What's new

Seasoning Humidor

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over 2 weeks, and it is reading 68-70RH with a wet washcloth on the bottom in a bowl, and some water in a small bowl up top. This is after having sealed the top window as best I could. Wondering if it should be higher at this point, and if it should, am I still leaking.... What a pain!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Man, this just sucks. I'm at a loss as to what to suggest at this point. I assume the cloth and water bowl have been in there for the 2 weeks without the humidor being opened regularly. I would pull them out and see where the RH settles.

What is your ambient Temp and RH?

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked last night. Not going above 66f/72rh. Everything is perfect in the tupperdors.... should I risk it by making the transfer back to the humi?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would say go ahead. The environment in the humi seems to be holding steady so you should be OK. It will take some time for things to acclimate, so be patient. Keep us posted. If anything I would expect the RH to be a bit high at first...

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help, but this humidor will be nothing but an expensive paperweight.

I went to load it up last night, and mold was already there to greet me. Here are some photos. I seasoned the box with the shelf inside. There was a glass dessert bowl with a soaked washcloth in it, directly underneath the shelf. The shelf had mold on it.

When I had the first bout of mold, it was when I was using the humistat on the humidor lid, and behind the humistat was mold on and around the magnet. I'd cleaned it with iso alcohol, but didn't seem to help. There was a small bowl of dist. water on top of the shelf.

Guess I'll be using the tupperware permanently. What a shame!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm sorry man, this has just been an all around shitty experience for you. I think you could still salvage the humidor, but can understand your frustration.

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin is a class act, no doubt about it. He sent a beautiful humidor along with some unexpected, but very nice goodies. A million thank you's for this over-the-top act of generosity.