www.botl.org/threads/cazadore-battle-review.38185/
This was the very same reason I sought these out too. I've loved them.