What's new

Sampling Scotchs

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have been trying out some scotchs the past couple of months and have a couple of questions.

1. Is it advisable to taste scotchs side by side (I understand the palet can be very delicate)?

2. I am started out with Johnny Walker Red, now I have a bottle of Glenlivet 15, and a Bottle of Macallen 12 year old. What are some of the next steps I can take to broaden my experience.

3. I know some of the websites can be bias, Is there a good site (as good as this is for cigars, maybe a Brothers of the Barrel type of site)?

4. And what are some of the favorites of the bothers?

Thank you in advance.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
This is my two cents:

Most importantly, single malt only!!! Next, different regions have distinctly different flavors. Age deffinately matters. Lastly, be prepared to drop some serious dough on some well aged bottles.

My favorite mid range price ($50 - $75 - that is as high is I go) is a toss up between Glenrothes 1991, Lagavulin 16 year old, and Clynelish. All have distinct flavors, but pleasing and peaty. Darker in color and very full bodied.

My daily drink (although I have been on a bourbon kick lately) has to be the Glenlivet 12 year old (25 - 30 bucks around here). this is the most contant bottle you can buy in my opinion. Very fresh and fruity. Slight peatyness, but as smooth as a babys bottom.

I have not had many high end scothes because I would rather have a high end cigar and unfortunately I cannot swing both, but with my limmited experience, my favorite that I have tried so far is definately the Macallan 21 year old ($200 + a bottle).

One question, how are you drinking your scotch? I only drink it neat myself.

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I actually add a tiny ice cube to open up the flavors of my scotch.

As noted above, different regions have very distinct flavor profiles. I think it's pretty difficult to have a peaty single malt from Islay and then move to a Highlands malt. Kind of like smoking a mild cigar after a strong one.

I'd hook up with a friend or a friendly bartender and try to arrange single malt tasting flights by region. Compare the various Speysides and find one you like. Do the same with the other primary regions. Buy a bottle of the ones you like most.

A few other comments. First, you can't compare a Macallan 12 to an 18 or a cask strength or a Fine Oak - they are all different animals. So, you can't make a generalization about liking Macallan by only trying one bottle. Same with comparing an 18 yr bottle from one distillery to one from another. Second, a scotch finished in a sherry or port cask takes on a very different flavor - read the entire label carefully. Also, price plays a significant role.

A good website to start you is http://www.maltmadness.com/beginners.html

Cheers!

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I actually add a tiny ice cube to open up the flavors of my scotch.

As noted above, different regions have very distinct flavor profiles. I think it's pretty difficult to have a peaty single malt from Islay and then move to a Highlands malt. Kind of like smoking a mild cigar after a strong one.

I'd hook up with a friend or a friendly bartender and try to arrange single malt tasting flights by region. Compare the various Speysides and find one you like. Do the same with the other primary regions. Buy a bottle of the ones you like most.

A few other comments. First, you can't compare a Macallan 12 to an 18 or a cask strength or a Fine Oak - they are all different animals. So, you can't make a generalization about liking Macallan by only trying one bottle. Same with comparing an 18 yr bottle from one distillery to one from another. Second, a scotch finished in a sherry or port cask takes on a very different flavor - read the entire label carefully. Also, price plays a significant role.

A good website to start you is http://www.maltmadness.com/beginners.html

Cheers!
Good post, Matthew. There are many nuances to single malts. Real men drink 10 year old Laphroaig, although Tedski would tell you that it should have a skull and crossbones on the label. . .:nodlaugh:

One must decide whether one likes the Highlands, Speysides, Islay or something from the other regions. I tend to like the strong, medicinal peat flavors from the Islay malts. Lagavulin cannot be beat, IMHO. . .Although I always keep a bottle of the wild and wooley Laphroaig. . .:grin:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I can appreciate both single malts and blends, but give the JW Red to the next homeless guy you see, he'll love it. I live for Macallan 18 yr, but the 12yr is more affordable. This can be an expensive hobby like cigars, but the fun is trying all of them.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow! We have some informed scotchies here. All excellent points. The ice cube or small amount of water really opens up the scotch. try this. Pour the drink, smell it. Put a very little water in it. Smell it. You'll be amazed.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I usually drink my speysides & highlands neat, but Laphroaig 10y/o needs a good splash of water for my tastes. Laugavulin 18 is a very nice Islay that needs no help at all.

As a rule, I do not like to cross link one board for another, but CigarPass has an excellent thread for reviews by a guy I like to call a serious collector.
Ray's Scotch reviews

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I usually drink my speysides & highlands neat, but Laphroaig 10y/o needs a good splash of water for my tastes. Laugavulin 18 is a very nice Islay that needs no help at all.

As a rule, I do not like to cross link one board for another, but CigarPass has an excellent thread for reviews by a guy I like to call a serious collector.
Ray's Scotch reviews

There is more information there than I can digest in one sitting. He should organize into a book.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I tend towards Islay single malts myself....there are several, but Laphroaig and Laugavulin are the two that are easily attainable and relatively affordable--at least, in the younger ones.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
1. Is it advisable to taste scotchs side by side (I understand the palet can be very delicate)?

Personally, I wouldn't. I reccomend tasting your Scotches one bottle, one, or two, glasses at a time. Taste one Scotch one night and taste another on a different night. That way you can really focus on the characteristics of that one particular bottle. I like my first taste of a new Scotch to be neat and then add ice cubes slowly. I have found some Scotches are best with one cube, others with two, and others wth none.

2. I am started out with Johnny Walker Red, now I have a bottle of Glenlivet 15, and a Bottle of Macallen 12 year old. What are some of the next steps I can take to broaden my experience.

I haven't liked any of the blended Scotches I have tried. To me, they are too complex and I dislike them for that reason, the same goes for red wines. There is just too much going on when you taste them. You are progressing in pretty much the same sequence I did. If you like that smokey hint in the Glenlivet try some Talisker. I have only had the 18, but it is a perfectly complimentary combination of highland/Speyside approachability and coastal peatiness. Some other good ones I tried early on are Craggenmore, Balvenie Double Wood, and for some smokiness Bowmore.

3. I know some of the websites can be bias, Is there a good site (as good as this is for cigars, maybe a Brothers of the Barrel type of site)?

I haven't found any one singular site but there is tons of info out there if you look for it. The best companion I have found is Michael Jackson's (no, not THAT Micheal Jackson) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Definitive-World-Michael-Jackson/dp/0789497107"]"Whiskey: The Definitive Guide"[/ame]. It has a ton of info on Bourbon too.

4. And what are some of the favorites of the bothers?

I honestly like every Scotch I have ever tasted so far. It took me well over a year of conditioning to be able to drink straight whiskey but I now have 11 different bottles of Scotch and 15 bottles of Bourbon. If I had to choose one Scotch to drink forever it would be Talisker 18.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I generally like an Islay with a single ice cube, but some of the JW blends are good too, my favorite being a chilled bottle of johnny gold. I wouldn't do side by side tastings, but if you do be sure to have a glass of water to drink in between to help cleanse the palate so you can better taste the differences between the two drinks. Have fun trying a few out.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I keep it light and try to do no more than 2 drams of anything. If I do sample different drams, they are usually from the same region- Islay, Speyside, HIghland, Lowland, Island or Campbeltown...but I don't mix regions because of the inherent taste differences.