What's new

Scotch recomendation

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Hahahaha I was shooting some scotch with the nikon tonight and took this. Didn't really like the shots I got but after seeing this thread I had to post this!!! :cbig:

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm leaning toward the Caribbean Cask over the Port... but the jury is still out. I'm going to need to do more research. :bottle::bottle::bottle:
I got your research right here :assaultri

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 Yr Old Single Malt: $50 a bottle

Balvenie Portwood 21 Yr Old Single Malt: $150 a bottle

Now which do you think might be better? :bottle::bottle::bottle:

LOL

JVB

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ardbeg Uigeadail, Balvenie Double Wood, Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength, Oban 14... I feel like you guys are describing the scotch side of my liquor cabinet. Although I'd have to add Lagavulin 16 and Bunnahabhain 25.

As for you however, BigFoot - maybe try the Balvenie Portwood 21 mentioned above, as well as Bruichladdich 15, Glenfarclas 25, Cragganmore 29

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I got your research right here :assaultri

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 Yr Old Single Malt: $50 a bottle

Balvenie Portwood 21 Yr Old Single Malt: $150 a bottle

Now which do you think might be better? :bottle::bottle::bottle:

LOL
HA HA! I had no idea...

Its a good thing that on the night I had both, I wasn't buying... I'll note this in my "report" (and be sure to return my buddy's favor next time we go drinkin').

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love Balvenie scotches. The Caribbean cask is some different and very good. I was fortunate enough to have a glass of the 30yr about a week or so ago, absolutely incredible.

The standard single malt and the Double Wood are excellent as well.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Some good recommendations in here! Bros really know their malts!

Balvenie DoubleWood and Glenfarclas 15 are probably my go-tos for the easy-drinking, smooth scotches. The 'Farc is a little bit heavier in body, but the balvenie has that nice honey thing going on. I'd also highly recommend "Farc at the 105 proof if you can find it. Bit more bite, but a ridiculously long finish (think Van Winkle) and really heady stuff.

If you're feeling like that smokey/medicinal thing, I personally prefer Ardbeg to Laphroaig (more body behind the Islay zing), and Lagavulin 16 or distiller's edition (not really worth the extra $15, but it depends on who you ask) if you want some brine with your peat.

But seriously, bang for the buck AND maybe overall, I think that Highland Park is something you need to try. Down here, 12y is $37-40, 15y is $65 and 18y is about $90, and the 12 and 18 are just about as good as you can drink in those price brackets. For me, they've got a little bit of every flavor I'm looking to get when I reach for a scotch. There's wood, sweet malty honey, smoke, salt, iodine, fruit, spice - it's a one-man band! Seriously, the 12 will really impress you for the price (and if you can find a holiday pack, they have a 50ml of the 18 in there) and the 18 is one of the best whiskys in the world, IMO.

Have fun, and let us know what you end up with!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With cigars, you smoke what you like, but over time you figure what people or reviewers have similar taste. I have found scotch is similar, and ralfy.com is dead on with his reviews (for me).

He gave the new bruichladdich 10 laddie 10 90 points, so that's my next one. Shopper's Vineyard has it for $50.

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=P&resultCnt=40&keyword=10+laddie&testFocus=0

Speaking of shopper's vineyard, they seem to always have the best price on Ardbeg 10 of $42. I've seen people list the other expressions of Ardbeg, but I love me some 10 year.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Anyone else like Ledaig 10? For about $45/bottle here, it is a nice smooth & salty that I don't mind paring with just about anything (but then again, I only started to pay attention to scotches about a year ago).

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
i don't drink scotch, but i heard that scotch from Japan is different.
It is. Suntory Yamazaki 18 is great stuff. It has notes of ginger in it. Imagine a whiskey that pairs with sushi...or cigarettes. Taking a long time to relax and smoke a cigar is very un-Japanese, so the whiskey there is more...um...versatile. Not better than say... Islays, just very different.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
But seriously, bang for the buck AND maybe overall, I think that Highland Park is something you need to try. Down here, 12y is $37-40, 15y is $65 and 18y is about $90, and the 12 and 18 are just about as good as you can drink in those price brackets. For me, they've got a little bit of every flavor I'm looking to get when I reach for a scotch. There's wood, sweet malty honey, smoke, salt, iodine, fruit, spice - it's a one-man band! Seriously, the 12 will really impress you for the price (and if you can find a holiday pack, they have a 50ml of the 18 in there) and the 18 is one of the best whiskys in the world, IMO.

Have fun, and let us know what you end up with!
Thank you for the reco! I read some reviews and Highland Park 18 is definitely on my short list of stuff to try!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is. Suntory Yamazaki 18 is great stuff. It has notes of ginger in it. Imagine a whiskey that pairs with sushi...or cigarettes. Taking a long time to relax and smoke a cigar is very un-Japanese, so the whiskey there is more...um...versatile. Not better than say... Islays, just very different.
For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQnH450hPM&feature=related"]Suntory Time! - Lost in Translation (1/10) Movie CLIP (2003) HD - YouTube[/ame]

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I wish I could afford half of the Scotch you guys are talking about here in Canada.

Also you may want to add Glenrothes 91' and 85' to the list if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I dunno if it was mentioned yet but Bowmore 12 has been on my short list of what to grab lately. Absolutely delicious!

Cheers :ccool:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Most Scotch over here is really pricey, but I found a family-owned grey-market shop that has some reasonable prices.

Because of that, if found the first two "peaty" malts that I've really liked (prior to this ive been a Speyside man, with an occasional Highland malt):
Ardbeg 10 and Talisker 10

Both are really tasty, and while smokey, it's not what I'd call tanic or harsh like some other peaty malts.