What's new

Scotch Reviews

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
How much a bottle does this go for near you? I havent seen it here in NH one I would like to try.

Balvenie 17yo Madeira Cask notes:

Nose: Honey, apricot, and a madeira aroma

Palate: Honey and oak (a solid Balvenie start), coupled with dark wine flavors from the Madeira - specifically dark berries, such as cherry and raspberry, as well as apricot and peaches. Very fruity, but more of a dry sweetness - probably influenced by the oak.

Finish: Oak (again, true to Balvenie form) is the dominate finishing note. The wine lingers into the oak flavor.

I do really like this, but I think I like the Rum Cask more. Different types of sweetness between the two, and both are good. For the casual Balvenie fan, I think this deserves at least one bottle, with two bottles for the Rum Cask.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Glenmorangie Lasanta

--Paired with an NHC Surrogates

Color: A dark rose, clear, gets only a bit cloudy with a few drops of water

Nose: Sherry! Loads of sherry. Smells sweet like honey, rich, with a touch of fruit and maybe caramel.

Taste: Sweet. If there is such a thing as a dessert Scotch, this is it! This is viscus , with rich and strong sherry flavor. There is also a caramel / honey note (I think that's what the sweetness is). There is some fruit there, but I couldn't detect it until a bit of water was added.

Finish: Surpassingly sweet. I find it wonderful! In terms of sherry-finish Scotch, this is the strongest "sherry" I've tasted, even more than the Macallan. The finish is crisp and refreshing, and lingers. The alcohol quality is also pretty strong. This Lasanta is also bringing out some sweetness in this cigar that I've never seen before.

Value: In terms of cost, this one is pricey for me. It's more than the Macallan 12-year, but I also like it more than that. Honestly, for me this competes with the Macallan 18, though that is smoother and more complex. But since I can't afford to drink the Mac 18 often, this is my surrogate.

Overall: This is an amazing dram. Honestly, this is one of my favorite single malts, period. Though in fairness, I'm a Glenmo ho :) I know it's a finished Scotch and some consider those a different genre, but regardless I find this stuff to be pure nectar. I'm sure the sweetness will be extreme for a lot of people, but I love sweet drinks.

Score: 95

Last edited:

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
How much a bottle does this go for near you? I havent seen it here in NH one I would like to try.
should be around $110 to $130, depending upon where you find it. I think this one came out about 3 years ago - it was a release or two after the 17yo Rum Cask. Release price was about $90 but everything is going up, right? You can still find these here and there, a couple of shops near me have it and I bet it can be ordered online.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
should be around $110 to $130, depending upon where you find it. I think this one came out about 3 years ago - it was a release or two after the 17yo Rum Cask. Release price was about $90 but everything is going up, right? You can still find these here and there, a couple of shops near me have it and I bet it can be ordered online.
Thanks I have had most of them (cante remember if this was at the whiskey show I hit up) got a half bottle of portwood sitting in my cabinet now. That is a great scotch the nose reaks of port its really nice if you havent had it yet.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I would be happy to write a review. I can review Glenlivet 18 and Johnny Walker Black either tonight or tomorrow. Good luck on the project!

I try to avoid blended Scotch at all costs. I have never found one that was any good.
Typically I agree but I love Johnny Walker Black for some reason.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Glenmorangie Lasanta

--Paired with an NHC Surrogates

Color: A dark rose, clear, gets only a bit cloudy with a few drops of water

Nose: Sherry! Loads of sherry. Smells sweet like honey, rich, with a touch of fruit and maybe caramel.

Taste: Sweet. If there is such a thing as a dessert Scotch, this is it! This is viscus , with rich and strong sherry flavor. There is also a caramel / honey note (I think that's what the sweetness is). There is some fruit there, but I couldn't detect it until a bit of water was added.

Finish: Surpassingly sweet. I find it wonderful! In terms of sherry-finish Scotch, this is the strongest "sherry" I've tasted, even more than the Macallan. The finish is crisp and refreshing, and lingers. The alcohol quality is also pretty strong. This Lasanta is also bringing out some sweetness in this cigar that I've never seen before.

Value: In terms of cost, this one is pricey for me. It's more than the Macallan 12-year, but I also like it more than that. Honestly, for me this competes with the Macallan 18, though that is smoother and more complex. But since I can't afford to drink the Mac 18 often, this is my surrogate.

Overall: This is an amazing dram. Honestly, this is one of my favorite single malts, period. Though in fairness, I'm a Glenmo ho :) I know it's a finished Scotch and some consider those a different genre, but regardless I find this stuff to be pure nectar. I'm sure the sweetness will be extreme for a lot of people, but I love sweet drinks.

Score: 95
If you like this, you need to try the glenmorangie sonnalta px. It is amazing!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Alright
So, I finally had some time to sit and enjoy a glass of scotch and put enough of my brain power into thinking about it (opposed to "scotch yum..") so here is my review, forgive me if I do not follow all the proper review formats I don't always write reviews...

Laphroaig 10 yr cask strength 55.3% alcohol content.
I purchased this bottle for 49.95 + tax at my local liquor store.
The color is a golden strawish or light caramel.
The nose is strong you can smell the higher alcohol level for sure. After you get past that it is slightly musky and vegetal. I get a lot of wet charcoal and wood hints as well.
When tasting the first sip is always strong. Once my pallet adjusts tho the flavors really open up a lot. Tons of peat which gives it a very nice medicinal taste. A little bit of campfire or smoldering coals with hints of strong dark smoke. There is a definite caramel like sweetness as well. Some light vegetal or mossy wet grass like notes as well on the palate. Very warm finish heat stays with me for quite a while after each sip, makes me want more.
This is a scotch best sipped slowly and preferably with a bold smokey cigar IMHO. I really enjoy islay scotches and while I know they aren't for everyone this is one of my regulars in the liquor cabinet.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Thanks to OrangeDog, NJStone and Fat_Risling for the reviews. I put all 3 names in a hat and picked one out.

and the winner is ............

fat_risling - PM me you address and I will get something out early next week.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Wow, did not expect to win just enjoyed actually sitting down and doing my first full fledged scotch review.
Pm sent
And thanX again for the contest Brotha enjoyed myself and let us know how it all turns out.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Got this package yesterday and couldn't open till now was killing me all day...

Bottle of scotch and some body guards
Thank you brother truly destroyed my mail box and my living room when I tore it open!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341104489.180760.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341104514.966959.jpg