What's new

Schwarzenegger Praises Border Volunteers

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Kids learn languages so fast. I would think it would be a great skill to speak several languages. Your children would have a really easy time traveling in Spain or Central/South America. Kids easily have the capacity to learn several languages, so I don't think the Spanish is "pushing out" the English. But I can also understand not wanting your kids to talk about you to others in Spanish!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
BTW, no one is more bothered by illegal immigration than legal immigrants.
I should know, my family moved to the US when I was 5. It took 15 years and many many INS screwups to get my citizenship. And I believe legal immigrants can be the most patriotic of all citizens, because they had to really want to be a citizen to go through all of the INS hoops ( I've got some crazy stories...). Some people take things like voting for granted just because they're born here. I still have the voting stub from my first election. I can't blame the people, because they want a better life, but still to think what my family went through in order to do things the right way.
As for language: I picked up English, the way most people learn swimming: by just jumping in. Kids learn fast, and I'm a firm beliver in immersion. I can still speak my native language (not as well as I would like), but there's no way I would get to be where I am without an excellent command of English (not having an accent has also helped). Sorry for the rant.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
allanf said:
Funny how I live in Los Angeles and have never had a problem with being understood anywhere I go, shop, etc....And I don't speak a word of descent Spanish.
Take a trip down to southern texas and you'll see what I'm talking about.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Kingston, Youa re an example of why peopel who enter the counrty LEAGALY, can be good for our country. You pay your taxes,pay car insurance,obey laws and so forth.

In our town here, a large percentage of the doctors are foriegn.
They go to medical school here and are assigned to rurual towns where many american born doctors do not want to go to. If the foriegn born doctors agree to a certain time of service at rural areas they are helped with the student loans. That is the only way some small towns would have doctors.
Yet still some of the backwoods hillbilly podunks around here still bitch about having to see a forigener in the emergengy room.
I think they supply a valuable service to our town.
We even have one a world reknown brain and nerve surgeon here in this town. He is a great man, and is looked upon as wonderful leader in our community. we are very lucky to have him here.

But the farmers around here hire a bunch of illegals to work the farms and pay them in cash. They dont pay taxes, they dont get licences, they dont get insurance. They just do what they want and say the hell with our laws and the people that enforce them.

The farmers are as much to blame.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
allanf said:
The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
11-03-1883 by Emma Lazarus, Daughter of Wealthy
parents born and raised in New York.

A Beautiful sentiment written by a Non-Imigrant Marxist sympathiser.
It makes no mention of a Free Ride to anyone, anywhere in the text.

Next Year the Lady De Libertie will celebrate 120 years in New York Harbor. 1883 when this was written it was in a Very different Time and situation in America.

Romantic Prose to be sure, but certainly not designed as an excuse to illegally invade The United States.

I have Zero Issues with Legal Imigrants from ANY Country!

The rest has been stated,

Group discourse is Good!

Slack

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's sad that our own people have become too lazy to take those jobs. My great grandparents did whatever they needed to do to survive. Most people did that without complaining 50 years ago. Now we're fat, lazy and too good to work for minimum wage. I know that's not much but the cost of living would balance out if we didn't have so many people out of work that can actually work. I've seen both sides of the job fence and we have many many migrant workers around us during the warm months that are doing things we should be doing.

I'm not at all against LEGAL immigrants, but I am 100% against ILLEGAL immigrants.

I wish we'd put the national guard on the borders but that's just me... :)